Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Handgun grip - what is the best way to hold a gun

Handgun grip - what is the best way to hold a gun

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 5:57 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Handgun grip - what is the best way to hold a gun

Having my own gun for the first time (a Christmas present from the wife), I have been visiting the range a lot. Mainly to prepare for my concealed carry course in 2 weeks.
The only way I hold my gun is the way I was first shown. I started thinking that it may be a good way, but not the best way. Before I get in to the habit of holding it in any particular way I'd like to know its the best way.

FYI - Its a XD 45 ACP. When I have a full clip of 14 rounds it is fairly heavy. So a 2 hand grip is the only way I can shoot with any real accuracy.
I am off to the range this afternoon and will be trying this grip, I am told is a 'combat' grip.

I will not be conceal carrying my XD as its a little too large, although it will be in my car when I travel. I have yet to find the perfect small hand gun to carry, so any recommendations in this area are also welcome.

So how do you hold your gun? Recommendations please.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:00 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Handgun grip - what is the best way to hold a gun

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Having my own gun for the first time (a Christmas present from the wife), I have been visiting the range a lot. Mainly to prepare for my concealed carry course in 2 weeks.
The only way I hold my gun is the way I was first shown. I started thinking that it may be a good way, but not the best way. Before I get in to the habit of holding it in any particular way I'd like to know its the best way.

FYI - Its a XD 45 ACP. When I have a full clip of 14 rounds it is fairly heavy. So a 2 hand grip is the only way I can shoot with any real accuracy.
I am off to the range this afternoon and will be trying this grip, I am told is a 'combat' grip.

I will not be conceal carrying my XD as its a little too large, although it will be in my car when I travel. I have yet to find the perfect small hand gun to carry, so any recommendations in this area are also welcome.

What do you need a gun in your car for?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:08 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

a Christmas present from the wife
What a wife! All I got was aftershave and a few dvds .....
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:17 pm

I get the impression we are heading down the anti-gun ownership route here?

Owning a handgun for defense is pointless unless you can actually put your hands on it. I will have a concealed carry permit and be trained in safe gun use and ownership. I am fairly certain I will never need to draw it to defend myself or my family. Guns are common place, I didn't ask them to be available to people intent on harming others, the fact is that they are available to anyone. I am levelling the playing field, thats all.

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

That's the way I hold mine, so of course it's right....
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

It's for hobos....
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression we are heading down the anti-gun ownership route here?

Owning a handgun for defense is pointless unless you can actually put your hands on it. I will have a concealed carry permit and be trained in safe gun use and ownership. I am fairly certain I will never need to draw it to defend myself or my family. Guns are common place, I didn't ask them to be available to people intent on harming others, the fact is that they are available to anyone.
I'm not anti-ownership by any means ..... used to own one myself and knew how to use it. Kept it at my bedside in the event of intruders - never needed it.

The reason I ask the question about the car is that quite often guns get into the wrong hands because they are stolen out of cars.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:25 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not anti-ownership by any means ..... used to own one myself and knew how to use it. Kept it at my bedside in the event of intruders - never needed it.

The reason I ask the question about the car is that quite often guns get into the wrong hands because they are stolen out of cars.
Not if you disguise them.
Attached Thumbnails Handgun grip - what is the best way to hold a gun-img141_size2.jpg  
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:28 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Not if you disguise them.
That is positively phallic. :scared:
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:39 pm

OK, I am glad your not anti-ownership.
The father-in-law has already taken me down this avenue. He has a holster under the dash and a safer place to leave it when he leaves it in the car. You could not find it by accident. A gun can of course be stolen from your home too.
I took 2 gun safety courses before I got this gun, at the request of the wife. Sue has owned guns all her life and her father instilled sensible gun ownership at a very early age.
When I took charge of the gun I fully understood the responsibilities that entailed.

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm back in England, withering sarcasm is my weapon of choice.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 6:58 pm
WTF?

OK, I am glad your not anti-ownership.
The father-in-law has already taken me down this avenue. He has a holster under the dash and a safer place to leave it when he leaves it in the car. You could not find it by accident. A gun can of course be stolen from your home too.
I took 2 gun safety courses before I got this gun, at the request of the wife. Sue has owned guns all her life and her father instilled sensible gun ownership at a very early age.
When I took charge of the gun I fully understood the responsibilities that entailed.
It's entirely up to you what you do (of course) I just know that car/truck robberies are much more common than home robberies. I never felt that I needed on in my car. Mainly because I would be afraid I couldn't get to it fast enough. My uncle keeps three but they're mainly for snakes or coyotes (etc)in the country - very low crime rate - very low human population period.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:07 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

You are not from Texas, are you??
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:39 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Ray will help you with your dilemma no doubt..

Where is he by the way?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:40 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Ray will help you with your dilemma no doubt..

Where is he by the way?
An old bullet wound is playing him up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.