Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Guess the US City... a tough one!

Guess the US City... a tough one!

Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

ctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the rough
Default Guess the US City... a tough one!

This is a tough one I got from another forum... If you live here or have been here and know this city, don't be an ass and tell everyone the answer...

GUESS THE CITY...

Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

ctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Guess the US City... a tough one!

Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Seattle?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:47 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Milwaukee
Never been but recognised the style of the lakeside building. Its a Spanish architect called Santiago Calatrava. Google did the rest.
I claim my smart arse ponts.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:50 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

OK, worked it out. Wow. Would not have guessed that one in a million years. I suddenly have new respect for that place. Nice one.

Since the cat's out of the bag, I'll claim my smarter arse points by saying I just dragged the picture and worked up the URL directories.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Aug 17th 2005 at 5:53 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

And that was the only day of the year that the sun was out. Now show us the real pictures with 20 ft of snow.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Good job! I see we have some cheaters here though!

I don't think Milwaukee sees much snow BTW, not measured in feet anyway. I'm in Chicago and at most we have a couple days a year where it may snow over a few inches, and Milwaukee is only one hour away so I imagine it would be the same. It is on the wrong side of the lake to see much snow (lake effect snow happens on the west side of the lake, Milwaukee and Chicago are on the east side).

BTW I know people would be surprised to come up to see this side of the country, especially at this time of year. I have seen the "surprise" first hand with some visitors I've had. The lake is lined with beaches crowded with people and parks with blooming flowers, and the water is Florida warm with literally hundreds of sail boats out there as far as the eye can see. As of last month the water was 76 degrees around here in Chicago--I'm sure even warmer now. It's funny but people just don't expect all of that that haven't been here.

Last edited by ctwickman; Aug 18th 2005 at 3:16 am.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctwickman
(lake effect snow happens on the west side of the lake, Milwaukee and Chicago are on the east side
You weren't in the boy scouts then?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:28 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

(lake effect snow happens on the west side of the lake, Milwaukee and Chicago are on the east side).
eh?

I'd also say Chicago is on the south side of the lake, but that's just me.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
eh?

I'd also say Chicago is on the south side of the lake, but that's just me.

Nahh, Gary is on the South side. If you stand on the shoreline in Chicago and look out over the lake you are looking entirely West.

And no not in the Boy Scouts, LOL! I just happen to watch the Weather Channel in the winter to see what I should wear here and you would be surprised at how often it is snowing in Michigan but not here due to this "lake effect" that they mention on the telly.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Good job! I see we have some cheaters here though!

I don't think Milwaukee sees much snow BTW, not measured in feet anyway. I'm in Chicago and at most we have a couple days a year where it may snow over a few inches, and Milwaukee is only one hour away so I imagine it would be the same. It is on the wrong side of the lake to see much snow (lake effect snow happens on the west side of the lake, Milwaukee and Chicago are on the east side).

BTW I know people would be surprised to come up to see this side of the country, especially at this time of year. I have seen the "surprise" first hand with some visitors I've had. The lake is lined with beaches crowded with people and parks with blooming flowers, and the water is Florida warm with literally hundreds of sail boats out there as far as the eye can see. As of last month the water was 76 degrees around here in Chicago--I'm sure even warmer now. It's funny but people just don't expect all of that that haven't been here.
I live in Milwaukee and I can tell you we do have snow tonnes of the stuff for months on end...I should know I spent most of the winter out with my puppy who wanted a wee every five minutes. 20 minutes getting togged up in coats, boots, hats and scarves just for a 2 second wee!!!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Nahh, Gary is on the South side. If you stand on the shoreline in Chicago and look out over the lake you are looking entirely West.

And no not in the Boy Scouts, LOL! I just happen to watch the Weather Channel in the winter to see what I should wear here and you would be surprised at how often it is snowing in Michigan but not here due to this "lake effect" that they mention on the telly.
Never Eat Shredded Wheat (in a clockwise direction).
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:38 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I live in Milwaukee and I can tell you we do have snow tonnes of the stuff for months on end...I should know I spent most of the winter out with my puppy who wanted a wee every five minutes. 20 minutes getting togged up in coats, boots, hats and scarves just for a 2 second wee!!!
Must be cold if you have to dress a puppy up like that!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Never Eat Shredded Wheat (in a clockwise direction).
thats what I always say. Without that I always get confused with direction...
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lionheart
Must be cold if you have to dress a puppy up like that!
little bugger doesnt feel the cold...only her stupid mum does!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.