Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HAIRDRESSERS IN NJ??

HAIRDRESSERS IN NJ??

Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

pickledpossum is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HAIRDRESSERS IN NJ??

Hi we have finally arrived in NJ (complete with dark roots) and so I have a question to ask of all the lovely ladies living in New Jersey. One of my urgent requirements, closely followed by a house and school for the kids of course, is to find a great hairdresser!! Can anybody point me in the right direction??

We are staying in Parsippany at the moment, although feel we shall end up in Millburn eventually, so anywhere around these parts are fine. Don't want to go cheap but on the otherhand do not want to have to take out a second mortgage to get my hair done every month either.

Thanks in advance

PP
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HAIRDRESSERS IN NJ??

Originally Posted by pickledpossum
Hi we have finally arrived in NJ (complete with dark roots) and so I have a question to ask of all the lovely ladies living in New Jersey. One of my urgent requirements, closely followed by a house and school for the kids of course, is to find a great hairdresser!! Can anybody point me in the right direction??

We are staying in Parsippany at the moment, although feel we shall end up in Millburn eventually, so anywhere around these parts are fine. Don't want to go cheap but on the otherhand do not want to have to take out a second mortgage to get my hair done every month either.

Thanks in advance

PP
I used to live near where you are staying...Englishmum lives where you will be living...maybe she can recommend a hairdresser. Failing that try any of the salons in the Short Hill Mall...although they will be pricey.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:32 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: HAIRDRESSERS IN NJ??

Welcome to the USA, PP! (You moved here from Oz, I think?)

Do look me up if you come and visit or choose to live in Millburn/Short Hills.

I've been hearing good reports about a hairdresser's called "Fringe" on Springfield Ave (route 124), Maplewood (4-5 mins drive from Millburn) and apparently it's an Aveda concept salon with very reasonable prices. Hairdressers here certainly don't do apprenticeships as they do in the UK but they do have to have a state licence.

You can look up the reports on the messageboard on

http://www.maplewoodonline.com

Click on the main heading for the "Please Help" section and there is a thread with the title 'Has any tried Fringe (hair salon)?". Lots of positive reviews and the last post to the thread - at the time of writing this - was on 25th Sept.

(I have longish straight hair so I don't need to get my hair styled at a top quality salon, I just go for a basic trim).
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:25 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Hi pp,

I recently moved to NJ. Hair Salon in Summit was recommended to me:
http://www.hairsalonsummit.com/Pages/Welcome.html

I was told Maria is great but she was booked so Craig did my colour and Marina the cut and I love it! Best haircut and colour I have ever had! Definately not cheap but it feels so great I think it was worth it.

When my stylist heard my accent she told me they get a lot of Brits in there.

HTH

L

PS: If you try somewhere like Fringe let us know how you get on
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi there, thanks for all the info, tried Fringe today. Took my 7 year old son along to get his hair cut and also to suss the place out first with a view to booking my appointment if I liked what I saw.

Well, I was firstly told that for my son to get a trim would cost $50, and that they wouldn't be able to get him in before the end of next month

They wouldn't be able to do me til the end of November!!! Triple

Shall try Hair Salon in Summit tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

PP
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, thanks for all the info, tried Fringe today. Took my 7 year old son along to get his hair cut and also to suss the place out first with a view to booking my appointment if I liked what I saw.

Well, I was firstly told that for my son to get a trim would cost $50, and that they wouldn't be able to get him in before the end of next month

PP
Welcome to New Jersey...everything apart from Mickey D's happy meals is expensive here.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to New Jersey...everything apart from Mickey D's happy meals is expensive here.

Oh I don't know, found some great deals in the Wine Library on Saturday I'm partial to the odd glass of NZ Sav Blanc and was paying double in Sydney for what you can pick it up here
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:56 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Oh I don't know, found some great deals in the Wine Library on Saturday I'm partial to the odd glass of NZ Sav Blanc and was paying double in Sydney for what you can pick it up here
I love my local wine store too and the bonus is that they sell British food. I have bought them out of Maltesars - only 190 cals a bag! lol

I will be curious to see what the prices are for a trim for your son at HS. I was also told that Bangz in Monclair was good but their website makes a point of saying they do not offer trims.

I walked past this place in Morristown the other day ....complete with British flag outside: http://www.londonworldconnection.com/ I would be curious to see if many of the stylists had any connection to London!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by looselips
I love my local wine store too and the bonus is that they sell British food. I have bought them out of Maltesars - only 190 cals a bag! lol

I will be curious to see what the prices are for a trim for your son at HS. I was also told that Bangz in Monclair was good but their website makes a point of saying they do not offer trims.

I walked past this place in Morristown the other day ....complete with British flag outside: http://www.londonworldconnection.com/ I would be curious to see if many of the stylists had any connection to London!
Morristown isn't too far away for me. Gary's Winestores located in Bernardsville and Madison/Chatham (always get them mixed up) sell well priced wine etc. I pay less than $30 for a 75cl bottle of Grand Marnier...they also sell a good selection of British chocolate, crisps and other goodies.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: HAIRDRESSERS IN NJ??

PP

Eeek! I feel bad about that, so sorry! What a wasted journey. Ironically I was visiting my Aussie friend yesterday afternoon after leaving EWR and she lives about 2 minute's walk behind 'Fringe'.....if we'd known you could have come round for a cuppa, her mum is over from Sydney as well right now.

Did you go to the Wine Library on Millburn Avenue at the corner of Morris Ave? It's a 10 min walk from my house....I like their 'Vasse Felix' wine from Margaret River, and another Aussie friend likes their 'Stump Jump' red wine.

Looselips; do you get your Maltesers from Gary's in Madison by any chance?

I've seen that hair salon in Morristown, it's on the square isn't it, on the same block as Century 21.... I did have a sticky beak when I peered in their window once and was astonished at the high prices in there!

Come to think of it, there is a children's hair salon in the Livingston Mall (Kids Kutz/Professional Hair) and the kids sit in little racing cars.....I'm sure their charges are inexpensive.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

IMO Gary's in Bernardsville carries a much better selection of British goodies than their Madison store. If there is something special you'd like have a word with Gary...if he can get it for you he will.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:11 pm
trout pout

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Eeek! I feel bad about that, so sorry! What a wasted journey. Ironically I was visiting my Aussie friend yesterday afternoon after leaving EWR and she lives about 2 minute's walk behind 'Fringe'.....if we'd known you could have come round for a cuppa, her mum is over from Sydney as well right now.

Did you go to the Wine Library on Millburn Avenue at the corner of Morris Ave? It's a 10 min walk from my house....I like their 'Vasse Felix' wine from Margaret River, and another Aussie friend likes their 'Stump Jump' red wine.

Looselips; do you get your Maltesers from Gary's in Madison by any chance?

I've seen that hair salon in Morristown, it's on the square isn't it, on the same block as Century 21.... I did have a sticky beak when I peered in their window once and was astonished at the high prices in there!

Come to think of it, there is a children's hair salon in the Livingston Mall (Kids Kutz/Professional Hair) and the kids sit in little racing cars.....I'm sure their charges are inexpensive.
Hmm, no it isn't Gary's but that is a great place to know about especially since they look like they have a great cheese selection too. Thanks!

Yes, thats right, it is right by Century 21. I did think the prices were high especially for colour. Sadly the price of their cut is what I paid at HS.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by looselips
Hmm, no it isn't Gary's but that is a great place to know about especially since they look like they have a great cheese selection too. Thanks!

Yes, thats right, it is right by Century 21. I did think the prices were high especially for colour. Sadly the price of their cut is what I paid at HS.
I remember when the people who have that salon first started out. It was about 10 yrs ago...they sent notices out to local residents trying to drum up business. Their first salon was a rather grotty little place near the station...seems they have done rather well.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:28 pm

Post Re: HAIRDRESSERS IN NJ??

Kids Kutz is here:

http://www.simon.com/mall/mall_info.aspx?ID=111

AFAIK you can just go there and your son can wait his turn, but you could always call ahead for an appointment.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:35 pm
trout pout

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I remember when the people who have that salon first started out. It was about 10 yrs ago...they sent notices out to local residents trying to drum up business. Their first salon was a rather grotty little place near the station...seems they have done rather well.
Wow they did do well. Certainly understand why they charge those prices with that location though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.