Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hairstylist moved to USA on K1 visa - Need advice please!

Hairstylist moved to USA on K1 visa - Need advice please!

Old Jan 6th 2016, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

abinational is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairstylist moved to USA on K1 visa - Need advice please!

Hi All,

I moved to New York in August of last year on a K1 visa. I finally got my employment authorisation through on the 24th of December and I'm trying to apply for my Hairstylist licence here. I only currently have my Diploma level 1 and NVQ Diploma level 2 certificates and to apply for the licence I need all three of the following:

(1) a school certificate;
(2) a school transcript listing subjects and hours completed;
AND
(3) a current, original Certification of Licensure from your state board or, if not licensed, a current Certification from your state's board verifying the hours claimed.

I believe the certificate I have covers part 3 and I've emailed my school to try and ask them for the other two but the only thing they've sent me is a copy of my learning agreement which states how many hours/weeks I agreed to complete.

My question is, are there any other UK originated hairdressers or NVQ qualification holders on here that can help me figure out what paperwork I need and where to get it?

Thank you.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairstylist moved to USA on K1 visa - Need advice please!

Get in touch with the state board would be the best thing.

You might need to start from scratch.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 7:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know in my State there are organisations that are recognised to translate foreign qualifications.

No doubt the specifics vary State by State like everything else.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 2:04 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Here in SC, my wife (with 30 years experience) had to go back to college and complete 1500 hours of 'training' at a ridiculous cost!!
Old Jan 7th 2016, 2:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Did you look at this?
NYS Division of Licensing Services

Have you been working for more than 5 years and can provide the documentation asked for?