Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HA HA! Take that WalMart!!

HA HA! Take that WalMart!!

Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HA HA! Take that WalMart!!

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
No no you are so right...Walmart only sell the finest goods.
Dont they just
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:30 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Well what have you bought there that has broke and if it did they wouldn't refund your money?

I probably wouldn't buy their furniture for my living room. I would go to a furniture store. Other than that I wouldn't think twice about buying an item there.

Bought daughter's girl scout camping supplies there. Maybe not what you would want for trip to the North Pole, but has worked fine for the couple times a year she goes camping.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there alright for alot of thing's, it's the clothes I'm on about, buy cheep you get cheep
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:53 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Of course there alright for alot of thing's, it's the clothes I'm on about, buy cheep you get cheep
What are you talking about, WalMarts clothes are sophisticated and classy, thats why 3/4 of the population of this country thats permanently dressed in WalMart clothes always looks so good.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 5:02 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic
I have bought some clothes there, i.e. gym shorts, sweat suits. I wouldn't buy dress clothes there, because I don't like dressing like I'm going to a Monster Truck race, so it's more of style than quality for me. Now wife and daughter have bought a lot a clothes and "Oh My God" shoes and I can't recall having to return something because it didn't hold up.

I just don't see Wal-Mart having some evil plan to take over the world or them building a store in a town as a bad thing. Just like what happen in Germany, if they don't give people what they want the store(s) will close, but I see the stores being full because they are giving a large group of people what they want, not because people are brain washed or loyal to Walmart. If another store comes to town with better prices I'll be heading there.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sarah
What are you talking about, WalMarts clothes are sophisticated and classy, thats why 3/4 of the population of this country thats permanently dressed in WalMart clothes always looks so good.
Oh yes "I look great in my 30 grand Truck", Yank!!!and ware WalMart clothes Sorry mdyoung I see your a big fan of Wally World
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mdyoung
I have bought some clothes there, i.e. gym shorts, sweat suits. I wouldn't buy dress clothes there, because I don't like dressing like I'm going to a Monster Truck race, so it's more of style than quality for me. Now wife and daughter have bought a lot a clothes and "Oh My God" shoes and I can't recall having to return something because it didn't hold up.

I just don't see Wal-Mart having some evil plan to take over the world or them building a store in a town as a bad thing. Just like what happen in Germany, if they don't give people what they want the store(s) will close, but I see the stores being full because they are giving a large group of people what they want, not because people are brain washed or loyal to Walmart. If another store comes to town with better prices I'll be heading there.

Maybe you should do a little research into Walmarts strategies for entering a new market (ie town).
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:52 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
I just don't see Wal-Mart having some evil plan to take over the world or them building a store in a town as a bad thing. Just like what happen in Germany, if they don't give people what they want the store(s) will close, but I see the stores being full because they are giving a large group of people what they want, not because people are brain washed or loyal to Walmart.
Because of their purchasing power and size, WalMart are effectively determining what can be sold in the US. You say you don't like their clothes. If you lived in a small town, your particular taste in clothes would become very expensive because you'd have to travel to get them, and shopping for them would be very difficult. All of the local speciality stores and mom and pop stores, who might have considered special ordering something for you, or getting samples -- well, after WalMart moves in, they're eliminated.

And because of drop in market share due to not being at major big-box retailers, hell, the company that MAKES your clothes might go out of business.

Do you see how this works?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:15 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

We had a bomb threat in a local WalMart yesterday in Evans. Someone called and threatened to blow up the pharmacy. Probably a prank or a "disgruntled drug user". I wonder if the local news can report on it without the use of the word, "terrorism."
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:50 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
We had a bomb threat in a local WalMart yesterday in Evans. Someone called and threatened to blow up the pharmacy. Probably a prank or a "disgruntled drug user". I wonder if the local news can report on it without the use of the word, "terrorism."

If a 17 year old phoned in a prank bomb threat to his school, he would be charged with terrorist activites. Similar thing happened in the town where I lived. The lad that did it will have that on his record for life now, poor sod, whats worse was he didn't even phone it in, just posted a pretend bomb threat notice on his friends website. The police were knocking down his door the next day. Worse thign was, he did it before 9/11, then 9/11 happened and they upped the charges.
Effectively, if he'd been drink driving, crashed his car and injured his passenger he would have got a lighter deal.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:22 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolos
Perhaps if they applied themselves to life and education, they wouldn't be reduced to scanning groceries for $7 an hour. Nobody in my family ever lowered themselves to such modern slavery. Thank God for initiative, education and networking.

Fortunately, I'm more than happy to profit from the poor life-choices of the proletariat.
(Are you Nicholas Van Hoogstraten by any chance??)
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:25 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. Often referred to as the Fortnum and Mason of the Americas.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CarlM
Absolutely. Often referred to as the Fortnum and Mason of the Americas.
I beleive HM the Queen was thinking of getting a Walmart hamper this christmas for change.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:49 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

I beleive HM the Queen was thinking of getting a Walmart hamper this christmas for change.
Is that the one with the Magnum of Big Red by any chance?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 6:39 pm
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Is that the one with the Magnum of Big Red by any chance?
Its a sumptuous banquet for the most discerning palette: 2 tins of corned beef, a tub of miracle whip, a tub of cool whip, cheeze whizz, hamburger helper, 2 (Yes 2!!) boxes of mac and cheese, and a 14 gallon drum of cool-aid.

Its a veritable cornucopia of flavors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.