Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1b husband might lose job and im 35 weeks pregnant

H1b husband might lose job and im 35 weeks pregnant

Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:37 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1b husband might lose job and im 35 weeks pregnant

Originally Posted by laxrao69
PLEASE EMAIL ME YOUR NUMBER TO MY INBOX HERE. I WILL SURELY HELP YOU. TRUST ME.
As the saying goes, "Never trust a person who says "Trust me"".
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Do NOT respond to anyone who wants to communicate with you on a behind the scenes one on one basis. You do not know this person nor do you have any way to ascertain that the information they are giving you is correct.

ALWAYS place your questions in a public forum so if something is wrong, it can be corrected.

Rete
Former SuperMod

Last edited by Rete; Jul 31st 2012 at 2:43 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You can barely sort out your own immigration issues... what qualifies you to help someone else?

Ian
Old Jul 31st 2012, 2:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

laety, am sorry to hear of this turn of events.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
As the saying goes, "Never trust a person who says "Trust me"".
Originally Posted by Rete
Do NOT respond to anyone who wants to communicate with you on a behind the scenes one on one basis. You do not know this person nor do you have any way to ascertain that the information they are giving you is correct.

ALWAYS place your questions in a public forum so if something is wrong, it can be corrected.

Rete
Former SuperMod
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can barely sort out your own immigration issues... what qualifies you to help someone else?

Ian
Quite right. Please keep immigration discussions on the forums...for all to see and respond to.

Laety...I am sorry to hear this. Undue stress is the last thing you need in the latter stages of pregnancy.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Quite right. Please keep immigration discussions on the forums...for all to see and respond to.

Laety...I am sorry to hear this. Undue stress is the last thing you need in the latter stages of pregnancy.

yes I'd rather keep it public for anyone to share and benefits too

Its strange how things can change from a short period of time, few months back we nearly moved to the bay area for a job (which never happened) and now this..

thanks all, Im really hoping he will be ok..
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked into seeing if Medi-Cal and their restricted benefits would cover your OB care? http://www.benefitscal.com/

The newborn can get care under Medi-Cal.

If it was me, I would look up a crisis pregnancy center and ask them if you are a not a permanent resident but need OB care right now because you do not have insurance, what options do you have? They are used to referring to Medi-Cal. If you don't have luck there, just show up at a local health department. Google your counties name plus health department to find it.

Could you get an expedited US passport for the baby? It's extra money and you have to certain locations to do it, but it is less than 7 weeks.

Congratulations!
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

What about getting an expedited American passport for the baby? You have to pay more and go to a specific location but it's less time than 7 weeks.

Have you looked into Medi-Cal?
The newborn's care would be covered.
I would ask about the restricted pregnancy benefit (coverage) for you.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
What about getting an expedited American passport for the baby? You have to pay more and go to a specific location but it's less time than 7 weeks.
I guess you forgot that you had posted this info 7 hours prior!

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I guess you forgot that you had posted this info 7 hours prior!

Ian
My guess is that since his first post contained a link, it was in the mod queue and didn't show up....so he posted again without the link. Now that the post with the link has been approved, they both show up.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My guess is that since his first post contained a link, it was in the mod queue and didn't show up....so he posted again without the link. Now that the post with the link has been approved, they both show up.

Rene
I didn't know why re the link, I thought maybe I had posted too much after just registering and the system thought it was spam. I woke up and posted again.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:32 am
Just Joined

ravman007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laety
Hi
We have just been told that my husband company is going to lay off 500 people... He is an h1b and im 35 weeks pregnant
We dont know if he will be affected yet but just in case i wanted to be prepared...
If its the case what are our options especially from a healthcare insurance point of view.. I hear it can take about 60 days to have cobra taking over but if he looses his job, we have to get back to the uk very soon if he cant find a job soon after.. And i cannot fly anymore so it would be too late for me to get back tothe uk to give birth
What could we "negociate" with the company to try to keep things as simple as possible? Thank you..
Ps.. We are in california, in case it makes any differences..
If you hubbie does lose his job and is out of status, you can both transfer to visitor visas (B2). So you can stay in the US for another 6 months, like anyone coming to the US for holiday.

How your medical will work, I have no idea what you will qualify for, once you are no longer holding any status in the US. This is the same dilemma that many illegals are in and they end up having to go to those county hospitals. That is going to be a tricky one.

I would highly recommend talking to an immigration lawyer, to find out what your options are. When I was laid off, that is the first thing I did. He transferred me onto visitor visa, I found another job, and transferred back to a work visa.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:36 am
Just Joined

ravman007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zen10
When I read stories like this and see the amazing advice that gets offered by posters involving all these complex forms and deadlines I ask the same thing every time - wouldn't it be easier if the US just had a proper immigration system and a proper healthcare system? The current systems seem to have evolved with no guidance or forethought.

"Just fill out an I-6734 before you file the M-3746 but make sure you do so from outside the US and on a Sunday or your K22 will be null and void and then your healthcare will be suspended unless you've already filed a 667JJK in the state you were living in at the time and a T544BN in the state of entry when you return to files your A88M with the customs people." Headache!
LOL, but you forgot about form K5674J which needs to completed while standing on your head and singing a lady gaga song.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ravman007
How your medical will work, I have no idea what you will qualify for, once you are no longer holding any status in the US. This is the same dilemma that many illegals are in and they end up having to go to those county hospitals. That is going to be a tricky one.
No, it isn't tricky at all.

The OP currently has health insurance through a health plan provided by her husband's employer.

If her husband loses his job he has the right to continue that coverage for up to 18 months under the provisions of COBRA by paying the premiums himself. While the premiums are not cheap they are a real bargain by comparison with the possible medical bills for a birth and post natal care.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

OP, Can you have your husband call or go by the human resources? They would give you the best information about when you would have to transition to paying the full cost if he was layed off. There should be a benefits coordinator but anyone in HR could direct you to the right person. You will have one less worry after speaking to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.