Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1B tax status?

H1B tax status?

Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

marieedmonds is an unknown quantity at this point
Question H1B tax status?

Hello - I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm due to start work in the US in January 2004, on a two-year contract with the USGS in Hawaii. I've been approved for an H1B visa. I will be spending all of both years working in Hawaii, with only two small periods of a 1-2 weeks on vacation in the UK. Does anyone know how I stand regarding paying federal and state tax and how I can go about making preparations with the correct forms and procedures? I'm at a loss right now...
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:17 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Re: H1B tax status?

Originally posted by marieedmonds
Hello - I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm due to start work in the US in January 2004, on a two-year contract with the USGS in Hawaii. I've been approved for an H1B visa. I will be spending all of both years working in Hawaii, with only two small periods of a 1-2 weeks on vacation in the UK. Does anyone know how I stand regarding paying federal and state tax and how I can go about making preparations with the correct forms and procedures? I'm at a loss right now...
You're employer will deduct the taxes from your pay check presumably! That's how it ias usually done!

Good luck!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Brigie is right, you employer will give you a form to complete about your circumstances and using that info they will deduct the correct taxes.

You will need to file both State and Federal returns. Tax year here finishes on 31 December and returns under normal circumstances should be filed by April 15. My suggestion is you use a tax agent as tax in the US is a lot more complicated than in the UK.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:49 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

As you are not staring to work here until Jan 2004, you won't have to file a tax return until April 2005.