Ham radio

Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ham radio

I'm thinking about going into ham radio, my father in law is a hard core amateur radio enthusiast, and there are things that would attract me too it. 1, the disaster preparedness and response applications of it, 2, there seems to be a very interesting network of people from around the world on it.

I know you need a license and a call sign, and learning Morse code is essential to that end, I think my father in law could give me some pointers, however I was wondering about actual start up costs as the equipment seems quite expensive.

Also I was just wanting to know if there was any other hams out there.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:28 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ham radio

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
I'm thinking about going into ham radio, my father in law is a hard core amateur radio enthusiast, and there are things that would attract me too it. 1, the disaster preparedness and response applications of it, 2, there seems to be a very interesting network of people from around the world on it.

I know you need a license and a call sign, and learning Morse code is essential to that end, I think my father in law could give me some pointers, however I was wondering about actual start up costs as the equipment seems quite expensive.

Also I was just wanting to know if there was any other hams out there.
I seem to remember this being big back in the 70's.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I was licensed in the UK. I looked into it here, but they don't recognise the British license and you have to start from scratch. I got mine so long ago, I doubt I could remember much of the stuff I needed to know for the exam (and never, ever use in real life!), so I didn't bother here.

I think it's pretty cheap to get started. Just look for a local club. As for the equipment, it depends on how deeply you want to get involved. You can get a basic handheld radio fir around $40, but if you want to DX (long distance communications), it can cost thousands for the radio, antennae and other things.

AFAIK, there is no longer a requirement for Morse. When I learned, I had to transmit and receive at 12 WPM, but even the Navy have dropped that now and I think amareurs have done the same.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Jan's DH here, KL5A/8, been a extra class for quite a few back when you did need to know CW to get on the HF bands. Anyway, it costs less than one would think these days-there are some dual band VHF handhelds out there for less than $40 each. I would have killed for that when I was getting started, I paid a couple hundred for a Kenwood back then.
If your FIL belongs to a club, I'd start there. They might have a library with the study materials one needs, figure $20 or so for the study guides, starter radio $40, and......Alinco has a 160m-10m 100W radio for $529! And that has that little hamster in my head working the wheel again. Heckuva deal there for a new radio. You don't need a big tower and "aluminium overcast" and mega amps to talk to the world, I used 100watts and wire amd talked from Alaska to Antarctica, South Africa, India, Europe, Austrailia (warning, Ozzies can wag the chin for hours. Bring coffee to the radio, you'll be there a while).
The internet took a lot of the excitement away but I still maintain the ticket, I did have to work for it after all, and have always thought of getting in going again. I do have some grandkids to impress now.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No idea on the license front, but for gear, don't discount craigslist.

I've no idea if it's any good, but I've seen quite a lot of it go up on CL in and around my area either from folks that have tried and got bored or from clearing out the attic kind of thing from dead relatives.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:03 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

I was licensed as G8 way back in 1980, let it lapse. Two years ago I took the Technician exam in DC, p&** easy, just rules and regs, passed that. They recommended I sit the General exam, amazingly remembered a lot and passed that. Failed the Extra but not that worried. Have full VHF and a lot of HF privileges.

No morse code needed. Some good ARRL books will guide you through the exams, Amazon has good prices on them.

I took a Vanity US callsign, so it matches my old G8xxx, now W8xxx.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
I know you need a license and a call sign, and learning Morse code is essential to that end,
The UK lost the morse test. Does the US still have it ?

Steve
Old Jan 1st 2014, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

No. Once the Navy gave it up, the rest of the world did too!

Eventually.