Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grocery Shopping

Grocery Shopping

Old Jun 18th 2004, 5:24 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

While we were living in US last year the only thing I missed was Bisto Gravy Granules!!!

My younger daughter (only 3 when we went there) missed english sausages.

Apart from that - nothing!

Now we're living in Spain we all miss waffles & corn syrup (american) and a good curry. (is that english?)

I tried Cadburys choccie while stateside but it was disgusting - not like the real thing - afraid I really disliked all american chocolate. So much so that I lost a fair bit of weight.

Most of us learn very quickly that if you buy what the locals buy you save lots of money.

We have 2 small english supermarkets where I live - I've seen people buy very little and spend a lot in them. Silly thing is most of what you can buy there you can get in the spanish supermarkets too - even familiar brands - and cheaper!
I can even get Bisto Gravy Granules!

My younger daughter now prefers spanish sausages to english ones, (she never did like the american version) and I got used to not eating choccie while stateside, so the weight is (sort of ) staying off!

oh - and Pataks curry pastes almost make up for the lack of a good Indian Restaurant!
Old Jun 18th 2004, 5:41 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default tater chips/crisps

For crisps/chips in the US, I highly reccomend Herr'sHerr's , but even better if you ask me are Utz's . Both have flavours like Old Bay, salt and pepper, barbe que and Herr;s has ketchup and also cheddar and onion, I believe.
For "gourmet", there are numerous varieties like Kettle Chips (also seen in the UK) and Olive Oil potato chips , but one of the most unique flavours available in the US is in Louisiana- Zapp's crawfish flavor

Get used to shopping in the Mexican bodegas, Farmer's markets, Asian groceries, Whole Foods/Wild Oats and trader joe's (if you have them) and supplimenting those supplies with what you get at a run of the mill supermarket. Leads to greater variety, less food boredom and less chance you'll miss Uk foods (as much).
Old Jun 18th 2004, 7:02 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by xabiachica

Most of us learn very quickly that if you buy what the locals buy you save lots of money.

We have 2 small english supermarkets where I live - I've seen people buy very little and spend a lot in them. Silly thing is most of what you can buy there you can get in the spanish supermarkets too - even familiar brands - and cheaper!
I can even get Bisto Gravy Granules!

My younger daughter now prefers spanish sausages to english ones, (she never did like the american version) and I got used to not eating choccie while stateside, so the weight is (sort of ) staying off!
Now here you are in the land of the best food in the world IMO, with all the things my wife and I miss- fantastic fresh prodduce, white asparagus, chorizo and longaniza, manchego cheese, great wine, serrano ham and spanish turron candy...mmmmm

Watch out that your kids don't turn into little Valencianos!!
Old Jun 19th 2004, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it that all the veg in the supermarkets taste so bad? Even the potatoes are gross, I can barely eat them and in the UK I love potatoes. Most veg here in Florida seem old and all dried up, mostly the potatoes on sale are half green!!!
I can't imagine why it is so bad, maybe it is just around this area.
Sue
Old Jun 19th 2004, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Default Re: Grocery Shopping

Originally posted by Lesley1020
If you can get it you should try "Laffy Taffy" - its little chews and they come in lots of different flavours and they are really good!
Here's a good one - Laffy Taffy Flavor Flippers. Laffy taffy with a different flavour middle. Am working a night shift and bought them here to nibble on!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2004, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally posted by xabiachica
While we were living in US last year the only thing I missed was Bisto Gravy Granules!!!
Aaaaaah... brings back such fond memories....!!! Not so much the taste (athough there's nothing better than Bisto!).... but more the last time my best friend visited from the UK I asked her to bring me a pot of gravy granules. Unfortunately it exploded in her luggage and everything she had was gravy smelling! Another memory of Bisto was when I brought them through immigration in Philly one time... decided to do the decent thing and declare them because they were beef flavoured. I spent the best part of 10 minutes searching through the ingredients with the immigration man trying to find any evidence of beef in them!!!!!!! Last thing I knew... they were BEEF gravy granules!!! Ah well.... had a chuckle with the immigration man anyway.... lol.