Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Guide to obtaining an IR-1 visa in London (Long!)

Guide to obtaining an IR-1 visa in London (Long!)

Old Sep 19th 2001, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

PriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to all

Just a recollection of all the things that happened in the few hours I was at the embassy/doctors office.

The medical examination and 'formal' interview were to be held on the 17th Sept. (Mon), we had stayed overnight in London since to make the trip down from South Wales (where we live currently) wouldn't be feasible. First thing that needed to be done was to see the Doctor at 53 Great Cumberland Place which is a stones throw from the Embassy area if you don't know already.
We got there at 07:15 and we were the only ones there at that time, at about 7:30 another man came along and we started chatting (he was applying for a K1) - at about 7:55 there were about 18 people I would say in total - they opened the doors a few minutes past 08:00. We were then divided into groups, people applying for visas downstairs (the dungeon) and family upstairs (icebox), we were all handed a form which explained about the blood testing and were asked to submit our passports and medical records (I handed mine in first). I guess it must have been about 8:50 when myself and the guy who was applying for a K1 were called up to pay the £85 for the examination, 09:07 I was called for the blood test with an English/Asian nurse - very painless and quick and definitely. nothing to worry about whatsoever and I can say this cause I was worried - I don't mind needles, but blood tests are a step above a normal injection!.

-- Overall impression of the waiting room - small, constricted, everything's close together and not very comfortable, the bathroom is a joke, if you ever use it you'll see what I mean. The worst thing is the endless waiting around for seemingly nothing to be done - people weren't seen in ANY kind of order.

I'm not exactly sure of the times now, but I think about 20 minutes afterwards that guy and I were called in for an X-ray with the resident x-rayologist who as you may know fancies himself as a bit of a comedian. The x-ray changing rooms are in a row about 6-7 in total, cubicles really like in a clothes store, we stripped from neck to waist and as the doc said, stopped at skin. The x-ray itself was quick and done in about 15 seconds, the next wait was to see the doctor himself (Phelan wasn't in that day). When I eventually saw him he simply asked me about hospital visits (I had ticked yes) and vaccinations (I didn't need any cause I had them previously), he took my pulse, looked down my throat and listened to my heart front and back - signed a form and I was good to go. I left the doctors office at 10:05 for the Embassy, which is the next part of my story.

Got to the embassy at 10:20 after walking down the remaining part of Great Cumberland Place, Oxford Street and on to North Audley Ave. You have to walk around to the far end of the embassy next to South Audley Ave actually, where you'll see a lot of people milling around on the steps. I went in and the security people at the desk took my cellphone, digital camera and Palm off me and gave me a tag to re-claim later, they also x-rayed my briefcase and my wife's bag.
We walked up the stairs on the right of the security desk and into the immigrant visa room where we checked in at window 2 (gave the man the apt. letter) - we then took a seat and awaited to be seen.
Can't remember exact times again, but it seemed like about 25 minutes had passed before I was called up to window 3 to give in exactly what was documented in the packet 4 information, he took (in order):

1. DS-230 pt 2
2. Birth certificate + copy
3. Marriage certificate + copy
4. Police certificate + copy
5. Photographs (3) ADIT - which I had to sign and put my fullname on the back of.
6. The I-864 package, For me it included two I-864's, one I-864A and tax returns for my wife and her father + his copied birth certificate.
7. IRS form 9003

They also took my wife's passport and copied it (spur of the moment, cause they didn't say they'd do that). Once that was all done I was handed a yellow form and was told to go to the cashier and pay the $260 application fee (non-refundable), after that I sat around some more until I was called to window 5 to be interviewed by the consular officer who looked like an average Joe which his short hair and casual red checked shirt. He must have been getting on in age and probably 55-60 would be a good guess. The formal interview (??) consisted of us both being sworn in and to say everything here is all true etc, he had me sign the DS-230, did something on his computer, mumbled something about the US selective service had me sign another form and that was it. No questions, no awkward glances, no nothing!
Paid the $65 issuance fee after a lady called me up to window 4 and said my medical was fine.
Waited for about 10-15 minutes more for the visa to be compiled and printed and off I went on my merry way out of the embassy, not believing how easy it had all been and how all the worrying about what if they ask for stuff I haven't got was all for nothing. I mean he didn't even ask me if I planned to work, didn't want to see proof of my wife returning home (to satisfy the domicile part of the I-864).

All done at 11:45, eating lunch at the American burger joint on the corner of North Audley/Oxford St. at 12:10.

Nothing to it really!

PrZ.