Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Happy Boxing Day!

Happy Boxing Day!

Old Dec 26th 2004, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy Boxing Day!

No-one here seems to have heard of Boxing Day!!!! Well, hope everyone had a Merry Christmas - ate lots, drank lots and has not too much of a hangover today!

We had a really bad ice storm that just made the roads awful the last copule of days... but it looked so pretty Christmas Day Here are a few pics

I am sooooooo excited about going home Thursday - talked to my mum a little while ago and she is telling me about all the goodies from Marks & Spencer she's bought me - and Irn Bru and lots of Maltesers yippeeeeee
Attached Thumbnails Happy Boxing Day!-1.jpg   Happy Boxing Day!-2.jpg   Happy Boxing Day!-4.jpg   Happy Boxing Day!-5.jpg   Happy Boxing Day!-7.jpg  

Old Dec 27th 2004, 2:22 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy Boxing Day!

No one where I live had heard of it either. So with that in mind we had a fab Boxing Day party and now all our friends and the inlaws are converts to it.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:47 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
No-one here seems to have heard of Boxing Day!!!! Well, hope everyone had a Merry Christmas - ate lots, drank lots and has not too much of a hangover today!

We had a really bad ice storm that just made the roads awful the last copule of days... but it looked so pretty Christmas Day Here are a few pics

I am sooooooo excited about going home Thursday - talked to my mum a little while ago and she is telling me about all the goodies from Marks & Spencer she's bought me - and Irn Bru and lots of Maltesers yippeeeeee
Don't get me wrong Lesley, but you look gorgeous in those thumb nail photos tagged onto yer post. You have such a nice face that photographs so well. I'd do anything for your secret.

When I moved permanently to the USA I was shocked when I got told that the day after Christmas was a working day (Christmas that year fell on a weekday); it was the first Boxing Day I every worked. It felt very weird being in work on Boxing Day. No one knew what Boxing Day was ... and get this, when a few of my co-workers asked me what Boxing Day stood for all I could say was, "It's the first day after Christmas". I got blank looks; I realized my reply was pretty anal. I still don't know what Boxing Day stands for. It's funny how we just take it for granted that Boxing Day is a national holiday but what it stands for nobody knows ... well, I didn't ... except that there seems to be a lot of horse racing and a few soccer matches on Boxing Day.

Can anyone help me explain what Boxing Day is? Cheers ...

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Dec 27th 2004 at 10:21 pm.

Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:35 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

No one's 100% sure on the origins. Snopes has this to say...
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
No one's 100% sure on the origins. Snopes has this to say...
Well there ya go... I never knew what it was all about either - but any excuse for a holiday sounds good me me

It did feel more than weird being back at work today when I know everyone at home is still on holiday - still I can hardly complain I have 8 days coming up... although I found out today that it may be unpaid.... I guess you should never assume anything eh! I also found out today (well I sort of knew already) that the company I am working for are not doing well at all right now and that there may be layoffs and since our boss was in about her bitchiest mood ever she decided to fly in on her broomstick and make sure everyone knew it....

It's all very confusing since we are still going back and forth with the attorney on the labor certification possibilities and the possibility of that road still being possible with the implementation of PERM but his suggestion to me now is to switch to an F1 student visa and go to school..... I do have enough money to support the first year when you cant work off campus if I sell my house.. but heck I dunno. I used to be confused, now I'm not so sure

I know that ultimately R will be moving back here, probably sooner than he planned, and he has told me that I can live in his house no probs, so there is no accommodation problem and I would like to be staying in the country off my own back rather than dramatically speeding up the long term possibilities for us.

OK... I will quit rambling now!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:57 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Well there ya go... I never knew what it was all about either - but any excuse for a holiday sounds good me me

It did feel more than weird being back at work today when I know everyone at home is still on holiday - still I can hardly complain I have 8 days coming up... although I found out today that it may be unpaid.... I guess you should never assume anything eh! I also found out today (well I sort of knew already) that the company I am working for are not doing well at all right now and that there may be layoffs and since our boss was in about her bitchiest mood ever she decided to fly in on her broomstick and make sure everyone knew it....

It's all very confusing since we are still going back and forth with the attorney on the labor certification possibilities and the possibility of that road still being possible with the implementation of PERM but his suggestion to me now is to switch to an F1 student visa and go to school..... I do have enough money to support the first year when you cant work off campus if I sell my house.. but heck I dunno. I used to be confused, now I'm not so sure

I know that ultimately R will be moving back here, probably sooner than he planned, and he has told me that I can live in his house no probs, so there is no accommodation problem and I would like to be staying in the country off my own back rather than dramatically speeding up the long term possibilities for us.

OK... I will quit rambling now!
Can he marry? Do you love each other? Do you want to be together? If you get married you can get Federal Loans at pretty good interest rates so you might not have to sell your house to finance your first year at college; you could sell your house to buy another house near to your college and rent our rooms or do whatever it takes to get by. Once you are married you can get AOS and work authorization and work your way through college. I don't see any need to do it the really hard way if there is a middle road/option. But just my feelings, this is not advice so take it with a pinch of salt (maybe two pinches of salt). It could all go belly-up, your savings (and house) could be spent on a divorce lawyer, counseling, flight back to Glasgow, and you might get hit by a truck. But you already know what it takes to make a life changing decision; didn't you get yourself over here against pretty big odds? Just one more mile ... and you could be on the USA version of Sauchiehall Street! Good luck!

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Dec 28th 2004 at 12:59 am.