British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Happy Thanksgiving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/happy-thanksgiving-409604/)

carolf Nov 22nd 2006 5:25 pm

Happy Thanksgiving

Wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving. Are you all turkey eaters, or will you be having something different for your Thanksgiving meal?

We are having a traditional meal, Turkey, Ham, wine, and a few forbidden delights, like candy and cakes.

ENJOY your Thanksgiving!! :) ;)

Manc Nov 22nd 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Pah.

this time tomorow I shall be dining on fish and chips, pot noodles and copious pints of beer not too cold where it takes the enamel off my teeth.

Kate2112 Nov 22nd 2006 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by carolf
Wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving. Are you all turkey eaters, or will you be having something different for your Thanksgiving meal?

We are having a traditional meal, Turkey, Ham, wine, and a few forbidden delights, like candy and cakes.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Carol!

This time tomorrow I'll be enjoying the finest cuisine Max and Benny's has to offer ;) curtesy of my SIL. If I get a glass of wine I'll be the family lush...again. What oh :D

Elvira Nov 22nd 2006 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
Thanksgiving Pah.

this time tomorow I shall be dining on fish and chips, pot noodles and copious pints of beer not too cold where it takes the enamel off my teeth.

I'm supposed to be bringing hors d'oevres to a multiple household festivity (they didn't exactly call it a Pot Luck but...)

I basically can't be Rsed - any suggestions re. stuff that takes zero effort welcome

Almost forgot: Happy Thanksgiving! :)

jen_andreson Nov 22nd 2006 5:37 pm

Thank you, Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Yes, we're doing a traditional dinner, turkey, cranberry, mash, sweet pots, sprouts, for about 16 people. And....lots of wine! Pudding is pumpkin pie, apple pie, and mincemeat pie. It's mainly Americans/my husband's family, but I've got some UK family visiting too.

Needless to say I am baking away today to get the pies done--my sister and BIL have taken the kiddies out for some afternoon quality time.

Kate2112 Nov 22nd 2006 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm supposed to be bringing hors d'oevres to a multiple household festivity (they didn't exactly call it a Pot Luck but...)

I basically can't be Rsed - any suggestions re. stuff that takes zero effort welcome :)

Yep go to store buy horses doovers, cook same, pile onto niceish platter (not too nice as hostess may regard this as a gift) Claim to have slaved over it all last night. Presto!

Elvira Nov 22nd 2006 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Yep go to store buy horses doovers, cook same, pile onto niceish platter (not too nice as hostess may regard this as a gift) Claim to have slaved over it all last night. Presto!

All right, clever cloggs - now tell me where is my nearest M&S :p

jen_andreson Nov 22nd 2006 5:42 pm

Too right. M&S would save the day.

Do you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods? We've had good luck with TJs in the past.

gardnma Nov 22nd 2006 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by carolf

Yer, we will be doing the thxgiving meal. This year we have a precooked turkey breast. The Mrs will do yams, stuffing, a green veg dish, and lots of baking. We will watch the Macy's day parade and lounge like drunken, beached whales for a day or two.

Kate2112 Nov 22nd 2006 5:43 pm

There has to be a deli somewhere in Cali that can manage a few Horses Doovers? Going to M&S might make the cost a little prohibitive :D

Hayley Nov 22nd 2006 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
Thanksgiving Pah.

Glad to know I'm not the only thanksgiving party pooper.

Got to admire posts like hers though- I can't see myself ever being excited about American customs and calling it Candy.
Miserable git I know.

Lord Lionheart Nov 22nd 2006 5:45 pm

I basically can't be Rsed - any suggestions re. stuff that takes zero effort welcome

Almost forgot: Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Trader Joe's - Mushroom turnovers, escargot in brioche and loads of other appetisers you simply pop in the oven and warm. They also have great cheeses such as French Brie and English stilton with apricots and some crackers :) Couple of bottles of red or sparkling wine from there too.
$30 done.

gardnma Nov 22nd 2006 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112
There has to be a deli somewhere in Cali that can manage a few Horses Doovers? :D

Oh sh!t. I haven't heard that one in ages.

Thank you, thank you. :D

Kate2112 Nov 22nd 2006 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by gardnma
Oh sh!t. I haven't heard that one in ages.

Thank you, thank you. :D

:)

gardnma Nov 22nd 2006 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hayley
Glad to know I'm not the only thanksgiving party pooper.

Got to admire posts like hers though- I can't see myself ever being excited about American customs and calling it Candy.
Miserable git I know.

Yeah, I said that too! ;)