Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1 and L1 visas to be suspended by President.

H1 and L1 visas to be suspended by President.

Old Jul 1st 2020, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

phish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H1 and L1 visas to be suspended by President.

One area i'm not clear on - does that affect permanent residence applications at all?

Currently in the US on an L1 and looking at getting an employer sponsored green card. No paperwork submitted as of yet, so would be a new application.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phish
One area i'm not clear on - does that affect permanent residence applications at all?

Currently in the US on an L1 and looking at getting an employer sponsored green card. No paperwork submitted as of yet, so would be a new application.
Not yet but the proclomation implies that something may be coming down the line for EB2, EB3 wrt PERM and I140.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 6:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If you are L1-A and don't need PERM certification then you may not be affected. I would get that application in pronto.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

lylat is an unknown quantity at this point

On a L1B that expires in November, current tax resident for past 2 years in the US.
Currently tax resident in the US.
Nearly finished the PERM steps for employer sponsored green card.

Due to this and potential furloughs in the government departments I have been told the following:
- I will likely need to do a L1B extension so that I can continue working whilst we complete the submission of the green card.
- Once green card is submitted, the usual 1-2 months it takes for a travel permit could potentially take twice as long.
- In the mean time, I cannot travel with my L1B extension as I am unable to get a new stamp during this ban.
- I have been advised not to travel until I get my travel permit through my green card, due to the current and potential restrictions.

So for me, in order to work after my L1 expires in November, I will need a L1B extension (as now the green card will take much longer than expected).
And in order for me to be able to travel outside of the US, I will need to wait for either my new travel stamp via my L1B extension, or a travel permit via my green card, whatever comes first.

Hope this helps others, it sucks for sure, I have been meaning to visit family back in the UK but with my current circumstances (and the covid19 situation in general), I have been advised that it could anywhere between 6-12 months to be able to safely and confidently travel.
I have however been told that due to my green card nearly completing the PERM stage, as long as nothing drastic suddenly gets implemented, I should be okay on that front.

Of note, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned as much is the furloughs in the departments involved with processing these sorts of applications, my immigration lawyer has told me this is very likely going to effect process times. Not sure if anyone else has head this.

Anyway, sketchy situation for us all involved, good luck to everyone else!

Last edited by lylat; Jul 5th 2020 at 5:04 pm.