H1B Renewal

Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:54 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default H1B Renewal

Having lurked on the board for a while, I finally have a question!

I have been in the US on an H1B visa for about 8 months. The visa is valid for 3 years.

After 6 months, the company that sponsored my visa agreed to also sponsor my Permanent Resident application.

From what I hear, a green card application of this type is currently taking 3-4 years.

So, my question is this: Does anyone here have experience of going through an H1B renewal application? Clearly it is near impossible that my green card will come through before my H1B exipires, and I'm interested to hear anyone's experience regarding how early one needs to start the process of applying for an extension to an H1B.

Cheers,

Daniel
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B Renewal

Originally posted by dbj1000
Having lurked on the board for a while, I finally have a question!

I have been in the US on an H1B visa for about 8 months. The visa is valid for 3 years.

After 6 months, the company that sponsored my visa agreed to also sponsor my Permanent Resident application.

From what I hear, a green card application of this type is currently taking 3-4 years.

So, my question is this: Does anyone here have experience of going through an H1B renewal application? Clearly it is near impossible that my green card will come through before my H1B exipires, and I'm interested to hear anyone's experience regarding how early one needs to start the process of applying for an extension to an H1B.

Cheers,

Daniel
Submit everything 6 months before your current one expires (of course, by the time your current one expires, the answer could be different). As long as you submit your renewal application, if your current one expires while you are awaiting the decision on your renewal application, you have agrace period (about 8 months, I believe), during which you are allowed to work.

You should go to the Nonimmigrant Visas section of the Immigration Portal Forum for exactly the kind of help you're asking for: http://www.immigrationportal.com/for...hp?forumid=115