British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   H Working Visas (Non-Immigrant) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/h-working-visas-non-immigrant-256444/)

HR Dave Sep 24th 2004 2:41 pm

H Working Visas (Non-Immigrant)

My girlfriend and I are going to Denver for two years, she is getting and internal company transfer. I have started looking for a job and I have been in touch with local HR associations and everyone has been positive.

Does anyone have any experiences of getting a H visa that they can share with me.......e.g. length of time, difficulty?

Cheers,

Dave.

Manc Sep 24th 2004 2:46 pm

Re: H Working Visas (Non-Immigrant)

Originally Posted by HR Dave
My girlfriend and I are going to Denver for two years, she is getting and internal company transfer. I have started looking for a job and I have been in touch with local HR associations and everyone has been positive.

Does anyone have any experiences of getting a H visa that they can share with me.......e.g. length of time, difficulty?

Cheers,

Dave.

how will you be able to stay in Denver with her?

Englishmum Sep 24th 2004 2:53 pm

What do you do for a living? Do you have a degree?

Another alternative is for you to marry ASAP then you will be eligible for an L2 visa (if she is being transferred on an L1). Spouses on L2 visas can apply for an Employment Authorization Card and allowed to work in the US (in fact you get more options than the L1 visa holder!!!!) .

HR Dave Sep 24th 2004 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
how will you be able to stay in Denver with her?

Company provides accomodation, car etc. I just have to get a job pre-arranged (!!), then the company sends a petition to USCIS (I think that's what the acronym is), it gets approved and can apply for a H1 visa.

Manc Sep 24th 2004 8:27 pm

Company provides accomodation, car etc. I just have to get a job pre-arranged (!!), then the company sends a petition to USCIS (I think that's what the acronym is), it gets approved and can apply for a H1 visa.

providing no US citizen applies for the job, and that the H1 quota hasn't already been reached for that year.

HR Dave Sep 24th 2004 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
What do you do for a living? Do you have a degree?

Another alternative is for you to marry ASAP then you will be eligible for an L2 visa (if she is being transferred on an L1). Spouses on L2 visas can apply for an Employment Authorization Card and allowed to work in the US (in fact you get more options than the L1 visa holder!!!!) .

I work in Human Resources doing Learning and Development for a Oil and Gas Operator/Contractor. I have a MA (Hons) in Management Studies, a Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management and I am a Graduate member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development UK. I have 13 months HR experience and 2 years marketing based experience.

The marriage thing isn't really on the cards! However, her company said that in Colorado they recognise people co-habiting....but I don't think that would make a difference????

HR Dave Sep 24th 2004 8:33 pm

providing no US citizen applies for the job, and that the H1 quota hasn't already been reached for that year.

Any idea of what the quota is? Have you had experience of applying for a 'H' visa ?

Cheers,
Dave.

Manc Sep 24th 2004 8:36 pm

Any idea of what the quota is? Have you had experience of applying for a 'H' visa ?

Cheers,
Dave.

56,000 H1 visa's for the fiscal year starting Oct 2004-2005.
I am pretty sure most are already filled by now.

HR Dave Sep 24th 2004 8:40 pm

56,000 H1 visa's for the fiscal year starting Oct 2004-2005.
I am pretty sure most are already filled by now.

Do you mean if I applied now it wouldn't happen but if I applied in October/Nov it would?

Thanks for your help mate.

Manc Sep 24th 2004 8:45 pm

Do you mean if I applied now it wouldn't happen but if I applied in October/Nov it would?

Thanks for your help mate.

you don't apply, your sponsor applies on your behalf I think, by November it will be too late.

syllk Sep 24th 2004 9:10 pm

This link may give a little more insight with regards to the caps: http://www.usvisanews.com/articles/memo2322.shtml

Also, although Colorado may recognise unmarried couples co-habiting, I'm pretty sure USCIS will not. You will either have to get married and enter the US on the back of your wife's visa, or be sponsored by an employer independently (and that's no simple task at the moment). I don't mean this to sound harsh, I just want you to be aware that immigration can be tougher than it first appears.

One recommendation that I have consistently seen in other threads on this, and other, forums is that it would be advisable to find a good US immigration attorney so that you can explore every possible option.

HR Dave Sep 24th 2004 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by syllk
This link may give a little more insight with regards to the caps: http://www.usvisanews.com/articles/memo2322.shtml

Also, although Colorado may recognise unmarried couples co-habiting, I'm pretty sure USCIS will not. You will either have to get married and enter the US on the back of your wife's visa, or be sponsored by an employer independently (and that's no simple task at the moment). I don't mean this to sound harsh, I just want you to be aware that immigration can be tougher than it first appears.

One recommendation that I have consistently seen in other threads on this, and other, forums is that it would be advisable to find a good US immigration attorney so that you can explore every possible option.

Thanks for that. I realise that it is pretty difficult to get a visa. My girlfriend's company expect to have her visa in place by the 1st of November 2004 and they haven't even applied for it yet.........I will go out on the Visa Waiver with her and come back before Christmas.

Any other advice........anyone?

Manc Sep 24th 2004 9:55 pm

Thanks for that. I realise that it is pretty difficult to get a visa.

no you don't, otherwise you'd never have said "My girlfriend and I are going to Denver for two years"
unless you get married, your going for 90 days max.

harsh, but truth.

HR Dave Sep 25th 2004 2:56 pm

no you don't, otherwise you'd never have said "My girlfriend and I are going to Denver for two years"
unless you get married, your going for 90 days max.

harsh, but truth.

Yes harsh, but it is better we know 'how it is' in the first place. We will try and do it, if it doesn't work it doesn't work.