Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hand knitters?

Wikiposts

hand knitters?

Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:44 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: hand knitters?

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
.... years....been getting into quilt making instead
There was a pattern in one of those wimmins magazines in S.Africa a couple of years before I came here and I thought..this looks good, let me try it (log cabin). I got the bug then, but too expensive (and the fabrics were too flimsy over there).

Well, I came here and couldn't believe the selection of quilting tools/threads/fabric etc.

Made me mum a Victorian memory quilt (crazy quilt) for Christmas last year, with pics from the time we were babies, right through to her grandkids (awesome what you can do with fabric, a copier and an iron nowadays!), and used velvets, satins, silks, lace, etc.. Took six months of working on it every day, but it was worth it

Have made the kids various quilts over the years, am about to start one for the oldest made up of pieces of his old jeans.

Also working on this one, about 3 blocks of hand-quilting to left to do, but made it in 'vineyard' greens and ocean blues as opposed to desert landscapes.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: hand knitters?

Originally Posted by izibear
There was a pattern in one of those wimmins magazines in S.Africa a couple of years before I came here and I thought..this looks good, let me try it (log cabin). I got the bug then, but too expensive (and the fabrics were too flimsy over there).

Well, I came here and couldn't believe the selection of quilting tools/threads/fabric etc.

Made me mum a Victorian memory quilt (crazy quilt) for Christmas last year, with pics from the time we were babies, right through to her grandkids (awesome what you can do with fabric, a copier and an iron nowadays!), and used velvets, satins, silks, lace, etc.. Took six months of working on it every day, but it was worth it

Have made the kids various quilts over the years, am about to start one for the oldest made up of pieces of his old jeans.

Also working on this one, about 3 blocks of hand-quilting to left to do, but made it in 'vineyard' greens and ocean blues as opposed to desert landscapes.
WOW! thats beautiful!...I know what you mean about the fabric!....I hate going into Hancock Fabrics 'just for one little thing!',because either my husband or son have to come and just about wrench me out,an hour or so later!....I started by making a 1 yard square wall hanging,all paper-pieced,that was a log cabin as well,it was great,until I tried piecing it together!,there was always one seam which wouldn't match up....in the end I put it together with a sashing strip between each block so it looks like you're looking at it through a window!....it looks great!...then I made a peiced quilt,also for the wall,but 54''X54'',it was a churn dash block but I fiddled about with it!(was going to put a photo of them on here but don't know how to do it!)?????...I know I'll never be as good as I'd like to be, but it's such a lovely feeling when you look at the finished work,isn't it?!,especially when you know it's THE only one exactly like it out there!...I've got another one floating around in my mind as well! In the meantime I've been making Sun Bonnet Sue blocks,all different colours and all blanket stitch appliqued,haven't put them together yet though,but I will eventually!
Got any photos of your quilts?,I'd love to see them....Sophia
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:27 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
WOW! thats beautiful!...I know what you mean about the fabric!....I hate going into Hancock Fabrics 'just for one little thing!',because either my husband or son have to come and just about wrench me out,an hour or so later!....I started by making a 1 yard square wall hanging,all paper-pieced,that was a log cabin as well,it was great,until I tried piecing it together!,there was always one seam which wouldn't match up....in the end I put it together with a sashing strip between each block so it looks like you're looking at it through a window!....it looks great!...then I made a peiced quilt,also for the wall,but 54''X54'',it was a churn dash block but I fiddled about with it!(was going to put a photo of them on here but don't know how to do it!)?????...I know I'll never be as good as I'd like to be, but it's such a lovely feeling when you look at the finished work,isn't it?!,especially when you know it's THE only one exactly like it out there!...I've got another one floating around in my mind as well! In the meantime I've been making Sun Bonnet Sue blocks,all different colours and all blanket stitch appliqued,haven't put them together yet though,but I will eventually!
Got any photos of your quilts?,I'd love to see them....Sophia
Sounds lovely! Funnily enough, have got one of those on my list of quilts to make. My niece is 1, and am going to be making it for her so it is ready when she moves into a bed.

I got a pattern for the Stars from a close online friend who sent me a book and it was in there. It is absolutely gorgeous in the brighter colors. Can't wait till it is ready to be put together.

Here is the very best site online.. Go to quilt block patterns and find pages and pages of different blocks with simple instructions.

I've been meaning to do some classes, so I can learn some tricks, but haven't had the time.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Sounds lovely! Funnily enough, have got one of those on my list of quilts to make. My niece is 1, and am going to be making it for her so it is ready when she moves into a bed.

I got a pattern for the Stars from a close online friend who sent me a book and it was in there. It is absolutely gorgeous in the brighter colors. Can't wait till it is ready to be put together.

Here is the very best site online.. Go to quilt block patterns and find pages and pages of different blocks with simple instructions.

I've been meaning to do some classes, so I can learn some tricks, but haven't had the time.

HAH! already got that website on my 'favourites!...here's another real goody...www.quilt.com lots of useful info as well as block patterns.....am going to email some pics to you right now....Sophia