British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hallo from sunny AZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hallo-sunny-az-533206/)

SixString Apr 30th 2008 12:10 am

Hallo from sunny AZ

Well, i wish i'd known about this community when i first moved out here 7 years ago. It would've helped me adjust a lot easier most likely.

But i finally found this place. better late than never right? hehe.

Lots of reading to do, so i'll be a while before i post again i expect.
If anyone's got any good threads relevant/useful/good british food shops to living in the Phx/Scottsdale or surrounding areas, i'd be grateful if they could link me to them in this thread.

cheers.

p.s. I hope this is posted in the right place. If not, please would a mod move it to the right place. Thanks

Arizona Wurzel Apr 30th 2008 12:45 am

Re: Hallo from sunny AZ

Hi there sixstring,Welcome to BE from a ten stringer E9th in Apache Junction.

sambapink Apr 30th 2008 12:48 am

Originally Posted by SixString (Post 6285660)
Well, i wish i'd known about this community when i first moved out here 7 years ago. It would've helped me adjust a lot easier most likely.

If anyone's got any good threads relevant/useful/good british food shops to living in the Phx/Scottsdale or surrounding areas, i'd be grateful if they could link me to them in this thread.

cheers.

p.s. I hope this is posted in the right place. If not, please would a mod move it to the right place. Thanks

Hiya and welcome to BE! I only 'refound' this place after being here 6 months.. I really wish that i had used it more whilst in the process of moving here!! But hey-ho as you say.. we're here now!

I don't live in your area .. but im sure they'll be peeps along in a minute to help you out... :)

lisa67 Apr 30th 2008 2:39 am

I only found BE after I'd lived here 8 years !!
Welcome...it'll certainly make interesting reading. :D

geeandtee Apr 30th 2008 4:07 am

Not to worry, it took me 6 years to find it:o

I live in Coolidge, for my sins.

There's some British stuff to be found at Trader Joes, or World Market. If you find yourself down in Tucson, there's an English Tearooms where you can get real sausages (when they're in stock), black pudding, bacon, pork pies, etc. If you 're willing to take out a second mortgage, AJs has English cheeses.

anabella Apr 30th 2008 4:19 am

Have some welcome lovin' :wub:

SixString Apr 30th 2008 3:41 pm

thanks for all the responses.
Nice to feel welcome.

@geeandtee - Is the bacon at the shop in Tucson proper bacon, not the crap that you find on the shelves in the supermarkets round here that's all fat and no meat? And do they sell lincolnshire sausages?
the closest i can find to good bacon here is that canadian round bacon, which really tastes more like gammon steaks than bacon to me. Either way, it's not any good.

I shop at AJ's regularly, for my beers and other booze. They have an outstanding selection, although Safeway also started putting Stella Artois on the shelves as of last year, which really made me happy hehe. So when AJ's prices get me annoyed, i go to Safeway and pick up some Guinness and Stella. Since a 6 pack of both costs the same as 4 cans of Tetley from AJ's lol
(but nothing beats Tetley).

geeandtee Apr 30th 2008 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by SixString (Post 6288452)
thanks for all the responses.
Nice to feel welcome.

@geeandtee - Is the bacon at the shop in Tucson proper bacon, not the crap that you find on the shelves in the supermarkets round here that's all fat and no meat? And do they sell lincolnshire sausages?
the closest i can find to good bacon here is that canadian round bacon, which really tastes more like gammon steaks than bacon to me. Either way, it's not any good.

It's proper Danish back bacon with meat on it!!
The sausages tend to vary, sometimes Irish, sometimes Cumberland, I don't think they have Lincolnshire sausage.

Noorah101 Apr 30th 2008 5:15 pm

cheers.

Welcome from Mesa, AZ! :)

Rene

Noorah101 Apr 30th 2008 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6288871)
Welcome from Mesa, AZ! :)

Rene

I just recently tried this place in Tempe called "Cornish Pasty Co." They are opening one near me in Mesa now, too.

http://www.cornishpastyco.com/

Have any of you people in Phoenix eaten there, and is it "real"? LOL

What I had wasn't bad, just curious how it compares with the real thing. I'm American, can you tell? lol

Rene

britvic Apr 30th 2008 5:21 pm

cheers.

Welcome to BE :) It was my USC OH who found this site for me two years after living over here, it has to be right near the top of the list of the best thing's he's ever done for me :wub:

denzil75 Apr 30th 2008 10:24 pm

We lived out in Scottsdale just over 5 years ago and used to go to this British shop, it's in plaza right by the main road (Loop 101 I think)

http://www.britishgourmet.com/

It used to be an english man that ran it, granted he was grumpy at times but when you needed a malteaser fix he always delivered the goods.

Other than that I think we used AJ's as others have recommended.

Good luck :thumbsup:

meauxna Apr 30th 2008 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6288883)
I just recently tried this place in Tempe called "Cornish Pasty Co." They are opening one near me in Mesa now, too.

http://www.cornishpastyco.com/

Have any of you people in Phoenix eaten there, and is it "real"? LOL

What I had wasn't bad, just curious how it compares with the real thing. I'm American, can you tell? lol

Rene

:lol::rofl::lol:

This will never do around here!

"Peanut Butter and Jelly Pasty
Peanut butter, bananas and raspberry jelly.
As dessert with whipped cream or plain"

Cool logo.. what did you have Nene?

Noorah101 Apr 30th 2008 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6290053)
:lol::rofl::lol:

This will never do around here!

"Peanut Butter and Jelly Pasty
Peanut butter, bananas and raspberry jelly.
As dessert with whipped cream or plain"

Cool logo.. what did you have Nene?

We ordered a Shepherd's Pie pasty and an Oggie, and we shared. I liked the Shepherd's Pie better than the Oggie. Oh, and we also shared the Strawberry Pavlova dessert, which was really good!

There is a George & Dragon Pub/Restaurant near my work where I go for lunch a lot. Yummy Fish & Chips and Shepherd's Pie.

geeandtee May 1st 2008 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6290100)

There is a George & Dragon Pub/Restaurant near my work where I go for lunch a lot. Yummy Fish & Chips and Shepherd's Pie.

I've only managed to make it to the George and Dragon once, it was pretty good. The landlord is an interesting person :eek: