Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grr Driving license renewal

Grr Driving license renewal

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grr Driving license renewal

So I went online to renew my TX DL today, as it expires at the end of this month. When I got the DL they made it valid for 6 years, for some weird reason. At the time I had an L1 visa and now have a Green Card.

As usual I cannot do anything that a normal citizen can do. According to the pop-up that appeared when I tried to renew, I have to go in person to show proof of my legal status. This is at odds with the TX DPS' own website that states that citizens and LPR's do not need to show proof of status, but in the usual twisted logic, I guess you need to show that proof in order for the DPS to believe you don't need to show proof....

Apparently it's all part of an Oct '08 law that denies DL's to illegals, but I guess we are all suspect. It is amazing that here we are in 2009 and there is no easy way for the TX DPS to verify your status with BCIS system, and I have to go an stand in line.

Thanks for listening to the rant!

- Tim

PS Still trying to get conclusive evidence one way or the other on whether I will get a new vertical card stamped with the words visitor and preparing me for special attention from whoever may so desire.

Last edited by TimFountain; Jan 3rd 2009 at 2:06 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grr Driving license renewal

I had that Tim ..just had too show my GC ..got a full proper licence
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds about right Tim. When I moved to SC from NC, I changed my DL and because I was going through the I-751 process back then, they had to verify my status by mail which took about 2 weeks, temporary paper DL issued in the meantime. Even once verified, they would only issue the DL for 1yr. Once I got the 10yr GC, they would only give me a 5yr DL whereas USC's can get a 10yr DL. A sign of the times. Kinda funny to think when I got my first DL in FL in 1997, all you needed to show was 2 forms of photo ID and that was it!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I read about the law change...pain in the ar*e. Have to go and get the address on mine changed...ah well..sure it will be an absolute joy!! Oh and just as a "funny" aside my OH got pulled over near San Antonio yesterday for failing to indicate enough times while changing lanes...apparently the PO only saw the indicator flash 3 times and in his opinion that wasn't enough (FFS!!!) just a written warning though
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:02 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain

Apparently it's all part of an Oct '08 law that denies DL's to illegals, but I guess we are all suspect. It is amazing that here we are in 2009 and there is no easy way for the TX DPS to verify your status with BCIS system, and I have to go an stand in line.

Thanks for listening to the rant!

- Tim

PS Still trying to get conclusive evidence one way or the other on whether I will get a new vertical card stamped with the words visitor and preparing me for special attention from whoever may so desire.
I know my TX driving record shows me as non-citizen. My latest traffic ticket has a Y/N box on it for citizen or not. I need to get down to the DPS with my new US passport and get that changed. Don't want to get stuck with one of those sideways licences like you are going to get.

Out of interest, I got my licence in 2004 and it was valid just over 6 years. It expires on my 55th birthday.

Last edited by g1ant; Jan 3rd 2009 at 7:05 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

At the time I had an L1 visa and now have a Green Card.

This is at odds with the TX DPS' own website that states that citizens and LPR's do not need to show proof of status
Last time, you had an L1 visa. DMV does not know that now you have a GC. They say LPR's do not need to show proof of status, but they don't know you're an LPR yet. To them, you're still an L1.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update, I got the renewed DL yesterday and it wasn't one of the "visitor" ones, good for another 6 years...

- Tim
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update, I got the renewed DL yesterday and it wasn't one of the "visitor" ones, good for another 6 years...

- Tim
How long was the wait? I was going to say, if you make an appt. online, at least here in CA, the wait should be only a few mins. I was in and out in 10 mins last year for a renewal.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

2 1/2 weeks all told. But there was a holiday in there (MLK day). TX is pretty backward when it comes to this kind of thing.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

2 1/2 weeks all told. But there was a holiday in there (MLK day). TX is pretty backward when it comes to this kind of thing.
I meant, at the DMV
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I meant, at the DMV
Ah, I see. About 15 minutes at the Lamar Blvd location.