Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Half or Shared container advice Florida to UK

Half or Shared container advice Florida to UK

Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:38 am
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of
Default Re: Half or Shared container advice Florida to UK

Depends on whether there is a big difference in price between a shared container and a full sized one, if it's a lot cheaper than it's worth ditching stuff but if not then it's worth just putting it in the container. My other concern is that I would still have to find a way to dispose of left over things I don't take and household removals can be expensive too. The result might be not much of a saving.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It's not a fixation. If someone else is paying, then I'd throw everything in the container. If I were paying, then I'd keep the really important personal stuff and sell the rest, save the shipping costs and treat myself to new back in the UK.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:41 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megalaser
Depends on whether there is a big difference in price between a shared container and a full sized one, if it's a lot cheaper than it's worth ditching stuff but if not then it's worth just putting it in the container. My other concern is that I would still have to find a way to dispose of left over things I don't take and household removals can be expensive too. The result might be not much of a saving.
You know goodwill will come and collect if you really can't sell something?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I recently posted the cost of a twenty foot container on the UK forum.
Total cost was around $2800, we are around 120 miles from Norfolk VA and the final destination is the West Midlands.
We do our own packing and loading / unloading at both ends.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 2:18 am
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I recently posted the cost of a twenty foot container on the UK forum.
Total cost was around $2800, we are around 120 miles from Norfolk VA and the final destination is the West Midlands.
We do our own packing and loading / unloading at both ends.

Thanks for that
Old Nov 26th 2017, 5:32 am
Just Joined

ChrisK is an unknown quantity at this point

Years ago (at the dawn of widespread internet/web information) I phoned a shipping company (I believe it was Mason's) in Seattle for shipping household goods from Baltimore back to the UK. We got a 20' container brought to our door & 2 hours to load it (ourselves) for about $1,500. The container was on the ship the same day, arrived in London 9 days alter, and we then collected it from the depot a couple of days after that. I'm not sure whether that would even be possible today, but worth a try.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

London Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just shipped the other way from London to Orlando awaiting for it to arrive paid around 800 GB pounds but takes around 10 weeks company U PACK We Ship cant comment on how good til it arrives so far service was good
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 11:26 pm
James Chesterton

was that for a full 20ft container with you packing and unloading yourself?
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Megalaser Sorry no it was only around 4 ft X 4ft by 7 foot tall and yes it was a palet and box delivered to my door collected once I loaded it and now enroute to me near Orlando FL
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by London Bill
Megalaser Sorry no it was only around 4 ft X 4ft by 7 foot tall and yes it was a palet and box delivered to my door collected once I loaded it and now enroute to me near Orlando FL
Good to know as I have about that much stuff left in the UK, Books etc, too heavy to bring as luggage.

Maybe one day.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

https://upakweship.uk.com/shipping-s...s/u-crate-100/

This, seem ideal and they do a smaller one.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

David they have no weight limit at all I suggest you check their site I have no involvement with company so not happy posting the URL but feel free to message me direct I will send you a link
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

I found it and posted it, seems ideal for things like books etc.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Bill
.... they have no weight limit at all .....
All containers whether 10ft or 53ft, and all the intermediate lengths, are limited to approximately 1 ton/2000lbs per pallet, which is the standard load limit for a pallet.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
All containers whether 10ft or 53ft, and all the intermediate lengths, are limited to approximately 1 ton/2000lbs per pallet, which is the standard load limit for a pallet.
Not sure I have that many books, but would be nice to bring over some decent oak to burn.

I was offered a PTO Buzz Saw yesterday for $300 but I have no tractor..

Spent a couple of hours with my chainsaw, buzz saw is looking attractive!
Old Dec 4th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not sure I have that many books, but would be nice to bring over some decent oak to burn.

I was offered a PTO Buzz Saw yesterday for $300 but I have no tractor..

Spent a couple of hours with my chainsaw, buzz saw is looking attractive!
Take care with those PTO buzz saws they can be very dangerous some exposed blades and the PTO shields long gone.
There is no emergency stop only turning off the tractor which is not close to the saw itself.
I like those firewood processors but they are pricey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.