Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1-B visa interview (fairly urgent please!)

H1-B visa interview (fairly urgent please!)

Old Aug 18th 2003, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Default H1-B visa interview (fairly urgent please!)

I have my visa interview on the 27th August.

I have the checklist of things to bring - the only problem I have is that I cannot find my old passport (it says to bring old passports and travel documents). I don't keep old travel documents really, at least not consistently.

Will this be a problem????

Thanks.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

at0001 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my h1-b visa interview last week and didn't take/wasn't asked for old passports.

I had a bundle of supporting docs too but all they wanted, were DS156, DS157, I-797 and current passport.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

my interview is in two weeks. can you give me any idea what it is like i.e. is it like going to see the headmaster when you were in trouble/ a hard job interview/a doctor's visit...?.

I really have no idea what to expect. I am going with my 6 month pregnant wife too.

We have all the paperwork plus we will be taking birth & marriage certificates,.

Also, do they split you up and ask you probing questions?

Any other tips?

Thanks.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

If you are going to the London embassy you will find it a pleasant experience. They could not be more helpful if they tried,
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow. do you speak from personal experience. I suppose it is a fear of the unknown and the usual imposing vibe that embassies/officialdom give off...
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:09 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I found that US Embassy in London was great, the immigration officer who interviewed me for my green card, was jovial, and very unintimidating.

It was the build up to the day that got me wound up, my US lawyer says to me before I left for the interview, "don't laugh or joke with the immigration officer, stay focused and professional". My lawyer was more intimiating than the Embassy personnel.

Obviously you do need all your papers in order, but as long as they are, I think you'll do fine!

Take a book, it can be a long wait.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:11 pm
ScarlettHill

London Embassy's not scarey. They have a job to do and they do it efficiently and with friendliness. They're not trying to catch you out, just verify your details. The worst part of my interview day was travelling on the tubes. There's a Starbucks just round the corner. Panic not! It'll be over before you know it

Best of luck.

Regards
-=-
SCarlett

Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:29 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, its actually a place where a lot of dreams come true and there are many emotions expressed, it was quite something to see an elderly couple who had been trying for permanent US residence for 10 years finally realise that dream.