Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Guns in America

Guns in America

Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guns in America

Originally Posted by chawkins99
.... I'm sure there are cases of prolific serial killers in China, Russia, Africa, South America, ......
I'm sure too .... because examples of serial killers from all of those countries, and many more besides, are included the Wiki data that I cited.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 4:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's not in the immi section of the forum though (don't think it ever was, although perhaps it's been moved from there, although that's not showing for me). So it's in the right place.

I don't see that this thread has been moved. It has been in this forum since she originally posted it yesterday.

Perhaps she is thinking of another thread that she started in Australia perhaps about life there and spiders?
Old Jun 16th 2017, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm sure too .... because examples of serial killers from all of those countries, and many more besides, are included the Wiki data that I cited.
My point is there is much less data available from many parts of the world compared to the US which skews the statistics.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 4:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My point is there is much less data available from many parts of the world compared to the US which skews the statistics.
You may be right, qualitatively at least, but I would guess that the missing data is closer to 20% of the total, than to 80%.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Although I believe there should be stricter gun control, I'm not particularly worried about the guns here. Been to the range a few times and fired my mate's .44 Magnum, and loved it.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 9:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
Oh I don't know - from first hand accounts it seems this subject affects all lives. From at work, to innocent children, families in home invasions...as well as gangs and trailer parks. I'd say it was quite relevant :-/
None of the above nor any worries about any of the above have affected my life or the lives of my now grown children, my relatives or my friends.

I'm not a worrier or one who looks for the worst case scenario to occur.

It does, though, appear to be very relevant to you. You quote first hand accounts. I've seen you post the account of two or perhaps three people that you have read online. Now think about how many people live in the US and tell me if that is a fair sampling?

Violent crimes are a serious matter but for the average person living in the US it rarely touches their lives.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 16th 2017 at 9:56 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 10:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I don't know - from first hand accounts it seems this subject affects all lives. From at work, to innocent children, families in home invasions...as well as gangs and trailer parks. I'd say it was quite relevant :-/
It seems that there is a very simple solution; if you are so scared of what life in the US might hold for you, you shouldn't come here.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason not to eat Taco Bell on a bus.

On Wednesday June 28, 2017, at 11:41 p.m., North Precinct officers responded to Northeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Lombard Street on the report of gunfire that damaged a TriMet bus.

As officers were responding to the scene they received additional information that a suspect appeared to be shooting at a person in a car but struck the bus instead.

Officers arrived in the area and located evidence of gunfire in the parking lot of Taco Bell, located on the southwest corner of the intersection. Several cars were damaged in addition to the TriMet bus. No gunshot victims were located at the scene or arrived at any area hospitals.
Witnesses described several black males involved in a disturbance leading to gunfire and several vehicles were driven out of the area after the shots.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 6:46 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Although I believe there should be stricter gun control, I'm not particularly worried about the guns here.
Before imposing any new controls, we aught to enforce the laws that are already on the books
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Before imposing any new controls, we ought to enforce the laws that are already on the books. ....
That's just crazy talk!
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:37 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

These statistics are based on published and freely available (to Wikipedia) data. The problem with it is many areas of the world don't have the publicity and access to the data that the US provides.

I'm sure there are cases of prolific serial killers in China, Russia, Africa, South America, which haven't been publicized in the way they would in the US. So to say US accounts for 39% of serial killers worldwide when the data may only account for 20% (wild guess) of the world's population is perhaps distorting the facts.
But America does seem to have a disproportionately high number of whack jobs
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:42 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

There's masses of information on other countries and the number of deaths by guns. You can look up any number of tables and charts listing countries in rank order by deaths by guns. The additional information that's available regarding America is because it's expected that America, being a first world "civilised" country should know better. Unless you're categorising America at the same level as Yemen, Iran, Serbia and the like? (Which also rank highly for gun ownership (all less than America though!) and gun deaths).
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:48 pm

.... Unless you're categorising America at the same level as Yemen, Iran, Serbia and the like? (Which also rank highly for gun ownership (all less than America though!) and gun deaths).
Well when the US accounts for, IIRC, 7/8ths of all global small-arms sales (including those sold to the military around the world) every year it it hardly likely that any other country could ever compete with the US for gun ownership numbers.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:51 pm
Concierge

But America does seem to have a disproportionately high number of whack jobs
No, they do not. Our population surpasses that of most European countries and bear in mind that many of those that are gun toting idiots in the US are new immigrants. Just look here on this forum and this thread and others like it and you will see that many Brits who immigrant to the US purchase guns asap.

There's masses of information on other countries and the number of deaths by guns. You can look up any number of tables and charts listing countries in rank order by deaths by guns. The additional information that's available regarding America is because it's expected that America, being a first world "civilised" country should know better. Unless you're categorising America at the same level as Yemen, Iran, Serbia and the like? (Which also rank highly for gun ownership (all less than America though!) and gun deaths).
You don't like the US. You don't want to live here. You lived in the State of Texas which has a very high percentage of people who own guns and yet you didn't go screaming into the night. You didn't see anyone murdered, gunned down in front of you. You didn't have your home invaded. You went happily about your life until now.

Can we give this a rest already? There are nut jobs, terrorists, etc. all over the world. We own guns in our home and I don't plan on killing anyone. I do think of it occasionally but no, I am not a whack job and will not be aiming my pistol at you or anyone else and pulling the trigger.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 29th 2017 at 8:55 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by vulcan
I live in south Texas. Of the people I know, more have guns than don't. Those that do have guns often have more than one. The norm seems to be at least one at home and probably one in the vehicle. No licence required.

I don't feel any more at risk of violent crime here than I did in the UK. However as they say here in Texas 'it's no good taking a knife to a gun fight'.

A close friend, a senior exec in a F500 company has an extensive collection of hand and long guns. A stockpile of ammunition. Each room of his large house has a hand gun readily available.
Where on earth does he live to need a gun in every room??? Is he just paranoid or is the problem way more worse than a lot of people realise and this man knows it and is ready? That's the real question :-/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.