Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hairdressers in USA

hairdressers in USA

Old Jul 15th 2006, 11:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hairdressers in USA

Originally Posted by anabella
Are they really that bad? Now that I think about it when I've been to Colorado on holidays I have had many people approaching me just to ask where I have my hair done.. and as it happens I am always experimenting with my own hair and I tend to colour and cut it myself... it's just fun!! Maybe people like my style? I am starting to get a really good feeling about working in hairdressing there. I am really passionate about it. I loved working in hairdressing when I first started, ages ago, but now I love it even more. I just find it really rewarding; it's very sociable and creative.

I have never been to Colorado, so cannot comment. Most of my 'hairdressing experience' has been in Northern California and The South/Bible Belt :scared: I am sure you can find good hairdressers in the big cities on the East Coast and other major metropolitan areas.

But you should do very well in Colorado - once you've jumped through all the hoops of paperwork that you are likely to need. (Hint: Yanks are BIG on rules and regulations and stuff... )

[I've just remembered - I have been to Denver, and not too long ago. But as it was business I don't have a clue what it's like. And the Art Museum was closed for renovations )

Last edited by Elvira; Jul 15th 2006 at 11:49 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 11:51 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I have never been to Colorado, so cannot comment. Most of my 'hairdressing experience' has been in Northern California and The South/Bible Belt :scared: I am sure you can find good hairdressers in the big cities on the East Coast and other major metropolitan areas.

But you should do very well in Colorado - once you've jumped through all the hoops of paperwork that you are likely to need. (Hint: Yanks are BIG on rules and regulations and stuff... )

I know what you mean, I am already getting a good idea of how much bureaucracy everything involves.. nothing is ever straight forward!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Judging by other areas of State Regulation, it is not likely to be too hard.

My wife was in the UK for 3 years and had a big problem when she came back trying to find somebody adequate.

Where about are you going in CO, if it is my way I will ask my Wife's friend for the local low down. Or I can ask my Wife to ask her hairdresser.

It did strike me that there might be a market for a Tony and Guy sort of operation, but I got the impression that getting quality stylists on a employment contract is next to impossible. Most want the freedom of being self employed and want to work their own book.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:24 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My wife favoured the Tono and Guy in Chobham, and her friend here ran a Salon.

Most stylists seems to be self employed and rent space from the Salon. So its getting a clientel that is the big step.

BUT, how do you propose to move to the US, if you have no Visa etc to work in the US everthing else is irrelevant.

PS: just drove past a new Salon in Longmont, all the signs were in Spanish so Spanish would definitely help.
Is Chobham in/near boulder? Excuse my ignorance, my knowledge of Colorado geography sucks! I'll be in a little town called Carbondale, near Glenwood Springs
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Is Chobham in/near boulder? Excuse my ignorance, my knowledge of Colorado geography sucks! I'll be in a little town called Carbondale, near Glenwood Springs

Mapquest is your friend!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, Chobham, Surrey!

Carbondale is a whole different market, half a days drive from me, probably not that many up market opportunities.

BUT it is a service town for Aspen and there are plenty of opportunities there.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:36 am

Mapquest is your friend!
You are right! I've just met Mapquest and it is my friend already!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Nope, Chobham, Surrey!

Carbondale is a whole different market, half a days drive from me, probably not that many up market opportunities.

BUT it is a service town for Aspen and there are plenty of opportunities there.
I guess that's where I'll end up working though it looks like quite a commute! It's almost 1 hours drive and in the UK I am used to driving 10 mins to get to work. I suppose I'll get used to it. I really don't know what to expect in Aspen, it looks soo snobby!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:52 am
Homebody

I guess that's where I'll end up working though it looks like quite a commute! It's almost 1 hours drive and in the UK I am used to driving 10 mins to get to work. I suppose I'll get used to it. I really don't know what to expect in Aspen, it looks soo snobby!

I understand Barbra Streisand has a house there.

Now there's a lady who's never had a decent haircut in her life!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:55 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Yeah, but which one held the coveted responsibility of ballsing everything up?
Well that's it, innit? Pass the buck and confuse the customer thereby bypassing the blame thing altogether!

I must say (and we've had a thread about this before) that hairdressers over here really are appalling...no style at all. There's this whole horrible Jennifer Anniston clone type thing that has morphed into the newsreader look and it terrifies me that I'll go into a hairdresser and come out looking like that! Luckily, my hairdresser is very good but it took me three tries and 5 years to find her.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:55 am

I understand Barbra Streisand has a house there.

Now there's a lady who's never had a decent haircut in her life!
lol
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:56 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
.........There's this whole horrible Jennifer Anniston clone type thing that has morphed into the newsreader look and it terrifies me....
Two words:

Nancy Grace :scared:
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:09 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Dear God, don't mention hairdressers, PLEASE!

I had the most horrific haircut when I first arrived nearly 10 years ago. A few months later decided to go to the most expensive salon in town, and after paying a FORTUNE for it, left in absolute tears. It was so bad that I didn't foot inside one for ages until I met a gal who is really good. She's a keeper. And I live in a fairly large city at that.

Trust me, you'll do really well once you get to be known.

Last edited by TouristTrap; Jul 16th 2006 at 1:11 am.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:27 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Two words:

Nancy Grace :scared:
Now I love Nancy Grace, but you're so right. Her hair is getting scarier by the minute! She needs to fire whoever is responsible for that thing!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:36 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about Colorado but here are the requirements for Cosmetology license in Southern California

1. Nationality : Korean or Vietnamese
2. First Name: Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.