Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

H1-B interview in the morning

H1-B interview in the morning

Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:56 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of
Default H1-B interview in the morning

Eek, this is all starting to look a bit real. I have my H1-B interview at the US Embassy in London in the morning. I also have (visa permitting) arranged to arrive in the US on June 21st, prior to starting work on July 1st.

What are these interviews like? If it's anything like my J1 interview a couple of years ago, it will be no problem...
Me: (hands over paperwork)
Embassy person: (looks through papers)
Embassy person: Oh wow, cool! You're going to work at NASA!
Embassy person: (stamps papers)
Me: Oh, thanks.
Me: (leaves)
but that seems a bit like wishful thinking...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: H1-B interview in the morning

I think I remember you

Are you coming to work at Nasa? If so it will go like this:

You: (hands over paperwork)
You: Oh, thanks.
You: (leaves)

Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:07 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by st326
Eek, this is all starting to look a bit real. I have my H1-B interview at the US Embassy in London in the morning. I also have (visa permitting) arranged to arrive in the US on June 21st, prior to starting work on July 1st.

What are these interviews like? If it's anything like my J1 interview a couple of years ago, it will be no problem...

Let me put it like this, the words: "Exterminate, exterminate" should not frighten you.

PS I'm sure it will all go belly-up ... opps, I mean fine. Just go into the interview wearing a hard hat.

No, the interview will go fine ... from the perspective you will still have a heartbeat at the termination of the interview.

It (the interview) will go great = you will walk out with all your limbs ... just not attached to your body is all.

It will go brilliantly = you will still be conscious when they drag you out.

No, I am certain that it will go OK ... but you will get stuck in traffic.

It would have gone the way you like, but you find out you don't have a job with NASA.

It would have gone like clockwork, but you fail your PhD

No, you will pass your PhD, will do OK in the interview, the NASA job will still be there for you ... but you will take a shelf-stacking job upon learning that ...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:09 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Both you (u and the interviewer) might have wide eyes for each other and fall in love and rocket off into the sunset together.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:10 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I think I remember you

Are you coming to work at Nasa? If so it will go like this:

You: (hands over paperwork)
You: Oh, thanks.
You: (leaves)
I do hope so!

Yes, I'm going back to NASA, the same group I worked in during summer '04, at the Ames Research Center in Mountain View, CA. I'm going to be working on software (and possibly also hardware) verification and validation for the CEV (the replacement for the Shuttle).

*crosses fingers for tomorrow*
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:12 pm
Utter Newbie

Originally Posted by User Name
Both you (u and the interviewer) might have wide eyes for each other and fall in love and rocket off into the sunset together.
Now *there's* a thought!

If they are a USC, it might make my GC application a bit easier... humm...
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:16 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Now *there's* a thought!

If they are a USC, it might make my GC application a bit easier... humm...
"They"? You will happily marry "they"? If he is a USC ... he will be married ... with loads of kids and debts up to his Ferengi lobes.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:27 pm
Utter Newbie

Thumbs up Re: H1-B interview in the morning

The interview went fine. I was asked a few very minor questions, then was told that I should have my visa within 3-5 working days. Woohoo!