British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   H4 Extension (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/h4-extension-259035/)

dignity Oct 8th 2004 5:25 pm

H4 Extension

Just been visiting friends in Toronto and was advise at pre clearance that I need to take my H4 extension to a US Embassy to get the actual visa attached to the passport.

The Immigration official said that I can travel in North America, including Mexico and Canada without any probs but should I go further afield I would have to sort out the visa.

From experience, how long will this process take and is this info correct that I can travel to Canada and Mexico?

Replies much appreciated.

Thanks

Diggers

Wintersong Oct 8th 2004 9:36 pm

Re: H4 Extension

Originally Posted by dignity
Just been visiting friends in Toronto and was advise at pre clearance that I need to take my H4 extension to a US Embassy to get the actual visa attached to the passport.

The Immigration official said that I can travel in North America, including Mexico and Canada without any probs but should I go further afield I would have to sort out the visa.

From experience, how long will this process take and is this info correct that I can travel to Canada and Mexico?

Thanks

Diggers

As far as I'm aware, all it takes is a brief trip to the embassy and they put it in your passport there and then (assuming that the visa has already been granted, all you are getting is the stamp in your passport). I could be wrong here, but I believe that you need the visa stamp in order to return to the US. Without it, they won't let you re-enter. Someone might contradict me over this, but as far as I'm aware it makes no difference which country you go to - you have left the US. Maybe what the official was saying was that it is easier to get the stamp in Canada or Mexico because they are more used to handling these requests and therefore it should be quicker?

dignity Oct 9th 2004 3:33 pm

I actually just want to know: Can I travel to Canada and back as the Immigration Official stated?

Cheers

Diggers

Originally Posted by Wintersong
As far as I'm aware, all it takes is a brief trip to the embassy and they put it in your passport there and then (assuming that the visa has already been granted, all you are getting is the stamp in your passport). I could be wrong here, but I believe that you need the visa stamp in order to return to the US. Without it, they won't let you re-enter. Someone might contradict me over this, but as far as I'm aware it makes no difference which country you go to - you have left the US. Maybe what the official was saying was that it is easier to get the stamp in Canada or Mexico because they are more used to handling these requests and therefore it should be quicker?

Wintersong Oct 9th 2004 3:45 pm

I actually just want to know: Can I travel to Canada and back as the Immigration Official stated?

Cheers

Diggers

As far as I am aware, no. I believe that you need the stamp in your passport before you can return.
I checked this with my fiance, who is on H1b (I'll be over there on H4 as well before too long) and he says you can't return without it. Like I said, maybe the immigration guy was saying that you could go to Canada to have it stamped?

alflaw Oct 9th 2004 5:43 pm

Thanks

Diggers

H1B and H4 are allowed to travel to Canada and Mexico for periods up to 30 days without a current visa. Travel for a longer period of time, or to another country will require a visa before your return to the U.S. Visas can be obtained at US Consular posts in Canada - Toronto sounds like it will work for you see the following web site:

http://www.usconsulatetoronto.ca/con...ument=applying

Good Luck