Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Growing old in the US of A

Growing old in the US of A

Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Growing old in the US of A

Originally Posted by Bob
have to be a USC to claim it abroad I think.
I think there are some treaties out there whereby you can draw if you are not a USC. Portugal I think is one of them, if I recall correctly.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We came over here with older children and I imagine they will make their lives here. I dread not being able to afford to stay in the same country as them. I know they could move anywhere in the world and I can't follow them constantly, nor would I want to. But I don't want to end up being forced away from the states because we can't afford health care here.Sadly,that is what will happen I think.
Because we are older I don't think we will have time to build up a good retirement fund here.
That's one of the reasons so many go back to the Uk when their kids hit their teens.

Thing over here too is that often families live so far away from one another, they see each other only once a year as it is - I mean, if one of your kids decides to move to California, she'll be as far away from you as you are from the UK.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
have to be a USC to claim it abroad I think.
Didn't we go over this a while back, and the conclusion was that, as long as one has enough contributions, non-USCs CAN claim their SS pension from abroad?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Didn't we go over this a while back, and the conclusion was that, as long as one has enough contributions, non-USCs CAN claim their SS pension from abroad?
probably over 10 years worth, or just combined it to bump UK NIC.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap

Thing over here too is that often families live so far away from one another, they see each other only once a year as it is - I mean, if one of your kids decides to move to California, she'll be as far away from you as you are from the UK.
I was going to reply to jumping doris that the kids staying here would be the main thing to keep me here in retirement, but now you've said that, yes that's true too. Heartbreaking to think about & I appreciate how my mum feels at me moving here.

I'm not sure what I'll do - it's long time til retirement for me yet. Anything could happen in that time. Plan is: work hard, get rich & have a home in both places (in my dreams).
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Celsius
Maybe this might deter people from living their golden years in the US:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/14/mug....ap/index.html

... but then again, it could happen anywhere really.

Yes - I just read this from BBC Headline news "Vicar stabbed to death in Churchyard"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6451681.stm
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
I was going to reply to jumping doris that the kids staying here would be the main thing to keep me here in retirement, but now you've said that, yes that's true too. Heartbreaking to think about & I appreciate how my mum feels at me moving here.

I'm not sure what I'll do - it's long time til retirement for me yet. Anything could happen in that time. Plan is: work hard, get rich & have a home in both places (in my dreams).
FWIW, I do have hopes for the health care system. I might be dreaming, but the system in PA has recently widened it's policy for healthcare for kids so that any income bracket can get low cost coverage for medical, dental & vision. Even if you earn 150k, you can discounted coverage for the kids. Under about 46k, it's free.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Yes - I just read this from BBC Headline news "Vicar stabbed to death in Churchyard"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6451681.stm
Disgusting!

My mum said guns are starting to get pretty out of control over there too.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

FWIW, I do have hopes for the health care system. I might be dreaming, but the system in PA has recently widened it's policy for healthcare for kids so that any income bracket can get low cost coverage for medical, dental & vision. Even if you earn 150k, you can discounted coverage for the kids. Under about 46k, it's free.
45 million people more or less without h/care plus the tens of millions of people with inadequate care - something has to be done.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:10 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who thinks they are too young to think of this yet? I might like it here so say yes I want to retire here but in 30 yrs time circumstances might change either personally or healthcare etc.

I want to be happy and at this stage of my life can only think of the next couple of years, if and when we become unhappy here we will try and move back.

But I can't think too far ahead as in 30 yrs I will think differently (just as I do now to 15 yrs ago). We plan for tomorrow but live for today.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:21 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of the reasons so many go back to the Uk when their kids hit their teens.

Yes I know but at least we will be on the same continent.
I had a friend in the UK whose daughter lived over here and as my friend got older she became less able, physically and financially, to just hop on a plane. She knew that one day she wouldn't be able to come over anymore.

I may not be able to trek across the US having said that. Well they'll all have to saty in Pittsburgh
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

45 million people more or less without h/care plus the tens of millions of people with inadequate care - something has to be done.
I agree completely. A limit on drug company gouging (just like the laws in Europe) would be a start to that too! Of course, they would say that's anti-capitalism but in UK they cap the profits, based on it being unethical to profit too much on people's health - any profit over a certain % has to go back into R&D.

Doris, I'm building a house behind our house and my kids are staying there forever.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is there anywhere on the forum with info about getting healthcare? I've had a look in the wiki and couldn't see anything. I know many states are doing healthcare for kids now, so it would be good info to share if it's not already listed.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anywhere on the forum with info about getting healthcare? I've had a look in the wiki and couldn't see anything. I know many states are doing healthcare for kids now, so it would be good info to share if it's not already listed.
Illinois has a plan for everyone (not just kids) who has a problem getting healthcare (perm. residents and citizens). Think it's call CHIP or something like that.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's good. It's called CHIP here too & FAMIS in Virginia. The VA program was limited to low income families though but still better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.