Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hallo from sunny AZ

Hallo from sunny AZ

Old May 1st 2008, 4:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hallo from sunny AZ

Originally Posted by geeandtee
I've only managed to make it to the George and Dragon once, it was pretty good. The landlord is an interesting person
There are two locations for the George & Dragon. The one I go to is near 48th Street and Broadway in Phoenix, kind of near the airport area.

The other one, which I've never been to, is near downtown Phoenix (I think?)

There have been some meetups in the Phoenix area in the past, but I've yet to make it to one.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There are two locations for the George & Dragon. The one I go to is near 48th Street and Broadway in Phoenix, kind of near the airport area.

The other one, which I've never been to, is near downtown Phoenix (I think?)

There have been some meetups in the Phoenix area in the past, but I've yet to make it to one.
Ah, ok, I went to the one near Indian School park. It's right by where the light rail will run and the Landlord was saying that all the construction had really hit his business.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I just recently tried this place in Tempe called "Cornish Pasty Co." They are opening one near me in Mesa now, too.

http://www.cornishpastyco.com/

Have any of you people in Phoenix eaten there, and is it "real"? LOL
It's real as in it's a chain in the UK

OP - welcome to BE
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:45 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
I only found BE after I'd lived here 8 years !!
Welcome...it'll certainly make interesting reading.
From landing to BE...24 years.

Of course, there was no such thing as an internet for the first decade or so.

Last edited by SagenOnion; May 2nd 2008 at 12:52 am.
Old May 5th 2008, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

SixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to allSixString is a name known to all

well, i don't feel so bad about not finding BE for so long now lol.

Cornish Pasty Co - Not kid friendly. It's a bar. There's one table at the very back of the place, where a family can eat, but otherwise, it's just a hole in the wall.
I've not tried the pasties yet, but will do soon. As i really miss my cornish pasties. Especially authentic ones from Cornwall Used to drive down there a lot just for a weekend binge of cornish pasties. haha.
(and rum n raisin fudge)

Nice to know there's so many more in the Phx area than just me.
I often see people driving cars/SUV's with either a Union Jack on them or a St George's Cross (the flag of England for those who aren't English, lol), and wonder if they're really brits in the car or not.
I need a "honk if you're British" sticker i think (probably a bad idea for me though, lol. i already get pissed off enough when i get honked for not pulling away from a traffic light the instant the light turns green. Or not turning right on red, and the muppet behind bibs his hooter. argh that annoys me so much. Now i just sit there if they bib me. lol. Wait till the light turns green and then go.
Old May 5th 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya SixString, welcome to BE.
Hubs usually gives me a little nudge in the ribs when I'm sitting at a red waiting to turn right, it's just not normal.
If hubs isn't there to remind me, my six year usually does.
Old May 6th 2008, 8:50 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

I just recently tried this place in Tempe called "Cornish Pasty Co." They are opening one near me in Mesa now, too.

http://www.cornishpastyco.com/

Have any of you people in Phoenix eaten there, and is it "real"? LOL

What I had wasn't bad, just curious how it compares with the real thing. I'm American, can you tell? lol

Rene

Hi from East Mesa

We love the Cornish Pasty place (pass-tee ). We get them part cooked, bring them home, stick them in the fridge for a couple of days and then finish them off in the oven..... yum.

There is also the Irish Gift House, its small but sells choc, HP sauce, biscuits etc.... you can also get proper easter eggs.... around easter of course. Costs a fortune but kids are well happy.

Fresh and Easy (tescos) sell back bacon. Its about $8.99 for 12 rashers. And they sell curries and nan breads.... yum again.

Been here about 3.5 years
Old May 6th 2008, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambuc
Hi from East Mesa

We love the Cornish Pasty place (pass-tee ). We get them part cooked, bring them home, stick them in the fridge for a couple of days and then finish them off in the oven..... yum.

There is also the Irish Gift House, its small but sells choc, HP sauce, biscuits etc.... you can also get proper easter eggs.... around easter of course. Costs a fortune but kids are well happy.

Fresh and Easy (tescos) sell back bacon. Its about $8.99 for 12 rashers. And they sell curries and nan breads.... yum again.

Been here about 3.5 years
Hi sambuc,have not seen you for ages.Where you been hiding???Have tried that back bacon but it is not like the bacon in UK.They dont have any British goods in there.(Ellsworth/Main)Hardly ever see anyone in there.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Hi sambuc,have not seen you for ages.Where you been hiding???Have tried that back bacon but it is not like the bacon in UK.They dont have any British goods in there.(Ellsworth/Main)Hardly ever see anyone in there.

Thanks for posting that, you 've saved me a road trip!!!!
Old May 7th 2008, 12:40 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

So who's going to arrange a meet-up then?
Old May 7th 2008, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So who's going to arrange a meet-up then?
oooh, now there's an idea.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:54 am
Just Joined

welshyank is an unknown quantity at this point

It's good to know so many expats live in AZ! A meet-up would be great!
Old May 7th 2008, 1:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We need an organizer. Someone with a cool head who stands firm but fair with the moaners and whiners who will want to change the day/time/venue at the last minute -- which rules me right out of the running! Having said that, organizer should ensure there is somewhere for yours truly to have his cigarette break regularly.

Any self nominations before we have to start picking on people to volunteer?
Old May 7th 2008, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
We need an organizer. Someone with a cool head who stands firm but fair with the moaners and whiners who will want to change the day/time/venue at the last minute -- which rules me right out of the running! Having said that, organizer should ensure there is somewhere for yours truly to have his cigarette break regularly.

Any self nominations before we have to start picking on people to volunteer?
Dang, that rules me out too. Hot-headed, impatient, and a smoker.
Old May 7th 2008, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshyank
It's good to know so many expats live in AZ! A meet-up would be great!
Hi there welshyank,Welcome to BE. There is a couple of Welsh families living around Thomas and 54 street in Phoenix and there are around thirty families out here in AJ and East Mesa,Queen Creek from England and Scotland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.