Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1B, H4 and Pregnant

H1B, H4 and Pregnant

Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:12 pm
H1B Visa Holder

Sproik is a jewel in the roughSproik is a jewel in the roughSproik is a jewel in the roughSproik is a jewel in the rough
Default H1B, H4 and Pregnant

The time is fast approaching where we fly out now. We have our visa interviews this week and are leaving 3 weeks after that. I'll be on a H1B with my wife and 4 kids on H4's.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience of doing this while pregnant. My wife will be 28 weeks pregnant when we leave; are we likely to be asked any additional questions? Should we make any special preperations etc? Reason for asking is I just saw a "horror story" of a lady from Pakistan who was turned away and sent home because she was pregnant.

Just to be specific, we're all UK citizens, insurance is fully sorted and we will be covered under my group policy. Question is relating purely to visa interviews and POA questions/checks.

Last edited by Sproik; Jul 5th 2010 at 5:18 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B, H4 and Pregnant

Originally Posted by Sproik
The time is fast approaching where we fly out now. We have our visa interviews this week and are leaving 3 weeks after that. I'll be on a H1B with my wife and 4 kids on H4's.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience of doing this while pregnant. My wife will be 28 weeks pregnant when we leave; are we likely to be asked any additional questions? Should we make any special preperations etc? Reason for asking is I just saw a "horror story" of a lady from Pakistan who was turned away and sent home because she was pregnant.

Just to be specific, we're all UK citizens, insurance is fully sorted and we will be covered under my group policy. Question is relating purely to visa interviews and POA questions/checks.
To my knowledge, you shouldn't have any problems.

Was the Pakistani lady accompanying her H1B husband? Probably not.

Rene
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I just realized 28 weeks is about 7 months. You might want to check ahead with the airline to make sure they'll let her fly that far along.

You won't have any visa issues, or POE issues, as long as the airline lets her fly at 7 months pregnant.

Rene
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

One detail to keep in mind for after Baby arrives is her new-to-you dual citizen status. She will be a US citizen if she's born in the US and a UK citizen through her parents.
However, the US will always and forever see her as only a US citizen, so you'll want to know about the rules of dual citizenship. Check out this article, and the terrific FAQ that is linked in it:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

Congratulations, and happy travels!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My wife will be 28 weeks pregnant when we leave...
She shouldn't have any problems... as long as the airline lets her on the plane.

Ian
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
One detail to keep in mind for after Baby arrives is her new-to-you dual citizen status. She will be a US citizen if she's born in the US and a UK citizen through her parents.
However, the US will always and forever see her as only a US citizen, so you'll want to know about the rules of dual citizenship. Check out this article, and the terrific FAQ that is linked in it:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

Congratulations, and happy travels!
Hopefully they're not moving to Arizona......
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:18 pm
H1B Visa Holder

Sproik is a jewel in the roughSproik is a jewel in the roughSproik is a jewel in the roughSproik is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the reassurances. The "scare story" was http://nirajfromboston.blogspot.com/...ng-united.html but you're right, it doesn't say if she was on a H4/H1B or not.

And we're going to Utah, what's wrong with Arizona though? Have checked with the airline already - Delta actually have no restrictions up to 36 weeks and 36-40 just want a doctors note saying your fit!

We're aware of the DC status, but thanks for the wiki link - that's nice and conscise.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 7:33 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, airline issues only. However, if possible you might want to get a doctors note even though they are only 7 months (just in case you get someone who wants to be a bit of a pain).

Other thing I would note is to be very wary about dehydration on the flight. People never drink enough water on flights and besides causing jet lag, dehydration is also something that can bring about premature labor.

A recommended level of hydration on a plane is 12 fl oz per hour in the air (12 oz is the size of a can of Coca-Cola). This is what many physios in the states recommend for professional athletes when they go on cross country trips for sporting events (a US cross-country flight is 6 hours). If you are having an 8 hour flight from the UK that's 96 fl ozs, which is about 3 liters of water. Do not rely on the airline crew to provide that amount of water, but instead pay the obscene rates to buy water inside the terminal in large jugs.

Yes, more trips to the bathroom, but probably better to be safe rather than sorry.

Enjoy the flight and welcome to the US.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

And we're going to Utah, what's wrong with Arizona though? Have checked with the airline already - Delta actually have no restrictions up to 36 weeks and 36-40 just want a doctors note saying your fit!
The do not even have the doctor's note issue.
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...erns/index.jsp

"We don't have restrictions for pregnant women, so you don't need a medical certificate to travel.

However, keep in mind that ticket change fees and penalties aren't waived for pregnancy. If you're traveling after your eighth month, it's a good idea to check with your doctor to be sure it will be ok."

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She shouldn't have any problems... as long as the airline lets her on the plane.

Ian
Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yea, airline issues only. However, if possible you might want to get a doctors note even though they are only 7 months (just in case you get someone who wants to be a bit of a pain).
If the OP can afford a BE seat on Delta, that should set his wife for a rather comfortable flight. The water and fluids will never be in shortage and the OBL will pay special attention to her throughout the flight.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reassurances. The "scare story" was http://nirajfromboston.blogspot.com/...ng-united.html but you're right, it doesn't say if she was on a H4/H1B or not.
Reading between the lines, it would seem that the woman who had a problem was using a B visa, where the burden is on the visitor to prove that they are definitely going to be leaving soon. That's not the case for H visas - they've said yes to you being here for 3 years, so you're not expected to behave like someone who's meant to be on a week's visit.