British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Groundhog Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/groundhog-day-281619/)

ghallett Feb 2nd 2005 11:38 am

Groundhog Day

News just in from Gobblers Knob, PA.
Punxsutawney Phil has seen his own shadow, meaning that winter is to last another 6 weeks.
What a crock!

Englishmum Feb 2nd 2005 11:56 am

Re: Groundhog Day

Originally Posted by ghallett
Punxsutawney Phil has seen his own shadow, meaning that winter is to last another 6 weeks.
What a crock!

I nearly spat my tea out onto my laptop when I saw 'Gobblers Knob' LOL!

We have a groundhog living under our garden shed. He's a sweet (and fat) creature.......really shy. He wanders around the garden eating grass, but as soon as I open the kitchen door he scuttles away as fast as his legs will carry him to the safety of the hole he's dug for himself under the shed.

He must still be in hibernation....we still have about a foot of snow on the ground and we just have a few tracks on it from the squirrels...I did feel sorry for Punxsutawney Phil being held up in front of the crowds and media this morning (it was live on NBC)...he should still be hibernating... :(

BrandonBrit Feb 2nd 2005 12:51 pm

Oh yes, Groundhog day already... they don't seem to advertise it as much out here like on the east coast. Poor Phil... he probably does still want to be hiding.

We saw loads of groundhogs while living in NJ. They are lovely creatures to watch... look so soft and cuddly, but apparently I've been told that they're VERY smelly and can be quite mean :(

I tried taking pics of them, but everytime I got the camera out, they'd scuttle off and hide. That's one thing I do miss about NJ... seeing the groundhogs from Spring to Autumn... Don't miss the deer tho, they cost a fortune in repairs to ones car! :scared:

Celtic_Angel Feb 2nd 2005 1:12 pm

What a crock!

actually i remember watching something that gave scientific base to the whole shadow thing....alignment of sun to earth....determines length of winter etc...was vurra interestin' ;) :D

erkydooks Feb 2nd 2005 1:32 pm

Apparently there were 17000 americans at Gobblers knob trying to get a glimpse. I wonder if everyone of em saw it. Such a sweet custom.

NC Penguin Feb 2nd 2005 1:43 pm

What a crock!

For those in OH, this probably means winter will last another 6 months!! :D

anotherlimey Feb 2nd 2005 1:45 pm

I didn't know what Groundhog day was until I looked it up.

-tom

AdobePinon Feb 2nd 2005 2:48 pm

You don't need the groundhog when your local ski hill has 17 inches of fresh powder. Why am I at work? :mad:

nun Feb 2nd 2005 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I didn't know what Groundhog day was until I looked it up.

-tom

I feel sorry for the reporters who have to cover this farce after the movie "Groundhog Day". All I could think of when I saw the poor reporter sap this morning was that he must be cursing Bill Murray

clydegirl Feb 2nd 2005 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by nun
I feel sorry for the reporters who have to cover this farce after the movie "Groundhog Day". All I could think of when I saw the poor reporter sap this morning was that he must be cursing Bill Murray

Love the movie Bill Murray one of my favourites.

Manc Feb 2nd 2005 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
actually i remember watching something that gave scientific base to the whole shadow thing....alignment of sun to earth....determines length of winter etc...was vurra interestin' ;) :D

I watched that too. But I prefered the one where Bill Murray keeps waking up on the same day.

willmore Feb 2nd 2005 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
I watched that too. But I prefered the one where Bill Murray keeps waking up on the same day.

Hate to disagree with such a knowledgeable groundhog, but my tulip and daffodils have poked their little heads through the soil......so spring is definitely on the way......

NC Penguin Feb 2nd 2005 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
Hate to disagree with such a knowledgeable groundhog, but my tulip and daffodils have poked their little heads through the soil......so spring is definately on the way......

What's going on in your yard doesn't count! You live in Canada! :D

NC Penguin

anotherlimey Feb 2nd 2005 6:30 pm

I just spoke to a friend in NY and she said one of their Groundhogs has gone missing. Oh no, surely that means the next ice age is on it's way.

-tom

willmore Feb 2nd 2005 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What's going on in your yard doesn't count! You live in Canada! :D

NC Penguin

Hey, Canadians are people too and we're known to live in the frozen northland...... :p