British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Happy Holidays - have a nice day .. Grrrr (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/happy-holidays-have-nice-day-grrrr-338009/)

franc11s Nov 17th 2005 5:25 pm

Happy Holidays - have a nice day .. Grrrr

Is it me or is anyone else fed up when they hear "Happy Holidays".

Shall we Brits come up with an instant response. My personal fave is going to be "... and a Happy CHRISTMAS to you too"... What's yours...

Heck when I hear Happy Holidays I think 2 weeks in Majorca (when I was 20)...

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 17th 2005 5:30 pm

Re: Happy Holidays - have a nice day .. Grrrr

Originally Posted by franc11s
Is it me or is anyone else fed up when they hear "Happy Holidays".

Shall we Brits come up with an instant response. My personal fave is going to be "... and a Happy CHRISTMAS to you too"... What's yours...

Heck when I hear Happy Holidays I think 2 weeks in Majorca (when I was 20)...

Bah humbug?

Are they going to rewrite all the songs?

Bing Crosby:
"Im dreaming of a white holiday.....just like the holidays I knew before."

John Lennon:
"So this is holidays....and what have we done? Another year older another begun."

Anon:
"We wish you a merry holiday...we wish you..."

Band Aid:
"Its holiday time....and we're having fun. At holiday time. We let in light and banish pain."

Etc

fatbrit Nov 17th 2005 5:36 pm

Er.... Happy Chrismukkah!

redlobster Nov 17th 2005 5:42 pm

And dont forget

It Was The Night Before Cxxxxxxx, and all through the House.Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse .

Ahhhhhhhhh.
Redlobster

ladylisa Nov 17th 2005 5:56 pm

I guess Christmas Island will have to be renamed.

gruffbrown Nov 17th 2005 5:59 pm

Charles Dickens-A Holiday Carol

franc11s Nov 17th 2005 6:03 pm

How about everyone who doesn't say Merry Christmas, we make them work the entire week of the 25th :)

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas (3 weeks off for me) :beer:

Elsie The Maid Nov 17th 2005 7:11 pm

The bagger at Kroger said "Happy Holidays" last night. I did a double-take, I wasn't sure if he was talking about xmas or Tgiving. Too early for either one, and why wouldn't you just say Happy Thanksgiving??? :rolleyes:

Partystar Nov 17th 2005 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
The bagger at Kroger said "Happy Holidays" last night. I did a double-take, I wasn't sure if he was talking about xmas or Tgiving. Too early for either one, and why wouldn't you just say Happy Thanksgiving??? :rolleyes:

Just in case you got offended because you didn't have anything to be thankful for!!! Who knows what all the fuss is about when it comes to this PC crap!

BigDavyG Nov 17th 2005 7:17 pm

Christmas is about family and friends and forgetting about all the cr*p that takes place during the other 51 weeks of the year.
I don't really care what its called but out of a point of principle I always refer to it as Christmas, not the holidays. How anyone could take offence at it is beyond me.
As commented of another thread, its funny how the PC brigade try to spread tolerance and liberty for all by actually being incredibly intolerant towards certain groups.

My god I'm bored today :zzz:

Elsie The Maid Nov 17th 2005 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
Just in case you got offended because you didn't have anything to be thankful for!!! Who knows what all the fuss is about when it comes to this PC crap!

I should have ranted and raved at him..."Excuse me, but I don't celebrate American holidays, I'm highly offended and demand that you be fired immediately" :D

Partystar Nov 17th 2005 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
As commented of another thread, its funny how the PC brigade try to spread tolerance and liberty for all by actually being incredibly intolerant towards certain groups.

Yes, how ironic it all is, those PC people are a bunch of moronic twats!

Big D Nov 17th 2005 7:24 pm

Our local radio station is running capaign to put the Christ back into Christmas - and i fully support it! Regardless of religious beliefs that is what this holiday is all about!

In London a couple of the boroughs have changed the name to 'winter lights' instead of Christmas lights - the local ethnic communities think its hilarious and would not have been offended at all!!!

Elsie The Maid Nov 17th 2005 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yes, how ironic it all is, those PC people are a bunch of moronic twats!

Shouldn't that be "Twat Challenged" ?

Rushman Nov 17th 2005 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
Our local radio station is running capaign to put the Christ back into Christmas - and i fully support it! Regardless of religious beliefs that is what this holiday is all about!

In London a couple of the boroughs have changed the name to 'winter lights' instead of Christmas lights - the local ethnic communities think its hilarious and would not have been offended at all!!!

There's a weird thing!!!

I am all for "Christmas" and all it entails. However, it is pretty well established that Jesus Christ was NOT born on December 25th. The reason Christ's birthday is celebrated on December 25th is because all the ancient pagans of the British Isles wouldn't give up the mid winter festivals. Therefore the Church made it a Christian festival by claiming that it was Christ's birthday.
So in reality, calling them the winter lights or a winter festival is more historically correct than actually calling it Christmas. But f**k history, I want presents and loads of booze and the dirty sex that a drunken wife provides so bollocks to paganism. Gimme Christmas