British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   H1B stories (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/h1b-stories-197817/)

BlueScottyGirl Dec 19th 2003 10:01 pm

H1B stories

On my earlier thread someone mentioned that there are a few here who went to the US on H1B visas. Would you care to share your story? particularly if you went from the UK.

I've been jobhunting for months trying to get to Texas, ANYTHING that will cheer me up, motivate me or just give me a little bit of hope that it WILL happen would be greatly appreciated. If you can manage to do all three I'll........erm........well I'll be very happy :D

Scotty

JulianB Dec 19th 2003 11:22 pm

I'm from the UK, and have been working for my employer, in the medical electronics industry, for 15 months now on H1-B. It is very difficult at the moment to find a sponsor, and very, very difficult if you are not physically present in the US. Difficult, but not impossible. What kind of work are you looking for?

TexasPenguin Dec 19th 2003 11:27 pm

Re: H1B stories

Originally posted by BlueScottyGirl
On my earlier thread someone mentioned that there are a few here who went to the US on H1B visas. Would you care to share your story? particularly if you went from the UK.

Scotty
Hi Scotty and welcome!
I'm an H1B working in electronics in Texas (about 100 miles from Dallas - Tyler).
I guess my story is probably not typical but I'll give it anyway.

I worked for the UK branch of an Italian company in Dorset. I came over to the US in 2000 (only on a Visa Waiver in those days) to help set up the US subsidiary of SPEA (www.spea.com).
AT that time I actually still worked for the UK subsidiary (of course, I couldn't work on a VW!!! ;) )
Well, I loved the place so much that I decided I wanted to stay and bring my family.
If you want the full story (it's long so I won't clutter up this board!) then you can go to my web-site at www.andy.smithers.name
Good luck and PM me if you want to chat more....

Andy.

snorkmaiden Dec 19th 2003 11:28 pm

Hey Scotty,

We moved to Dallas on an H1b earlier this year. My hubby already wrote articles for a computer magazine over here so his future employer already knew of him when he applied for the job which helped.

They got their solicitor on the case and it was all done and dusted relatively quickly.

In fact it all went a lot more smoothly than we had imagined. We got a lot of great advice from people on here and we are I guess in our third stage of acclimatisation.

The first being getting off the plane and seeing the sun here in Texas and thinking, wow, why would I ever want to go home, the second being, oh god I so much miss my family and I don't really know anyone and I want to go home, the third is kind of, wow, we are living in a big house, the car is better than one we could have had at home, the petrol is cheaper and the weather is great, why would I want to go home...

I imagine there are still a good few stages to go through yet :D

Good Luck with the job hunt!!

BlueScottyGirl Dec 20th 2003 11:11 am

Oh!!! Thankyou:D I needed to hear all that!

Julian, my hubby is a Business/Systems Analyst, not the best job to be trying to find right now :( sometimes I wish he was a nurse *L* but we figure it's just a matter of time and a certain amount of good luck.....if you want something badly enough it will happen. We had considered sending him over to look for a job but decided against it because that goes against immigration policy and we don't want to take any risks.

Snorkmaiden, I loved your "stages", I believe we'll go through much the same, I'm sure I'll miss Scotland but then Billy Connelly said once that people only leave Scotland so they can miss it ;) .....and sing about it!

Andy, my hubby and I dreamed and drooled over your website!!!! What an inspiration to people like us.....you guys are living the "American Dream". I love your house.....your pool....most of all I love your attitude, it takes a certain personality to "make it" in a new country I think.....you guys seem to be having a ball!

Thanks everyone, your posts and stories were inspiring and gave me something to think about.....I was beginning to think no one from the UK went out there anymore *L*

Scotty

JulianB Dec 20th 2003 4:10 pm

Originally posted by BlueScottyGirl
Oh!!! Thankyou:D I needed to hear all that!

Julian, my hubby is a Business/Systems Analyst, not the best job to be trying to find right now :( sometimes I wish he was a nurse *L* but we figure it's just a matter of time and a certain amount of good luck.....if you want something badly enough it will happen. We had considered sending him over to look for a job but decided against it because that goes against immigration policy and we don't want to take any risks.
May I ask why Texas? Have you considered anywhere else at all?
It's reather good in California :D
It would hardly be hubbys fault if he found an ideal job while out sightseeing and other such touristy pleasures, now would it? ;)

BlueScottyGirl Dec 20th 2003 5:14 pm

Originally posted by JulianB
May I ask why Texas? Have you considered anywhere else at all?
It's reather good in California :D
It would hardly be hubbys fault if he found an ideal job while out sightseeing and other such touristy pleasures, now would it? ;)

*chuckling* we had/are considering just about anywhere else but we feel drawn to Texas which kind of pushes the focus to there. He was interviewed for a company in CA a few years back come to think of it......they were interested but he didn't have enough experience to apply for a visa.

Well, if nothings happened by March I think we will be going over, just for a holiday you know........see how things are ;)