Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1B 221(g)refusal for need of supporting document

H1B 221(g)refusal for need of supporting document

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 7:44 am
Just Joined

UnluckyTwice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B 221(g)refusal for need of supporting document

I got a job offer in US,around 1year back.I went to the US consulate in 2001 jun 10,then they put 221(g) and said it was put on verification,i got the letter again from US Consulate in jun 2002(ie 1 year later) to attend the interview as they had made the verification.I was subject to (technical& non technical interview,which I did very well.The last question the Consular Officer asked me was
a)was the US offer still valid,if so please get the signed leter from the company on the company letter head
They put a 221(g) and said if u can get the letter we can issue the visa.

Now I have written a mail to the employer to provide me the leter stating that the offer was still valid as per I-797

here I have few questions
1)whose fault was it,bcoz i got the interview from consulate 1 year later and now they are asking me if the offer is still valid
2)If the emplyer refuses to give me the letter, what action can I take against the employer.
3)remark on my visa (i.e 221(g))was caused due to the cosulate's failure of not mentioning clearly about the latest offer letter(bcos they gave me standard format.will I be able get any type of visa from a different employer
4)will i not be able to go to US till this issue is resolved?

Please help me
Old Jul 24th 2002, 6:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: H1B 221(g)refusal for need of supporting document

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 06:21:02 -0700, UnluckyTwice wrote:

> I got a job offer in US,around 1year back.I went to the US consulate in 2001 jun
    > 10,then they put 221(g) and said it was put on verification,i got the letter again
    > from US Consulate in jun 2002(ie 1 year later) to attend the interview as they had
    > made the verification.I was subject to (technical& non technical interview,which I
    > did very well.The last question the Consular Officer asked me was a)was the US
    > offer still valid,if so please get the signed leter from the company on the
    > company letter head They put a 221(g) and said if u can get the letter we can
    > issue the visa.
    >
    > Now I have written a mail to the employer to provide me the leter stating that the
    > offer was still valid as per I-797
    >
    > here I have few questions
    > 1)whose fault was it,bcoz i got the interview from consulate 1 year later and now
    > they are asking me if the offer is still valid

It's nobody's "fault". This is a perfectly valid question. The consular officer wants
to issue you the H-1B, but if you won't have a job when you arrive, then there would
be no point.

> 2)If the emplyer refuses to give me the letter, what action can I take against the
    > employer.

None. If the employer still wants to hire you, they *will* give you the letter. If
not - then you wouldn't qualify for the H-1B anyway.

> 3)remark on my visa (i.e 221(g))was caused due to the cosulate's failure of not
    > mentioning clearly about the latest offer letter(bcos they gave me standard
    > format.will I be able get any type of visa from a different employer

Yes, there should not be a problem getting a visa through a different employer.

> 4)will i not be able to go to US till this issue is resolved?

Correct. You can't go to the US until you have your visa. You won't even get on board
the plane.

Ingo