Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Growing old in the US of A

Growing old in the US of A

Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing old in the US of A

Originally Posted by Boiler
Legal or illegal?

The number of those likely to be in the higher tax brackets is small, most is poor often with families, a net drain.
Most studies inidcate that legal immigration is a strong positive for the US economy, particularly in the long term. It's also incorrect to say that most immigrants are poor with families.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Taffyles;4526075]
Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There are many reasons elderly people work, the major one of which in the US is the abysmally low savings rate in general. With the demise of defined benefit pension plans, this is only going to become more pronounced over the next couple of decades. Otoh, is it really bad that older people need to remain in the labour force? [end quote]

Yes I think it is bad that many HAVE to work to pay for their prescriptions etc. Many have had to sell their houses and live in mobile homes to get by - talk to some of them. One old gent I was talking to at the checkout is a retired college professor- who 20 years into retirement can no longer live on his pensions etc, so he's bagging groceries. How much do you have to save to fund 25+ years of comfortable retirement in this country???
Too many variables.

In the millions.

I was talking to someone who had been in hospital for 10 days - $400,000 bill.

Most was covered by his insurance, he had a cap on his contribution, but if he had not been so fortunate...
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

Most studies inidcate that legal immigration is a strong positive for the US economy, particularly in the long term. It's also incorrect to say that most immigrants are poor with families.
I did not say most, but I do go to San Francisco occasionally, and I know its no different there to most other places. Just check out Home Depot one morning.

I am sure you can find reports from those supporting that view, I can also guarantee they have an agenda.

So why are are not all countries opening their arms if its such a positive?

I will give you that with a deficit of $2 Billion a day, the US economy needs workers to do jobs Americans will not do to keep a cap on the otherwise inevitable inflation. Not a very positive reason and of course it will bring long term consequences.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Too many variables.

In the millions.

I was talking to someone who had been in hospital for 10 days - $400,000 bill.

Most was covered by his insurance, he had a cap on his contribution, but if he had not been so fortunate...
If you are talking about a Medicare recipient then almost all of this would most likely be covered by parts A and B.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 16th 2007 at 8:03 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did not say most, but I do go to San Francisco occasionally, and I know its no different there to most other places. Just check out Home Depot one morning.
About as useful an argument as my claiming that immigrants are wealthy 'cos those in my industry - high tech - are...

I am sure you can find reports from those supporting that view, I can also guarantee they have an agenda.

So why are are not all countries opening their arms if its such a positive?
Many countries have chosen to put homogeneity of their societies ove rthe economic benefits of legal immigration.

I will give you that with a deficit of $2 Billion a day, the US economy needs workers to do jobs Americans will not do to keep a cap on the otherwise inevitable inflation. Not a very positive reason and of course it will bring long term consequences.
Some odd non-sequiteurs in that comment, especially as immigrants also add to the demand side of the equation.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

If you are talking about a Medicare recipient then almost all of this would most likely be covered by parts A and B.
My guess is that he was in his late 50's, I thought he was retired, but thinking back that was probably not the case.

Covered now maybe, covered later, who knows.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

About as useful an argument as my claiming that immigrants are wealthy 'cos those in my industry - high tech - are...

Many countries have chosen to put homogeneity of their societies over the economic benefits of legal immigration.

Some odd non-sequiteurs in that comment, especially as immigrants also add to the demand side of the equation.
Its a numbers game, H and L's etc are a small percentage of the equation.

Trying to think of which First World countries have been able to maintain homogeneity.

I have not been here long enough to have personal knowledge, all I can go on is that USC's I know who are lower down the feeding order tell me that wages for them have not increased by very much if at all, and statistics I have seen support this. If there was such a demand for guest workers you wonder why this labour shortage has not been reflected in increased wages.

Actually I have heard a similar comment from those in IT of more recent date, but that seems more an outsourcing issue than the H and L's.