Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Had immigration interview yesterday and got denied!

Had immigration interview yesterday and got denied!

Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

ukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant future
Default Had immigration interview yesterday and got denied!

i came here in 97 as part of the au=pair in america and stayed a year. I came back in 2000 on a visa waiver and overstayed until September 2003 then went back to england for a 8 week vacation. I then came back in November 2003 through the visa waiver, overstayed then met my husband in 2004, we got married in March 2006. Just had our immigrationn interview yesterday in Chicago and got denied because i left in 2003!!!

We now have to apply for a I-601 Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissability and our lawyer said that it is very rare when a waiver is granted so we are freaking out. Any help on how to get the I-601 approved.

Last edited by Manc; Oct 13th 2006 at 12:37 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:30 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had immigration interview yesterday and got denied!

This has to be a classic reason why visitors should never overstay their visas.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by ukgirl26
i came here in 97 as part of the au=pair in america and stayed a year. I came back in 2000 on a visa waiver and overstayed until September 2003 then went back to england for a 8 week vacation. I then came back in November 2003 through the visa waiver, overstayed then met my husband in 2004, we got married in March 2006. Just had our immigrationn interview yesterday in Chicago and got denied because i left in 2003!!!

We now have to apply for a I-601 Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissability and our lawyer said that it is very rare when a waiver is granted so we are freaking out. Any help on how to get the I-601 approved.

Last edited by Manc; Oct 13th 2006 at 12:37 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

And you're surprised it was denied?????
you broke the law.

I'm surprised they didn't stick you in shackles and march you off to O'Hare for a flight back to Heathrow there and then.......

10 year ban awaits from the USA.

p.s. do not put your email address or other personal info in the content of your messages.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:00 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

You would be better posting your question in the immigration section of the site.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
You would be better posting your question in the immigration section of the site.
or moving back to the UK

Last edited by Manc; Oct 13th 2006 at 1:05 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 5:36 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

So you basically overstayed two times and are confused as to why they denied you?

As someone who spent nearly $10,000 in legal fees to move here legally, I fully support the USCIS action.

In fact, maybe the site should sticky this so that other people can see that immigration here is not a laughing matter and not to be taken lightly.

Sorry for bring an Asshole in advance
Old Oct 13th 2006, 5:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The most comprehensive 601 self-help site is: http://immigrate2us.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=26
Old Oct 13th 2006, 6:00 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Here is how I understand how it works :-

If you OVERSTAY(no matter how long) and then get married to a US citizen, you can apply for Green Card and all will be fine. The OVERSTAY will be foregiven.

If you overstay and then leave and then somehow come back undetected, YOU are actually then here ILLEGALLY and not here as an OVERSTAY. The coming back on the Visa Waiver put you in the USA immediately in the ILLEGAL camp. This happened because by definition of the OVERSTAY, you were not entitled to re-enter via the VISA WAIVER program.

You should have just stayed off the radar and not applied for GC. Now you've tried to gain status as an original OVERSTAY which is incorrect, you could very likely be deported.

My neice sadly overstayed, got married and left the USA to see her sister in the UK BEFORE all the paperwork was finalized. She was NOT allowed back into the USA and is on a 10 year ban. They gave up fighting it and her US husband now leaves in the UK (8 years to go).

Last edited by franc11s; Oct 13th 2006 at 6:02 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 6:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Overstay would be forgiven if you don't swan off before AOS'ing...and the fact that she shouldn't have been admitted the second time around is probably one of the problems, having an overstay means you ain't allowed to use the VWP as you said.

Will have a hard time proving hardship for the waiver, probably better off saving the money and move to the UK.

Originally Posted by franc11s
Here is how I understand how it works :-

If you OVERSTAY(no matter how long) and then get married to a US citizen, you can apply for Green Card and all will be fine. The OVERSTAY will be foregiven.

If you overstay and then leave and then somehow come back undetected, YOU are actually then here ILLEGALLY and not here as an OVERSTAY. The coming back on the Visa Waiver put you in the USA immediately in the ILLEGAL camp. This happened because by definition of the OVERSTAY, you were not entitled to re-enter via the VISA WAIVER program.

You should have just stayed off the radar and not applied for GC. Now you've tried to gain status as an original OVERSTAY which is incorrect, you could very likely be deported.

My neice sadly overstayed, got married and left the USA to see her sister in the UK BEFORE all the paperwork was finalized. She was NOT allowed back into the USA and is on a 10 year ban. They gave up fighting it and her US husband now leaves in the UK (8 years to go).
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:44 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

This is usually when Pulaski pops up!
Old Oct 14th 2006, 11:51 am
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all

What I am curious about was how immigration at the POE didn't pick up on her previous illegal activity when she came back in November 2003, when the automatic 10 year ban should have been in place. Obviously she is a dumb-a-s-s who is clueless to the world of US immigration and the ironic thing is.....had she never left the US in the first place before marrying her husband and filing, she wouldn't have a problem now.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

ukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant futureukgirl26 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by leedsPaddy
What I am curious about was how immigration at the POE didn't pick up on her previous illegal activity when she came back in November 2003, when the automatic 10 year ban should have been in place. Obviously she is a dumb-a-s-s who is clueless to the world of US immigration and the ironic thing is.....had she never left the US in the first place before marrying her husband and filing, she wouldn't have a problem now.

thanks for clarifying that i am a dumb-a-s-s, i love you too! If i knew that i was going to meet my husband and get married then i would never have left....i had to go home for a family emergency....plus i was younger then and i made mistakes and no, the immigration law was not on my first agenda......not everybody knows the immigration system, i just figured that if they let me back in then i was fine. I an not saying that what i did was wrong because it was and i now understand the law, it just seems strange that if i would have stayed here illegally for all this time i would have been fine (seems a bit weird.) I am sure in this lifetime we have all done things that we are not proud of and am sure that if things had gone differently in them situations different outcomes would have happened. I am just asking for advice here not public bashing!
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:17 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leedsPaddy
So, this person came here for help and got a load of bigoted conservative, self righteous BS from a bunch of bitter Buggers who have nothing better to do. I like this place but some of these replys are shocking. If you can't help then why bother to post the obvious i.e. (paraphrasing) this is a great example of why not to overstay etc etc ad nauseum.
There have been some useful replys which is good but mostly I am suprised.
I hope this person comes back but I would be suprised if she did.

Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
So, this person came here for help and got a load of bigoted conservative, self righteous BS from a bunch of bitter Buggers who have nothing better to do. I like this place but some of these replys are shocking. If you can't help then why bother to post the obvious i.e. (paraphrasing) this is a great example of why not to overstay etc etc ad nauseum.
There have been some useful replys which is good but mostly I am suprised.
I hope this person comes back but I would be suprised if she did.

Good luck.
Have to agree with this - some rather contemptuous posts on the thread.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Have to agree with this - some rather contemptuous posts on the thread.
And you opinion matters because................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.