Reload this Page >

H1b and UK tax

H1b and UK tax

Old Jan 31st 2015, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

livinginUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1b and UK tax

Hey all - would appreciate some advice!

I was talking to a friend who has been in the U.S. on a H1b for a couple of years now and he was telling me he was filing his self assessment UK tax form for the past tax year! He has no UK source income but claims he must file one. Is this true?

Me on the other hand have been a green card holder (through marriage) in the US for 5 years. I filed a P85 when I left (I called HMRC to make sure - I wasn't working before leaving no tax back when j left), I have never filed self assessment before (was always PAYE), and was under the assumption I wouldn't need to at all once I left the UK. Am I doing things correctly? I believed that non UK residents didn't need to file or pay UK tax - especially as I have zero UK sourced income. I don't need to file self assessment to the UK at all, right?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1b and UK tax

I seem to remember I had a self assessment form sent over when I first moved to the US.
I just sent them a letter telling them I don't reside in the UK anymore and that was the last of it.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I seem to remember I had a self assessment form sent over when I first moved to the US.
I just sent them a letter telling them I don't reside in the UK anymore and that was the last of it.
Interesting - I wonder if that's because you were filing self assessment before you left.

So I assume you file nothing in the UK now at all?
Old Jan 31st 2015, 4:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginUSA
I was talking to a friend who has been in the U.S. on a H1b for a couple of years now and he was telling me he was filing his self assessment UK tax form for the past tax year! He has no UK source income but claims he must file one. Is this true?
Not true, as far as I know - unless for some reason he has failed to abandon his U.K. tax residence under the statutory residence test. If he is living in the U.S., it's probably quite expensive to pay additional British tax on top, so he should make sure he is only paying what he has to pay. Perhaps he needs some U.K. professional tax advice - The Chartered Institute of Taxation | Home
Old Jan 31st 2015, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not true, as far as I know - unless for some reason he has failed to abandon his U.K. tax residence under the statutory residence test. If he is living in the U.S., it's probably quite expensive to pay additional British tax on top, so he should make sure he is only paying what he has to pay. Perhaps he needs some U.K. professional tax advice - The Chartered Institute of Taxation | Home
His message to me was:

"Yeah, we do still need to do UK tax returns - self assessment. We have to declare everything we earn here, and all taxes, etc. You won't get charged more, but they need to know"

This didn't seem right to me - I moved along time ago and I know the SRT has slightly different rules, but I would assume he wouldnt be tax resident anymore at all! Especially with no income earned in the UK or UK sourced income.

As far as I know, if you are a non resident (I am because I have a green card and live permanently in the US, spend about 6-8 days a year in the UK over Christmas, and have no UK income) you literally file nothing to the UK. It's not like the US where a citizen will always be required to file a tax return. At least that's what I have been going on for years! Please let me know if that's correct
Old Jan 31st 2015, 1:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

"Yeah, we do still need to do UK tax returns - self assessment. We have to declare everything we earn here, and all taxes, etc. You won't get charged more, but they need to know"
This is wrong if he is a US tax resident. Your friend is making unnecessary work and should file a P85. That's what I did when I came to the US on an H1b. I haven't file a single UK tax form in the last 28 years.

Last edited by nun; Jan 31st 2015 at 1:42 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - I wonder if that's because you were filing self assessment before you left.

So I assume you file nothing in the UK now at all?
I wasn't before, but yes, it is correct that I don't file in the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for the responses - this topic had me really confused all yesterday, and slightly worried! Like I mentioned earlier, I got it in my head that maybe the UK taxes citizens regardless of their residence, like the US! That would have meant a lot of backfilling if true! Thankfully from what you guys say, no UK filing is required at all once you become a non resident and have no UK sourced income.

I will have a word with my friend and let him know that he may not need to be filing. I don't know, maybe there is a reason (maybe some UK ties) that requires him to do this, but to his knowledge he believed we all should be still reporting back to the UK.

Also, let me know if anything I have said here is false!
Old Jan 31st 2015, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No need to worry...all the info is out there in Google Land.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk
Old Jan 31st 2015, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

No need to worry...all the info is out there in Google Land.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk
"If you’re non-resident, you don’t pay UK tax on income or gains you get outside the UK. You may be non-resident the day after you leave the UK - this depends on your situation and how ‘split year treatment’ applies to you."
You are correct! Thanks for the link - I really should have looked it up too, and I did when I moved - but I love chatting to actual people about it too, incase I am missing something

I haven't checked the SRT much and while a lot seems to have changed, I assume with living here permanently in the US with a green card, working full time, only visiting briefly over christmas, my only UK ties being a bank account with less than £20 and my parents + brother (I stay in a hotel when I visit), I would still be considered a non resident!
"You’re automatically non-resident if:

you spent less than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you haven’t been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)"
Phew! When I moved it used to be "leaving to live abroad permanently" and filing a P85 proving that would be enough.

Thanks again all for helping me and making me not stress out about this. Knowing I don't need to file anything makes me feel much better! I will continue to be a non resident therefore not have to file anything - plus I will inform my friend!
Old Jan 31st 2015, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Understood

What's your friend do anyway, on an H1B? Just curious.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Understood

What's your friend do anyway, on an H1B? Just curious.
Sure thing - he is a software developer

I briefly chatted again to him today and he stated that:

"Because I'm on a H1b, I'm supposed to keep the UK as my residence"

So, maybe that's a reason to do it? I sent him a link to the SRT info that states that a non resident wouldn't need to owe taxes on income abroad. Maybe he interprets that as still needing to let the UK know his situation, even if it means not paying?

Either way, it sounds like the majority of us who are NOT UK resident for tax, file absolutely nothing. I think some one would have heard or said something if we were supposed to be filing self assessment.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Either way, it sounds like the majority of us who are NOT UK resident for tax, file absolutely nothing.
That's it, in a nutshell
Old Feb 1st 2015, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Sure thing - he is a software developer

I briefly chatted again to him today and he stated that:

"Because I'm on a H1b, I'm supposed to keep the UK as my residence"
Except that H1-B holders do not have to keep a foreign residence, as far as U.S. immigration law is concerned. And even if in a visa category with this requirement, the U.S. does not expect that this be demonstrated by filing foreign tax returns as a resident.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that H1-B holders do not have to keep a foreign residence, as far as U.S. immigration law is concerned. And even if in a visa category with this requirement, the U.S. does not expect that this be demonstrated by filing foreign tax returns as a resident.
That the thing - there is a difference between tax resident, and immigration law resident - well said.

At this point, unless he has some UK tie he hasn't mentioned, it sounds like he, like everyone here, wouldn't need to file a self assessment as it wouldn't be required, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.