Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Growing old in the US of A

Growing old in the US of A

Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing old in the US of A

Originally Posted by Leeds_Lass
I don't have to come to Florida to see that, half the women working at my local Wal-Mart must be over 70. Which frightens me btw. Not the old women but the working at 70 part. But the way the state pension in the UK is going, would I be better off retiring in the UK? There will be no state pension left when my age group (early 30's) retires, so you'd have to get a bloody good private pension organised anway. Plus, it's not like people in England have it easy if they retire at 65 anyway, my mum's a pensioner and she's not exactly living the life of luxury and taking weekend trips to gay Paris. She's on state pension, no private.

I think that although the UK may have the benefit of the NHS with regards to healthcare, do pensioners still have it rough if you don't go the private pension route? It's a similar situation to in the US, if you don't make the right plans, you're going to struggle.
I think a lot of today's pensioners are in a bit of a bind because they thought they would be able to rely on the state pension ALONE. No one with any sense would make that mistake today.

And that is no different in the US.

Though many UK pensioners are able to release equity from their PPR, i.e. downsize to a smaller property.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:12 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I believe there is nothing to stop one drawing US social security/pension whilst living in the UK.
Her question was "about growing old in the US."

Concerning the NHS. My mum had cataracts in both eyes. Before they got around to doing intraocular implants she went legally blind, and couldn't leave the house, without someone coming to get her. She couldn't go on the bus. She had books on tape from the library. They did one eye at a time. She finally got her sight back after 2 years of not being able to see.

She had arthritis most of her life, and was to have a hip replacement. she waited 3 years for the op. by the time she sat around with her eyes, and then laid up with a walking stick and walker with her hip, she became very weak. her hip deteriorated to where one leg was 2 inches shorter than the other. after she had the op for her hip, her heart went into an irregular rhythm. she was in an orthopedic hospital, and this happened in the middle of the night. they didn't get the equipment to her fast enough to regulate her heart, and she died about 24 hours after the op, at age 79.

It's no good if your dead. I'd rather stick with Medicare myself.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Elvira, I was using that more or less as a figure of speech.

Healthcare for the elderly is painted in very doom and gloom light here. I am only just learning about this and trying to see through the gloom as my future, more importantly, my retirement is something that is very important to me. I want to know what my options are, so that I can plan ahead.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
It is not unusual for elderly folks to be on 15+ prescriptions (arthritis, diabetes, blood pressure and heart meds, osteoporosis etc). Even if they WERE all generic and required only a $10-15 co-pay, this soon adds up. This is something that British pensioners don't even have to think about.

Okay, so they may have to wait 6-12 months for a hip replacement, but how many hip replacements does the average person need in a lifetime? And most people who have worked all their lives could plan for having this done privately if they don't want to wait.
I agree. The healthcare system was a big shocker to me when I came. I'd always believed it was fantastic. ha!

Lynne, your OH is probably right if you have a great retirement plan (I don't yet). But even good healthcare policies when you're young aren't always great though. As an example, we thought we had a great policy a few years ago when suddenly the ins co stopped paying my son's meds. They were $350 a month. I guess the deal they had with the drug company came to an end or whatever. That was a lot of money to suddenly have to come up with!

My point is, even good policies and good planning can leave you short & in financial worry.

I remember back home people complaining that patients had to save hundreds of thousands of pounds to come to America to have breakthrough surgery not available in UK & we all thought that our system was crap because of it. Well over here, often people cannot have that breakthrough surgery either unless they raise the same money. I've seen enough parents holding fundraisers to pay for their kids chemotherapy to know I'd rather be in a cruddy NHS waiting room if I get real sick!

(sorry went OT but healthcare is my biggest peeve!)
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Healthcare is a big one, but one other I've noticed is travel, or the lack thereof.

My mother-in-law is here living with us and she probably has one or two trips back home left in her before she decides 'no more.' A few friends I know with elderly (>80) folks have reported they'll be in one place pretty much from now on. They simply can no longer travel.

When you are a bit younger, popping over to the UK is not that big of a deal. You can do it a few times a year if you really miss it, but for those very very old, they have to come to grips with the fact they will never see 'home' again.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We do have a good retirement plan Danfan and when we retire, if we keep working and paying into it, we'll be looking at a comfortable retirement.

You are right though, it's all a gamble. You can be fine one day and the next you might be sick or in a bad accident and needing many $$'s worth of treatment.

It scares me to think I will have to gamble my future on my health staying well enough in a country where it could cost me my retirement to get better.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

Concerning the NHS. My mum had cataracts in both eyes. Before they got around to doing intraocular implants she went legally blind, and couldn't leave the house, without someone coming to get her. She couldn't go on the bus. She had books on tape from the library. They did one eye at a time. She finally got her sight back after 2 years of not being able to see.

She had arthritis most of her life, and was to have a hip replacement. she waited 3 years for the op. by the time she sat around with her eyes, and then laid up with a walking stick and walker with her hip, she became very weak. her hip deteriorated to where one leg was 2 inches shorter than the other. after she had the op for her hip, her heart went into an irregular rhythm. she was in an orthopedic hospital, and this happened in the middle of the night. they didn't get the equipment to her fast enough to regulate her heart, and she died about 24 hours after the op, at age 79.

I'm sorry to read about your mum.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

I'm fed up now thinking about all this .

Which muppet started this thread anyway?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Mine too! You see it front and center when you live in god's waiting room down here.......there are entire groceries stores in some towns that are entirely manned by 75+ year olds. It is very sad.
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If anybody has access to the last AARP Magazine, there was a long piece about this.

It was concentrating on the 'gap' for those in their 50's and 60' who lost Company cover but were too young for State cover.

Quite frightening.

Best bet is to stay healthy.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL Lynne

Oh another reason - when you're too old to drive, there's hardly any bloody public transport unless you're in a major city.

You know, I am saying all this but I'll probably never be able to afford to live in UK again & I'll be here forever.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

I'm very sorry for what happened to your mum. However, I believe that ANY health care system will fail SOME patients at some point in time.

However, most physicians and others in the US healthcare field will tell you that the US system is not sustainable. It fails a SIGNIFICANT minority of patients now, and this is only going to get worse.

The UK system can be improved through comparatively minor re-structuring and investment. The US system requires a complete overhall, or it will collapse within 10-20 years. But, at the present time, there is not the political will to grasp this particular nettle, which is why I would rather take my chances with the NHS.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Very well put.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:36 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
LOL Lynne

Oh another reason - when you're too old to drive, there's hardly any bloody public transport unless you're in a major city.

You know, I am saying all this but I'll probably never be able to afford to live in UK again & I'll be here forever.
I thought you were never too old to drive in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.