H1 Base

Old Dec 25th 2014, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1 Base

Does anyone have any experiences of using H1 Base in obtaining a job and an H-1B visa?

Thanks.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1 Base

Originally Posted by El Supremo
Does anyone have any experiences of using H1 Base in obtaining a job and an H-1B visa?

Thanks.
Give you a clue.

Anyone asking for money is scamming you.
End of.

If you are highly qualified, extensively experienced in your field, and have skills that are in high demand with American employers, then use Linkedin to develop a network of contacts. Join some forums, show your knowledge by contributing information.

(I see you are a solicitor. I believe there is currently an overabundance of lawyers in the US.)

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...choolsxml.html

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 25th 2014 at 9:53 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't you have to be qualified in US law?
Old Dec 25th 2014, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
(I see you are a solicitor. I believe there is currently an overabundance of lawyers in the US.)

Too many lawyers, too few jobs | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times
This article is from last year, but things haven't changed much ...

Grads Sue Southwestern Law School Over Employment Rate Claims « CBS Los Angeles

... of course there is a certain poetic justice in a law school being sued by its former students ...
Old Dec 25th 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Wouldn't you have to be qualified in US law?
It is (of course) worse than that.

To practice law in any state you need to pass the bar exam for that state.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to clarify, I'll be qualifying as a solicitor very shortly and I do understand that I would need to re-qualify in the US if I wanted to practise law.

I'm not too keen on the idea of re-qualification so I'm looking into alternatives that are related to my legal background (as per the requirements of the H-1B visa) without me needing to re-qualify, such as legal finance.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, I'll be qualifying as a solicitor very shortly and I do understand that I would need to re-qualify in the US if I wanted to practise law.

I'm not too keen on the idea of re-qualification so I'm looking into alternatives that are related to my legal background (as per the requirements of the H-1B visa) without me needing to re-qualify, such as legal finance.
Bottom line?

No one is going to consider you for a job unless you're highly experienced in your field and even so considering that there's already a glut of lawyers here in the US....well..

Think about it.
How would you attempt to convince a US employer to go through the process, time, expense, to employ you when there's already qualified applicants on their doorstep desperate for a job?

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 25th 2014 at 11:48 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is from 2007 but might be useful:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...l-scam-436849/
Old Dec 26th 2014, 1:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

About the only realistic way to leverage your legal qualification to a job in the US would be to get a job with an international firm of lawyers in the UK and then get them to transfer you to their US office. Obviously this wouldn't be easy, but I suspect that it would be several degrees of magnitude easier than persuading a US employer to hire you to do a job that you do not have the qualification (in the US) to do.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 26th 2014 at 1:24 am.