British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   On a H4, how hard is it to get H1b through employment in the current market? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/h4-how-hard-get-h1b-through-employment-current-market-719800/)

Annu Jun 6th 2011 1:33 pm

On a H4, how hard is it to get H1b through employment in the current market?

Hi
I'll very soon be in Washington on the H4 visa. My OH some how managed to convince me that finding a job in DC, MD and VA states won't be difficult for me and i'll easily be able to get my own H1b.

2mnths later my opinion on the situation has completely changed as I've applied for a number of jobs in all three states and to various jobs at different levels but have had a 0 response rate:(
And, the most annoying thing is that there are so many good jobs out there but I feel that employers are currently just not willing to sponsor anyone!

I can't express how annoyed I am, I'm fairly young (well 27 is kind of young), only had a yrs gap after I left uni in 04 and was working for the National IT Program for NHS Wales for the last 4yrs and gosh did I wrk hard to complete a part-time MBA degree over the last 2 years alongside a full time job!!!

So, pls can anyone tell me wht are my chances of getting an employer to sponsor me on a h1b considering:
- the job market for project managers/associate PMs in DC, MD, VA
- my wrk experience of national IT programs in the UK plus my masters degree

Any info will be much valued:thumbsup:
Thanks,

Jerseygirl Jun 6th 2011 1:40 pm

Re: On a H4, how hard is it to get H1b through employment in the current market?

Although it is very important to you...try to see it from an employers point of view. In this current job market why would an employer go to the trouble, time and cost of sponsoring you for a visa when there are thousands of Americans lining up for the job?

Annu Jun 6th 2011 2:17 pm

Re: On a H4, how hard is it to get H1b through employment in the current market?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9413459)
Although it is very important to you...try to see it from an employers point of view. In this current job market why would an employer go to the trouble, time and cost of sponsoring you for a visa when there are thousands of Americans lining up for the job?

I very quickly came to the realization that employers are currently not willing to sponsor for a visa and I do understand and appreciate the reasons for that.

I also appreciate the career potential my hubby has as a Doctor in the States which is why we are moving but at the same time I'm slowly coming to the realization that I'm not willing to sacrifice my career in the process. So, I will try my v. best to get a job but if nothing materializes in say a year and a half I think i'll be heading bck home :(

Sue Jun 6th 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Annu (Post 9413537)
I very quickly came to the realization that employers are currently not willing to sponsor for a visa and I do understand and appreciate the reasons for that.

I also appreciate the career potential my hubby has as a Doctor in the States which is why we are moving but at the same time I'm slowly coming to the realization that I'm not willing to sacrifice my career in the process. So, I will try my v. best to get a job but if nothing materializes in say a year and a half I think i'll be heading bck home :(

I'm sure there are positions available out there that may sponsor someone on a H1-B, but as you've already figured out (and JG mentioned) they are few and far between. A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time. Try cold calling, eg search LinkedIn contact people that way. Also try volunteering, and join local newcomer clubs and network, network, network. Many job offers have been made because of who you know ... etc. Think of job hunting as a full-time endeavour and work on it a few hours a day.

Failing that you may have to do long distance relationship as you've already commented on. It's hard, but I know people who have done it.

celticgrid Jun 6th 2011 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Annu (Post 9413450)
So, pls can anyone tell me wht are my chances of getting an employer to sponsor me on a h1b considering:
- the job market for project managers/associate PMs in DC, MD, VA
- my wrk experience of national IT programs in the UK plus my masters degree

Your chances are not solely based on you and your experience, but how closely you match up to what the job posting asks for. (I carefully say what the posting is asking for rather than what the job needs....) On that basis maybe review where there are gaps and work on closing them.

As an example, when I arrived here in 2008 and was looking for project manager work I noticed that most adverts were asking for PMP certification. Now, opinions aside about that particular piece of paper, it does seem to be a common 'ask' for project managers. Have you noticed this in the jobs you apply for? Or some other common 'asking point' that you are missing? Do everything you can to increase your value, because this is currently a tough marketplace.

Good luck.

Bob Jun 6th 2011 10:30 pm

Yeah, it's pretty tough...how transferable are your skills? What niche skills do you offer?

Work on the niche skills and areas because you'll have a hard time competing against all the USC's and LPR's who don't need sponsorship...and keep plugging away at it and attend as many networking/association type events you can.

Ozzidoc Jun 7th 2011 4:03 am

What kind of work do you do?

Try commuting between the UK (or wherever) and the East coast.