Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

What is it with teenage boys? My 17 year old son seems to have lost his senses now that he is 'in love' with his current girlfriend and uncharacteristically for him he seems to be going through a phase of losing important documents.

A couple of weeks ago he lost his wallet containing his driving licence. His dad was going to take him to the DMV this coming Saturday - now that the DMV offices have been re-opened - to get a new one (due to the NJ State regulations the main visa holder ie. his dad - has to accompany him to the DMV).

Last night he needed some photo ID and all he had was his British passport..........now he's gone and lost it and despite re-tracing his steps it is nowhere to be found. It's also got his I-94 in it and we were hoping to go on a last minute getaway in early August.

Now he can't get a new driving licence without his passport and I-94 so he can't even take a domestic flight, but we were planning perhaps to go to Mexico or the Caribbean where he would definitely need a passport and I guess the British Embassy in DC doesn't do such a quick turnaround at this time of year. He's also doing an internship and we can't easily go down there until the first week in August and we were hoping to go away the following week

I guess I'm going to have to take him in person to the Embassy to apply for a replacement and he will also need to make a police report in the next few hours. I'm more concerned about the missing I-94.

Has anyone recently had to replace a lost/missing passport and gone to the Embassy in person? I guess they don't replace or issue new passports on the spot but instead they mail it back to you?

I've already downloaded the missing report from from the BritainUSA.org website but I know that it costs a fortune to phone them with enquiries nowadays...

I could wring my son's neck LOL!

PS: what do we do regarding the missing I-94 and travelling out of the USA? Any ideas?

Last edited by Englishmum; Jul 13th 2006 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

Originally Posted by Englishmum
What is it with teenage boys? My 17 year old son seems to have lost his senses now that he is 'in love' with his current girlfriend and uncharacteristically for him he seems to be going through a phase of losing important documents...............I could wring my son's neck LOL!
(sigh)

I know exactly how you feel.

Be grateful it is only documents he is losing. My 18 year old son has just told me that is planning to turn down the place he has UCLA (UCLA !!!) because he wants to move in with his girl...

You have my sympathy. Can I have some of yours?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

As for the rest... Missing DL - he can walk. Passport - your plan of going to the embassy is probably a good one.

I-94 - there is a form at www.uscis.gov for applying for a replacement - guess what, they'll want a fee though...

Good luck!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I really have no idea but wouldn't think you can travel back to the USA without the visa.

Try calling the consulate in NYC....I know the PP has to be obtained from DC but maybe they can tell you if you can get a 'walk in' replacement in DC.

My daughter told us a couple of months ago that she leaves her PP and GC in her car. Its been parked in downtown Toronto for the last 3 yrs.....kids I ask you. :scared:

Good luck.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You do realise that as soon as you've got the replacements the original will miraculously reappear...sod's law.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You do realise that as soon as you've got the replacements the original will miraculously reappear...sod's law.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:27 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Grrr; Son has lost his passport and I-94

Originally Posted by Elvira
(sigh)

I know exactly how you feel.

Be grateful it is only documents he is losing. My 18 year old son has just told me that is planning to turn down the place he has UCLA (UCLA !!!) because he wants to move in with his girl...

You have my sympathy. Can I have some of yours?
You can absolutely have my sympathy....

I didn't mention that my 22 year old daughter (who flew back to London last night - and no she doesn't have her brother's passport) is in the process of moving in with her boyfriend who is aged somewhere between 40 and 43... This guy had a kidney transplant last week and hasn't been able to hold down a job for years due to spending many hours each week having dialysis. Unfortunately my daughter is 'in love' with him ....I'm praying that she doesn't end up getting pregnant or married to this guy who is almost the same age as me....

Now going back to the original topic I've just remembered something else....my son's L2 visa is of course in the missing passport.....goodness' knows what I'm supposed to do about that..... No bloody overseas travel for sure now....
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:36 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You can absolutely have my sympathy....

I didn't mention that my 22 year old daughter (who flew back to London last night - and no she doesn't have her brother's passport) is in the process of moving in with her boyfriend who is aged somewhere between 40 and 43... This guy had a kidney transplant last week and hasn't been able to hold down a job for years due to spending many hours each week having dialysis. Unfortunately my daughter is 'in love' with him ....I'm praying that she doesn't end up getting pregnant or married to this guy who is almost the same age as me....

Now going back to the original topic I've just remembered something else....my son's L2 visa is of course in the missing passport.....goodness' knows what I'm supposed to do about that..... No bloody overseas travel for sure now....
Once he has his new passport, he can probably get his visa stamped at a US consulate. I am wondering whether, if he does this soon, he might not even need a new I-94, because he'd get a new one on the return trip.

Why not make an Infopass appointment and explain your situation to your local CIS guys/gals? I don't know what they are like in your neck of the woods, but our lot are very helpful. Maybe thet can come up with suggestions as to the best course of action. Just bring all your immigration paperwork and your own passport, plus a copy of his lost PP (you do have a copy I hope...).

You might also ask in the US Immigration forum - there's some prettty knowledgeable people hanging out there (though traffic can be slow).
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:37 am
Homebody

Oh - sorry to hear about your daughter... Honestly, all these hormones - what gets into them...
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OMG what with Elvira's son and your daughter...the fact that my daughter's got a Canadian boyfriend...who is a year older than her...he's at uni...his father's a prof. and mother a headmistress...seems like a walk in the park.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:39 am
Homebody

Just remembered - haven't you applied for your green cards? If the application has already gone in, he would no longer be an L2 - he'd be 'pending AOS'.

This is getting complicated!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:39 am
Homebody

OMG what with Elvira's son and your daughter...the fact that my daughter's got a Canadian boyfriend...who is a year older than her...he's at uni...his father's a prof. and mother a headmistress...seems like a walk in the park.

Right puppet, rub it in! Your day will come...
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Right puppet, rub it in! Your day will come...
No...didn't mean it like that...I'd been fretting that she'll want to stay up there.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:44 am
Homebody

No...didn't mean it like that...I'd been fretting that she'll want to stay up there.

I could think of worse fates. Canadians are fine - non?
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I could think of worse fates. Canadians are fine - non?
Yes they are very nice...but its overseas...as they say here. LOL

That was another conversation....'Your daughter is so brave going overseas to college.' 'No she's not going overseas, she's going to Canada, same land mass.' 'I couldn't cope if my daughter told me she was going to college overseas, you are so brave.' Can't remember how many times I've had that conversation.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 14th 2006 at 1:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.