Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Guest worker immigration!

Guest worker immigration!

Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:11 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Guest worker immigration!

How do you think this will play out?

Will i be able to get a mate of mine to come out and work for me over here?
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guest worker immigration!

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

The way I read it it's more to fill jobs that no americans want to do?
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If he comes to the US illegally then probably. If he's British and wants to come here legally then probably not.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 28th 2006 at 5:52 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:34 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If he's Mexican and comes to the US illegally then probably. If he's British and wants to come here legally then probably not.

was a sarcastic quip or what you really think?

if its serious then that surely counts as discrimination?
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well think about it. Have you kept up with the news over the last few days?

Its extremely difficult for most Brits to come over here to live and work. If you have a large international company and your mate has special skills that can't be found in a USC then you can probably arrange for him to live/work here.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

If he's Mexican and comes to the US illegally then probably. If he's British and wants to come here legally then probably not.
Im sorry but I really think im going to have to consider that a racist remark and hold you to task for it.....

....Ah bollox no I wont.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Im sorry but I really think im going to have to consider that a racist remark and hold you to task for it.....

....Ah bollox no I wont.
Well won't you just say that I am a really, really naughty girl then?
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:51 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Well think about it. Have you kept up with the news over the last few days?

Its extremely difficult for most Brits to come over here to live and work. If you have a large international company and your mate has special skills that can't be found in a USC then you can probably arrange for him to live/work here.
I came over on an L1, so i know about the H1B/L1 requirements, but surely a 'guest worker' program should make it easier for everyone, not just mexicans to come over and work?

i'm basing my thoughts on the bills going throught the early stages in the senate etc

things like removal of prosecution for people employing immigrants

so in this scenario, a friend could come over here on a visa waiver, and i could employ him without fear of prosecution, he would pay his taxes and eventually get a green card
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Well won't you just say that I am a really, really naughty girl then?
Well ok.....you are a very, very naughty girl and now I must spank you....please see me afterwards so I can show you just what happens to naughty girls.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickmills
The way I read it it's more to fill jobs that no americans want to do?
So then there'll be a few million legally employed and another few million illegally employed!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I came over on an L1, so i know about the H1B/L1 requirements, but surely a 'guest worker' program should make it easier for everyone, not just mexicans to come over and work?

i'm basing my thoughts on the bills going throught the early stages in the senate etc

things like removal of prosecution for people employing immigrants

so in this scenario, a friend could come over here on a visa waiver, and i could employ him without fear of prosecution, he would pay his taxes and eventually get a green card
I have edited my previous post. Yes it does seem that a 'guest worker' could be from any country but all references seem to be of workers crossing the southern borders. As for your friend I really don't have a clue but I am sure there are others here that may be better informed.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:12 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

No such thing as discrimination against someone who has no rights.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I'm ambivalent on this point because it affects a dear friend of mne.

The extension on their L1 was denied out in the land of fruits and nuts, mistakenly as it turns out but what do they care?, and they've been in appeal for over a year. They've been told by their sharks that this is the only way that they'll be able to stay.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
No such thing as discrimination against someone who has no rights.
Heard that one from some ranting cow on xtian talk radio yesterday. As I was doing 90 in the HOV lane, there was limited opportunity to express my outrage at the time.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Heard that one from some ranting cow on xtian talk radio yesterday. As I was doing 90 in the HOV lane, there was limited opportunity to express my outrage at the time.
Was was your inflatable nun strapped in the passenger seat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.