Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1B Holder needs to stay in the US

H1B Holder needs to stay in the US

Old Jan 15th 2002, 2:15 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 37
JasonPrince is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Hi, I hold an H1B visa. This is my second one, and I am about 4 months into it. My first H1B I held for about 1.5 years and then transferred to a new employer.

My current employer looks like they are going to the wall.

I need to stay in the states. I have a fiance here who is about 6 months or so away from getting her US Citizenship (just waiting for the interview) What are my options?

Should I leave the US as soon as I am terminated or I can I apply for a change to tourist visa while still in the country? This would give me another 3 months I presume.

Could I transfer to a college program? (If I could afford it!)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Jason
JasonPrince is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2002, 6:59 am
  #2  
J. J. Farrell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Is there some reason why you can't just get another H1-B job? It might be a bit
tricky to find one at the moment, but it's certainly not impossible. A job has the
distinct advantage of bringing in money.
 
Old Jan 16th 2002, 12:34 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 37
JasonPrince is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by J. J. Farrell
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Is there some reason why you can't just get another H1-B job? It might be a bit
tricky to find one at the moment, but it's certainly not impossible. A job has the
distinct advantage of bringing in money.
Wish it was that easy. I work in the tech industry and there are a lot of people with skills like mine out of work, looking for positions right now. They can't find positions and I think it unlikley for me to find job in the US while on a visa.

JasonPrince is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2002, 5:31 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 13
mindyh2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I do understand your situation. I am H1B holder, too. I also work on technology field. I am still with my current employer. But the fear of being laying off is always exists there.


Gather as much information as you can. Even though it's hard to get a new job now, but if you can start looking as early as possible, there will be more chance till due date.

Best Luck.
mindyh2000 is offline  
Old Jan 16th 2002, 10:25 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 37
JasonPrince is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Thanks. Hope you hold onto your job and that the market changes for all of us.

Cheers, Jaaon
JasonPrince is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2002, 3:27 pm
  #6  
Jeremy Russell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Similar to Jason's position, except that I am already intending to go back to the UK
permanently, in June 2002.

I'm also married to a US citizen (from June 2000) onwards and she's coming back with
me; plans are advanced enough that we have plane tickets and a house in the UK to
which I have the deeds. We're just waiting for her school year to end since she's a
high school teacher.

*If* my company goes to the wall, how best can I stay in the US till June 20? I could
start the Green Card process - but that's $500+ filing fees and more, I'm sure. Or
would I be elegible to get a tourist visa and not work - much as I would hate being a
"kept man", I'm not sure what else I can do.

If the tourist visa route was open to me, how do I get one bearing in mind that right
now I'm already in the US.

Goddam economy.

JR

On 14 Jan 2002 22:20:20 -0500, JasonPrince <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
 
Old Feb 1st 2002, 3:39 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 48
MarkW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

If your company closes down, you're probably best off leaving the U.S. and immediately begin the K-1 process. The timing sounds right.
Mark
MarkW is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2002, 6:49 pm
  #8  
Jeremy Russell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

K-1 is the Fiancee visa, isn't it? I'm already married and if the worst comes to the
worst, just want to be able to hang out at home and watch daytime soaps till June
rolls around and we head off as planned back to the UK.

Again, is there any one course of action that is less expensive or less hassle than
any other?

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 17:07:21 GMT, MarkW <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    >
 
Old Feb 1st 2002, 7:16 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 48
MarkW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Your original post said you had a fiance six months away from USC. I guess you'd be eligible to change status to B-1, but my guess is that they might not by your story that you intend to return to U.K.
MarkW is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2002, 7:46 pm
  #10  
Jeremy Russell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Gotcha. I jumped in to the middle of an original thread started by Jason, who seems
to be in the position you mentioned. I'm different, as I mentioned, in that I am
indeed legally married. I DO intend to return to the UK - always did - I DO have a
house in the UK, purchased last November and my 2nd wife's house in the US HAS to be
sold next June under the terms of her divorce agreement.

Also, I have two 1st class plane tickets "purchased" with frequent flier
miles, for June.

I'm really not sure how much more proof that I'm outtahere I could provide

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 20:27:01 GMT, MarkW <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.