Reload this Page >

H1 B Visa & Passport

H1 B Visa & Passport

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:32 pm
JoR
Just Joined

JoR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1 B Visa & Passport

I've just recently switched from the F1 visa to a H1B and plan to return to the UK for the Christmas holidays. As my passport (which has the F1 visa stamped in it) was due to expire in May 2006 - so it's currently being renewed in Washington as we speak (and I am afraid - given what others say that this won't get returned for a few weeks more).

When I get it back - do I need to have anything done with the passport i.e. stamped with a H1B visa so that I can get back into the US after my holidays. I have the H1B visa itself - but don't know what to do next.

Any help would be greatfully received!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:39 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1 B Visa & Passport

Originally Posted by JoR
I've just recently switched from the F1 visa to a H1B and plan to return to the UK for the Christmas holidays. As my passport (which has the F1 visa stamped in it) was due to expire in May 2006 - so it's currently being renewed in Washington as we speak (and I am afraid - given what others say that this won't get returned for a few weeks more).

When I get it back - do I need to have anything done with the passport i.e. stamped with a H1B visa so that I can get back into the US after my holidays. I have the H1B visa itself - but don't know what to do next.

Any help would be greatfully received!
It sounds like you only have the H1 approval and not a visa. You will have to get the actual visa in the passport when you next travel outside the country, and you'll need to set up an appointment for that with the US embassy in London, and attend an interview etc.

You might want to look here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...niv/index.html
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:48 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Like neil says. You don't have a visa, you have H1B status which means that USCIS is allowing you to be in the country. Now you have to convince the State Department to let you back into the US after you leave - that's the visa (stamp) that you need to get. You used to be able to get this in Canada (by appointment) - don't know if the rules have changed. Otherwise you need to visit the demons in the London embassy.

BTW, that F1 visa stamp is no good now because you no longer have a valid I-20. (You're out of student status.)
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:06 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Like neil says. You don't have a visa, you have H1B status which means that USCIS is allowing you to be in the country. Now you have to convince the State Department to let you back into the US after you leave - that's the visa (stamp) that you need to get. You used to be able to get this in Canada (by appointment) - don't know if the rules have changed. Otherwise you need to visit the demons in the London embassy.

BTW, that F1 visa stamp is no good now because you no longer have a valid I-20. (You're out of student status.)
The OP obviously forgot all about these answers given earlier in the month:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...25#post2965425
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:10 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I thought it sounded a tad familiar. Oh well, at least he's not demanding to know where his E2 is....
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe he didn't believe us?

To the OP: What was the problem with the answers you originally got? If you do have further questions, it would have been nice to say 'I've already asked but XYZ still isn't clear to me'...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:14 pm
JoR
Just Joined

Thank you for the information. I am glad I didn't buy the tickets yet.

I checked the website for the UK - it seems like there is a 3 week wait and from what you say - no guarantee that I can get back here!

Any information on getting this from Canada would be great if anyone knows.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:18 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by JoR
Thank you for the information. I am glad I didn't buy the tickets yet.

I checked the website for the UK - it seems like there is a 3 week wait and from what you say - no guarantee that I can get back here!

Any information on getting this from Canada would be great if anyone knows.
You shouldn't have a problem getting back here unless something seems dubious at the interview. As for the wait, if you get someone to make an appointment for you a few weeks before you go back then you really don't have a wait (just to get your passport sent back to you).

I'm afraid I don't know about getting it done in Canada - I haven't been to get my renewed L1 yet, mainly because I married a USC and want to have AP as a back up for getting back into the US in case something unexpected happens at the L1 visa interview. From what I've heard it's a pretty simple process - I'd rather do it in the UK because you need somewhere for them to send your passport, and if you have to be in a hotel I'm sure that could be a pain.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:19 pm
JoR
Just Joined

Apologies. I forgot to search for my original post. Desperation. Your assistance was helpful. Sorry about perceived 'time wasting'.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 7:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I don't know about getting it done in Canada - .
I've done both and it's basically the same, but the turn-around time in Canada is quicker. We got our PPs back same day, whereas in London it took about 3 days.

Vancouver is a nice place for a visit...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Could always ask in the Visa section, regarding getting stamped in Canada..
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Jan in Arizona is on a distinguished road

My 18 year old son is in the UK at present for 10 days - my mum made him an appointment to get his renewed H4 visa stamped in his passport the day after he landed in London and his passport was delivered back to him the next day! Mind you, mum spent about £15 on the telephone call to make the appointment at some ridiculous rate per minute, holding on to speak to the right person. The appointment itself cost £60 I think and you have to pay around £10 for the courier to deliver the passport.