Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1B with a partner - How did you manage?

H1B with a partner - How did you manage?

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default H1B with a partner - How did you manage?

Have been hoping to find a job in IT Support in the USA and get a H1B visa, but if I was succsesful with this I understand my wife would only get a spouse visa and not be eligable for work.

If you've migrated in a similar way how did you manage with suddenly only having 1 person working in the family and did you manage to get enough money coming in? Also, how did you other half get work in the end?

Many Thanks!

Andy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B with a partner - How did you manage?

Originally Posted by AndyR
Have been hoping to find a job in IT Support in the USA and get a H1B visa, but if I was succsesful with this I understand my wife would only get a spouse visa and not be eligable for work.

If you've migrated in a similar way how did you manage with suddenly only having 1 person working in the family and did you manage to get enough money coming in? Also, how did you other half get work in the end?

Many Thanks!

Andy
Nooooooo the H4 your wife would be on is the devils visa!!!

OH and I have been here five years and have only just received the labour dept petition approval. This basically says that his company can now employ him on a long term basis not just for the 6 years of the HIB. I can now apply for my EAD which will take another 3 months at least to come through, this will give me authorisation to work.

You need to make sure that your salary will compenste for only having one income. If your wife is working now and giving up a career you need to consider carefully whether she can take an extended break from work. What will she do, will she be bored? Isolated etc etc etc?

Your best bet would be to find an employer who has offices here and in the UK. Work for them in the UK and then apply for a transfer to the US on an L1 Your spouse can work on an L1.

Good luck!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Many Thanks!

Andy
Tough as hell mate, just ask any H4 or previous L2 on the board. It is terribly difficult being an H4 wife and not being able to work for a few years, especially if they're used to it; not only difficult in the financial sense, but in the emotional sense too. It really takes determination to stick it out.

Some spouses are able to get dual H1B's. If she has the sort of career where she can, I suggest go for it, if possible.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:27 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks!

Andy
Its a personal situation for anybody. Best person who can answer that is your wife. Would she be OK not working? some quite like the break for a while, some hate not working. Would you have enough money to compensate?

We came over on a H1B (OH) company after 2 months here said they sponsor both of us for a green card and I got my work authorisation a year after I moved here. Now that, reading posts here is rare! So it depends when and if your company would sponsor you for a green card. If she can't get her own visa.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Its a personal situation for anybody. Best person who can answer that is your wife. Would she be OK not working? some quite like the break for a while, some hate not working. Would you have enough money to compensate?

We came over on a H1B (OH) company after 2 months here said they sponsor both of us for a green card and I got my work authorisation a year after I moved here. Now that, reading posts here is rare! So it depends when and if your company would sponsor you for a green card. If she can't get her own visa.
You lucky thing you!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:41 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
You lucky thing you!
Yes
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks!

Andy
I'm on an H4, I only worked part time in the UK anyway as I am a stay at home Mum but, being stuck at home completely has an awful lot of downsides.

I have been doing volunteer stuff the last couple of years which is good, but it doesn't help if you want to save up for a trip home or a new car etc.

There are lots of volunteer things you can do to entertain yourself, my eldest child who also cannot work is actually training tigers at the moment, but, if your wife is someone who likes to bring in an income, and she can't get an H1b in her own right, it might well be pretty tough for her.

I'm moving to Canada next week, I can work right away there!!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

The first 3 years we were in the US I was on the dreaded H4. I made use of my time by studying and finishing my degree which paid off as eventually I changed to a visit which allowed me to work. That said, it can be terribly depressing if you are used to working and suddenly someone takes that right away from you. Working does provide a way to meet new people and fill the hours of the day. I tried the volunteering avenue and hated it, as the work felt so meaningless and unchallenging.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:06 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks!

Andy
Unless your wife is a homebody and/or would be happy to fill YEARS with just a bit of volunteering, don't do it.

Seriously.

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:50 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Unless your wife is a homebody and/or would be happy to fill YEARS with just a bit of volunteering, don't do it.

Seriously.

The first year was OK. I was glad I had the time to help my children settle at school and find stuff out about the area, unpack the boxes, sort out contracters etc.
I enjoyed jumping in my car and just driving, finding things out.
Now, I'm twiddling my thumbs.
My background is art and I always worked to commission. I can still do stuff for me but I need the push of deadlines and the input from clients. Not being able to be in that creative atmosphere has been difficult.
I have offered to teach some classes for free but I'm not local and it's hard to break down barriers.

OH's salary looks good on paper but when we consider my loss of earnings, it isn't that good.
It depends how much your wife wants to work and how much an enforced break will damage her career.
Put all of that on one side of the scales and balance it with a big adventure coming over here.