British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   H4 Visa & SSN / Husband Health Care (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/h4-visa-ssn-husband-health-care-121849/)

marcboyer Dec 13th 2002 10:54 am

H4 Visa & SSN / Husband Health Care

Hi,

I will start working in january in a compagny that has a medical Healt Care for benefits (for me and my family), I'm holding an H1B visa and my wife has an H4 one.

My question:

As it seems difficult to get a SSN for non working allowed people (H4), will my wife still benefits of the medical health care that I get with my compagny ?

I will ask them, but cannot do it now, and I'd to have multiple advices / testimony.

Maybe SSN & Health care don't have anything in common (it does here in France), if yes then yeppieee.

One more question, we will move to WA state, did anyone from there got a SSN with an H4 visa lately, as this seems to be state dependent.

Thanks

Marc

Ivonne Dec 13th 2002 9:49 pm

Marc,

SSN has nothing to do with the health insurance you get from the company. Your wife will be eligible for the same benefits, with or without SSN. The name social security is a little bit confusing.

Michael E. Piston Dec 14th 2002 1:56 am

Re: H4 Visa & SSN / Husband Health Care

The issuance of an SSN is fundamentally a matter of federal policy. Currently it is the (federal) Social Security Administration's (SSA) position that a nonimmigrant without work authorization may obtain an SSN only to obtain federal benefits which require an SSN. This represents a reversal of their prior policy that a nonimmigrant could get an SSN upon submitting evidence it was necessary to obtain some state benefit. HOWEVER, a federal court just ruled that this change of policy was invalid because the SSA did not follow proper procedure. Unfortunately, it is not clear when (or if) the old rule will actually be reinstated, since the government may appeal and/or seek reconsideration of that decision, and obtain a stay of judgment in the meantime.

Originally posted by marcboyer
Hi,

I will start working in january in a compagny that has a medical Healt Care for benefits (for me and my family), I'm holding an H1B visa and my wife has an H4 one.

My question:

As it seems difficult to get a SSN for non working allowed people (H4), will my wife still benefits of the medical health care that I get with my compagny ?

I will ask them, but cannot do it now, and I'd to have multiple advices / testimony.

Maybe SSN & Health care don't have anything in common (it does here in France), if yes then yeppieee.

One more question, we will move to WA state, did anyone from there got a SSN with an H4 visa lately, as this seems to be state dependent.

Thanks

Marc