British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Happy days. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/happy-days-896095/)

sarasota chic Apr 29th 2017 9:18 pm

Happy days.

We are due to fly out to Shreveport Louisania on Monday May 8th, I start at Wills Knighton Hospital on May 15th, apartment is secured etc. So I receive a phone call from my employer O'Grady Peyton telling me that I'm not going to Louisania as there's been a massive cock up with my nursing licence by the CFGNS!! Now my employer is talking about a job in Phoenix Arizona does anyone on here lived or visited Arizona if so what's it like? I've been looking at the Scottsdale area which looks quite decent.
Stress levels are through the roof, flights are booked, our personnel effects have been picked up by Pickfords and our dog is booked for Petair Uk to be picked up on Friday 5th May to be delivered to Shreveport!! Happy days

LouisB Apr 29th 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Happy days.

Omg what a mixup - good luck getting it sorted!

Noorah101 Apr 29th 2017 10:56 pm

I live in Mesa and work in Tempe. I've lived in the Phoenix area for 32 years and I love it.

Rene

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 29th 2017 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12241209)
We are due to fly out to Shreveport Louisania on Monday May 8th, I start at Wills Knighton Hospital on May 15th, apartment is secured etc. So I receive a phone call from my employer O'Grady Peyton telling me that I'm not going to Louisania as there's been a massive cock up with my nursing licence by the CFGNS!! Now my employer is talking about a job in Phoenix Arizona does anyone on here lived or visited Arizona if so what's it like? I've been looking at the Scottsdale area which looks quite decent.
Stress levels are through the roof, flights are booked, our personnel effects have been picked up by Pickfords and our dog is booked for Petair Uk to be picked up on Friday 5th May to be delivered to Shreveport!! Happy days

Sorry for the mix up and stress, I hope they get it all sorted quickly.

Mind you if I had the choice I would go for Arizona over Louisiana ;)

mrken30 Apr 30th 2017 1:14 am

My MIL goes to Scottsdale for 3 months every year. I have been, it seems a nice place to live. The pasties are a bit salty, but fairly similar to back in the UK. My co-worker has just moved up from Phoenix.

I would agree Arizona is better tha Louisian , I have been to both States on visits.

DebzinUS Apr 30th 2017 1:22 am

It's strange that you were scheduled to start on May 15th, without having license in hand? Too bad you couldn't email/call the LA BON and find out whats going on with your license. Have you tried a license look up on the BON web site? if you choose to go to AZ, You will have to start the AZ license process, although I think AZ has a temp license option while your application processes. Hopefully, you wont have to wait weeks or months for a license. Sorry it's a mess.

ch2016 Apr 30th 2017 3:44 am

Wow - as if moving over isn't stressful enough (did it a few months ago).
Think of it as an (enforced) opportunity to road trip a few states.

sarasota chic Apr 30th 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by DebzinUS (Post 12241280)
It's strange that you were scheduled to start on May 15th, without having license in hand? Too bad you couldn't email/call the LA BON and find out whats going on with your license. Have you tried a license look up on the BON web site? if you choose to go to AZ, You will have to start the AZ license process, although I think AZ has a temp license option while your application processes. Hopefully, you wont have to wait weeks or months for a license. Sorry it's a mess.

I thought I should've had the license in hand but according to the Louisania BON they were waiting for,the CES report, when they received the CES report the BON claims I'm deficent in Paediatrics which I'm not. The mix up has come because I was an Enrolled Nurse and then converted to Registered Nurse and did paediatrics within the Enrolled Nurse training. When I applied for the Pennsylvania license back in 2004 no problem and luckily I kept the license active.
So if I get placed in Arizona I won't have the same issues. I'm so fed up this happening at the last minute.:banghead::banghead:

DebzinUS Apr 30th 2017 12:55 pm

If you have an AZ license, you can work in any of the 26 compact states. At least you don't have to take the NCLEX again. There's a silver lining :) Next year there is an enhanced compact coming- all the new compact States will have the same requirements (background check/fingerprints/CEU etc) Florida will be a part of the new compact.

Just a thought... if you have an active RN license couldn't you just endorse to a new just like any of us do when we move?

Good luck!

carcajou Apr 30th 2017 1:39 pm

Scottsdale is a much, much better place to live and work than Shreveport.

I realise that it is stressful now, but consider this a good omen.

aless02 Apr 30th 2017 2:57 pm

Having lived in neither *but visited both), but growing up in the middle, Texas, I also agree that I'd much rather live in AZ than LA. Humidity alone is a good reason! Best of luck, I can't imagine that's a very nice situation to be shoved into!!

sarasota chic Apr 30th 2017 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by DebzinUS (Post 12241457)
If you have an AZ license, you can work in any of the 26 compact states. At least you don't have to take the NCLEX again. There's a silver lining :) Next year there is an enhanced compact coming- all the new compact States will have the same requirements (background check/fingerprints/CEU etc) Florida will be a part of the new compact.

Just a thought... if you have an active RN license couldn't you just endorse to a new just like any of us do when we move?

Good luck!

I thought I could get the Louisania license by endorsement but for some reason it didn't happen.

sarasota chic Apr 30th 2017 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12241467)
Scottsdale is a much, much better place to live and work than Shreveport.

I realise that it is stressful now, but consider this a good omen.

I have looked online at both Arizona and Louisiana and I have to agree with you and other posters that Arizona appears nicer than Louisania so maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

markonline1 Apr 30th 2017 6:36 pm

I only spent a week in Phoenix last December with work, and it was enough to make me want to move there. Absolutely loved the place. But then as the people that lived there said, come back in the summer and see if you still want to live here.

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 30th 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12241584)
I only spent a week in Phoenix last December with work, and it was enough to make me want to move there. Absolutely loved the place. But then as the people that lived there said, come back in the summer and see if you still want to live here.

Have you ever been in Louisiana in the summer months?:lol: