British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Grrr...no more Pataks.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/grrr-no-more-pataks-333800/)

gruffbrown Oct 26th 2005 9:30 pm

Re: Grrr...no more Pataks....

Originally Posted by bored-silly
What?? Baked beans?? I hope that's not true :o

I think some of them may just be paperwork iregularities, 'not listed' being one. I know the Robinsons squash at my little Brit shop now has an additional label on it "California...carcenogenic...bla bla bla"

bored-silly Oct 26th 2005 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I think some of them may just be paperwork iregularities, 'not listed' being one. I know the Robinsons squash at my little Brit shop now has an additional label on it "California...carcenogenic...bla bla bla"

Oh, thank you Gruffy, I thought I was on everyone's ignore list! :o

gruffbrown Oct 26th 2005 9:35 pm

Oh, thank you Gruffy, I thought I was on everyone's ignore list! :o

Cheer up petal :)

nethead Oct 26th 2005 9:43 pm

Do you think it's the same for the Pataks too then? Hope so.
http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/4/ora_oasis_c_gb.html

Annette

gruffbrown Oct 26th 2005 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by nethead
Do you think it's the same for the Pataks too then? Hope so.
http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/4/ora_oasis_c_gb.html

Annette

No idea, they don't seem to like the colour orange, do they :rolleyes:

bored-silly Oct 26th 2005 9:48 pm

No idea, they don't seem to like the colour orange, do they :rolleyes:

So if I send them a pic of myself, they might deport me ;) I can live in hope.

gruffbrown Oct 26th 2005 9:49 pm

So if I send them a pic of myself, they might deport me ;) I can live in hope.

Have you been slapping on the fake tan again? :D

Yorkieabroad Oct 26th 2005 10:17 pm

Oh dear - Rizhao Huayang Farming And Aquatic Prod Shandong haven't been allowed to import their babyfrozen octopus - apparently they " appear to consist in whole or in part of a filthy, putrid, or decomposed substance or be otherwise unfit for food". Always told Mrs Yorkie she shouldn't be eating that stuff :D .

Rete Oct 26th 2005 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
All this from a country that eats pigs feet.

Actually the only one I ever knew in my life to eat pickled pigs feet was my mother. She was born and raised in Germany and didn't migrate until age 23. Yuckie.

Yorkieabroad Oct 26th 2005 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
All this from a country that eats pigs feet.

Oooh - I love a pigs trotter!! Mother in law cooks them long and slow in loads of soy sauce. Gorgeous!

And did you know, the Chinese call them Pigs Hands, not trotters, or feet. totally useless bit of trivia for you!

Bob Oct 27th 2005 12:14 am

Originally Posted by thing1
I went to the FDA website to see if I could find anything to support the above information and I found none. Until I see a news article or official statement at the FDA site stating there will be no more Pataks in the US, I won't be convinced this is true. I also went to the Pataks site and found no news there either.

It comes from the store where I get them, they said the importers where they got pataks from is not longer allowed to import a range of pataks products because the FDA are banning a range of the goods and it came about yesterday when they tried to re-order more goods.

Bob Oct 27th 2005 12:17 am

Originally Posted by jjmb
Interesting list....seems many of our favourites are going be out of reach..fanta. Orange barley water...heinz baked beans to name but a few.

bit surprised to see some lenses being banned...and heinz? weird....i've seen that around at a cost, but might be worth getting it its on the list...

NC Penguin Oct 27th 2005 12:48 am

If any of you pining for Pataks has Asian (aka Indian) grocery stores near you, it's worth popping in and searching for authentic Indian or Pakistani made products to replace the Pataks.

Never used any Pataks products before, only the Asian manufactured stuff. In fact, I used a curry powder said to Madras that was made in Thailand and there was no heat in it at all. :mad:

NC Penguin

Elvira Oct 27th 2005 2:29 am

It's ok to chuck 2lbs of red meat down your throat at a sitting, but you musn't have any colouring :rolleyes:

I am sure you mean read meat fortified with growth hormones and antibiotics - right? :(

Anyone here not read Food Nation? What an eye-opener! Give me our "potentially-possibly-one chance in a million" BSE risk beef any day!

As for Patak's: I'm gutted! I usually host a curry evening 2 weeks before or after Thanksgiving - what the heck am I going to do now? If this is true, I guess I'll have to go back and do it all from scratch, i.e. take a leaf out of Madhur Jaffrey's book...

BTW, I hear she's in the new Meryl Streep movie - I think it's called 'Prime'. Still going strong at over 70!

gruffbrown Oct 27th 2005 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Elvira
Still going strong at over 70!

That will be the curry then :rolleyes: