Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1b Lawyer recomendation needed URGENTLY

H1b Lawyer recomendation needed URGENTLY

Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Scotsjourno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1b Lawyer recomendation needed URGENTLY

Help, i've got a job offer now I need a decently priced but excellent H1b lawyer.

Any suggestions?

I also need to get my diploma and work experience certified as equivelant to bachelors degree - again any suggestions would be soooooo welcome.

Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2003, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

jameschapm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H1b Lawyer recomendation needed URGENTLY

Originally posted by Scotsjourno
Help, i've got a job offer now I need a decently priced but excellent H1b lawyer.

Any suggestions?

I also need to get my diploma and work experience certified as equivelant to bachelors degree - again any suggestions would be soooooo welcome.

Thanks
Hey mate,

I've been here 5 years and have a guy who I think is very good (my h1's have been super-smooth and he does all the visas for our company):

Albert Ades
19 West 44th Street
Suite 615
New York NY 10036
(212) 921-8677

I've seen his pricing also which is v reasonable. The certification stuff is standard for all immigration lawyers, they can do it easily for you.
Tell him I recommended you, he's a nice guy.
Good luck
James Chapman
Old Jun 15th 2003, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Scotsjourno is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Thanks

Hey James, thanks for the heads up. Are you still on a H1 or have you gone for your green card? If so, how difficult is it?
Old Jun 17th 2003, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

jameschapm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Scotsjourno
Hey James, thanks for the heads up. Are you still on a H1 or have you gone for your green card? If so, how difficult is it?
Hey mate, no problem.
My personal situation has just got a bit complicated, so let's not bother with that(!), but I can tell you this much:
It's pretty straightforward to keep the h1's going, you can do around 7 years on them, either with the same employer or getting a fresh H1 if you switch to a different employer. The important point is the green card. Start your green card application IMMEDIATELY. It's an unrelated application to your H1. It is in fact a future job offer which can even be with a different employer (I only just found that out). Processing time depends on your state eg New York (many apps) 2-3 years, Maine (few apps) maybe 1 year even. Your application should be pretty strong if your H1 app was strong also - your lawyer can help with this, the crux is that you have to demonstarte that this job can not be done by a local. The job has to be advertised, locals interviewed (and rejected through incomplete qualifications!) etc.
My personal advice if you really want the green card is this: start the app immediately with your current employer and stay with them until the green card comes, even if you're sick of the job etc. Then you're free......!
Good luck.
J