Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:33 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes they are very nice...but its overseas...as they say hear. LOL

That was another conversation....'Your daughter is so brave going overseas to college.' 'No she's not going overseas, she's going to Canada, same land mass.' 'I couldn't cope if my daughter told me she was going to college overseas, you are so brave.' Can't remember how many times I've had that conversation.
So, they would be OK if their child went to California that is a good few hours flight away, but not if they go to Canada which is only a day's drive away

I swear some people don't belong on this planet!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:37 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
(sigh)

I know exactly how you feel.

Be grateful it is only documents he is losing. My 18 year old son has just told me that is planning to turn down the place he has UCLA (UCLA !!!) because he wants to move in with his girl...

You have my sympathy. Can I have some of yours?
I hope you are managing to persuade him to just defer his place for a year. I know a young man who did this and now this year he is determined to go, and his girlfriend will be going with him. He actually admitted he was sorry he left it a year just to be with his girlfriend. There is hope your son could feel the same in a year
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:46 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

Just remembered - haven't you applied for your green cards? If the application has already gone in, he would no longer be an L2 - he'd be 'pending AOS'.

This is getting complicated!
Well...we do have a copy of his passport, but for some reason the only copy of the latest I-94 has gone to Fragomen's (immigration attorneys) so my husband has e-mailed them to request a soft copy.

Our French friends from Grenoble are going on a driving holiday in a campervan in Quebec next month so I guess we could drive up to Montreal and meet them (they refuse to come into the US whilst Bush is the President!) instead of having a Caribbean holiday and arrange for a new L-2 visa for him at the US consulate there.

We do have the paperwork to file for the green cards and need to arrange for our medicals (not easy when spouse is always travelling)...but my heart just isn't in it and I'm so reluctant to actually go through with the whole process, although I know that we really need to do it ASAP...

What a pain in the arse.....
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
So, they would be OK if their child went to California that is a good few hours flight away, but not if they go to Canada which is only a day's drive away

I swear some people don't belong on this planet!

I've gotta another one...the doctor told me to make a follow up appointment to see him in one week. The conversation with the receptionist went like this.

'The doctors wants to see me in a weeks time' (lets say its the first of the month)
'That'll be at 10 o clock on the 14th'
'No he wants to see me in one weeks time...not two'
'The 14th is in one weeks time'
'No its 2 weeks...14 days equals two weeks'
'No its 1 week'
At this point I rip the calendar off the wall and count out the days'
'1, 2, 3....14...see 14 days equals two weeks not one'
'Only if you count the weekends'

Gotta love 'em.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 14th 2006 at 1:51 am.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:50 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are very nice...but its overseas...as they say here. LOL

That was another conversation....'Your daughter is so brave going overseas to college.' 'No she's not going overseas, she's going to Canada, same land mass.' 'I couldn't cope if my daughter told me she was going to college overseas, you are so brave.' Can't remember how many times I've had that conversation.
Couldn't get any further away than me and my son. I am in Nz and he is at college in the Uk. Would love him to be closer but alas we have msn and make do for now... Totally agree with the hormones thing and teenage boys, my son deff had his moments, now he has a girlfriend that he has been seeing now for 11months and most of our conversations are about her.!!!

Englishmum, good luck with the passport issue...
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:51 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Just remembered - haven't you applied for your green cards? If the application has already gone in, he would no longer be an L2 - he'd be 'pending AOS'.

This is getting complicated!
But he'd still be able to keep his L2 status - as in travel in and out in the meantime.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:52 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well...we do have a copy of his passport, but for some reason the only copy of the latest I-94 has gone to Fragomen's (immigration attorneys) so my husband has e-mailed them to request a soft copy.

Our French friends from Grenoble are going on a driving holiday in a campervan in Quebec next month so I guess we could drive up to Montreal and meet them (they refuse to come into the US whilst Bush is the President!) instead of having a Caribbean holiday and arrange for a new L-2 visa for him at the US consulate there.

We do have the paperwork to file for the green cards and need to arrange for our medicals (not easy when spouse is always travelling)...but my heart just isn't in it and I'm so reluctant to actually go through with the whole process, although I know that we really need to do it ASAP...

What a pain in the arse.....

Tell me about it... I hope your case goes smoothly! (Don't know if you're familiar with my oldest son's case, but it's a *****ing nightmare. I hate everything to do with US immigration with a passion )

BTW I would definitely make an infopass appointment before travelling out of the US - it would be awful if something went wrong.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 3:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You need form I-102 ..and a
mere $160 to replace the I-94

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-102.htm
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I really have no idea but wouldn't think you can travel back to the USA without the visa.

Try calling the consulate in NYC....I know the PP has to be obtained from DC but maybe they can tell you if you can get a 'walk in' replacement in DC.

My daughter told us a couple of months ago that she leaves her PP and GC in her car. Its been parked in downtown Toronto for the last 3 yrs.....kids I ask you. :scared:

Good luck.
You're 25 years old and you have a daughter who drives a car ?

Getting back to the orriginal thread ... You have my sympathy Englishmum. When you manage to get him a replacement ......... confiscate it
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
You're 25 years old and you have a daughter who drives a car ?
You don't have to get personal!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I suggest you give Fragomens a call, they handled all our immigration matters and we still call them from time to time for advice. They will be handling our citizenship application......one day.....maybe.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:29 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
PS: what do we do regarding the missing I-94 and travelling out of the USA? Any ideas?
leave the stupid sod at home and he might be more careful next time.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:59 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

(sigh)

My 18 year old son has just told me that is planning to turn down the place he has UCLA (UCLA !!!) because he wants to move in with his girl...
This is why 18 year olds shouldnt be allowed to make decisions..!! What a regret to have when his tart kicks him out again in 3 months..!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:53 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Manc
leave the stupid sod at home and he might be more careful next time.
Leave him at home on his own, with no parents around

Englishmum - what is the difference between going to Canada and going anywhere else out of the US With you all being non US citizens and non greencard holders, wouldn't you still need passports to show your visa status?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

You do realise that as soon as you've got the replacements the original will miraculously reappear...sod's law.
UPDATE:

Oh yes Jerseygirl, you were spot on!

Whilst I was out with my husband on Saturday evening, our son sent us a text to say that he had found his passport. Apparently it was under a rug...?! Goodness' knows how it came to be there....husband thinks it may have been something to do with my mother who had been visiting....

Anyway, we tried to send a fax to the US Embassy's passport section, but the only fax number at the Embassy is for dire emergencies only, so it didn't seem appropriate. However, I'd FedExed the new passport application to the Embassy last Tuesday for guaranteed delivery in DC for last Wednesday 19th July at 10.30am.....and when we checked our Visa statement online it showed that the Embassy had processed the $185 fee last Thursday 20th July.

Well....I called the passport office (or whomever this third party outfit who screens all passport enquiries and the staff all seem to have Irish accents - and you're kept on hold for ages listening to bloody 'Dire Straits' at $2.10 per minute.... ) at 8.30am this morning to see if the 'stop' on the old passport (expiring in 2015) could be reversed. "Oh, no" I was informed, as a police report had been made. I said, "Well, what if I just go back to the local police station to make a report that the missing passport has now been found inside the house and then fax it to the passport office". The clerk still tried to say that as a police report had been made then we would have to wait up to four weeks for the new passport.

I then asked if I could speak with her supervisor. I was kept on hold - this time listening to some jazz music - then she said that the supervisor was on a call, but she would take my contact numbers and get someone from the Embassy to call me back later today, since the passport application was in its early stages.

Well....blow me down with a feather....the doorbell rang five minutes ago and it was the FedEx guy with an envelope. It contained the original documents I'd sent to the Embassy.....and a brand new biometric British Passport with the new 'chip' embedded in it.

Bloody quick work eh? But $200 + down the pan taking into account new photos, FedEx fee etc. My son will now have to travel with the old and new as the I-94 and visa is in the old passport....not risking sending the old one to get the corner cut off and cancelled until after the Summer, perhaps they might do it if I take it to the Consulate in NYC...?

What a relief though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.