Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grocery prices

Grocery prices

Old Nov 6th 2019, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Peter.st.giles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grocery prices

I’ve noticed the cost of foods has became so much more expensive here in the US than UK. On a recent trip back to London, even waitrose prices are slightly cheaper than Walmart in LA, not to mention Tesco, ASDA, sainsburys and Morrison are roughly 20-30% cheaper on fresh produce such meat, milk, eggs, bread, cheese and fruit & veg than stater bros, ralphs or Albertsons. And for quality of food UK wins hands down, but it hasn’t always been the case, back in early 2000s it was the other way around, grocery was more expensive in Britain than America. I wonder why is it like that...
Old Nov 6th 2019, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Grocery prices

Originally Posted by Peter.st.giles
I’ve noticed the cost of foods has became so much more expensive here in the US than UK. On a recent trip back to London, even waitrose prices are slightly cheaper than Walmart in LA, not to mention Tesco, ASDA, sainsburys and Morrison are roughly 20-30% cheaper on fresh produce such meat, milk, eggs, bread, cheese and fruit & veg than stater bros, ralphs or Albertsons. And for quality of food UK wins hands down, but it hasn’t always been the case, back in early 2000s it was the other way around, grocery was more expensive in Britain than America. I wonder why is it like that...
Yeah i noticed that too during recent visits to the US. I wonder why that’s the case because US has plenty of agricultural land and GM crops etc

is it just lack of price regulation and greedy corporates?
Old Nov 6th 2019, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wh431

Yeah i noticed that too during recent visits to the US. I wonder why that’s the case because US has plenty of agricultural land and GM crops etc

is it just lack of price regulation and greedy corporates?
https://www.thebalance.com/why-are-f...lation-3306099
Old Nov 6th 2019, 8:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If you think the prices in the US are high, you should see some of the prices we pay in Canada for basically the same products.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If you think the prices in the US are high, you should see some of the prices we pay in Canada for basically the same products.
i was actually comparing them with my local Morrisons
Thanks to Brexit uncertainty the food prices have gone up in England too. “Small” shopping trips to Supermarket are often 50£ onwards.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wh431

i was actually comparing them with my local Morrisons
Thanks to Brexit uncertainty the food prices have gone up in England too. “Small” shopping trips to Supermarket are often 50£ onwards.
Comparing costs on different Continents won't work. It's a complete different market/economy and everything from salaries, tax, social security & housing costs will be different.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter.st.giles
Here I thought you have unknown news to report Unfortunately, European countries offer far superior fresh foods and cheeses to the US. They always have and always will.

Anyone who shops in Walmart deserves the crappy fruit and veggies they offer for sale.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Here I thought you have unknown news to report Unfortunately, European countries offer far superior fresh foods and cheeses to the US. They always have and always will.

Anyone who shops in Walmart deserves the crappy fruit and veggies they offer for sale.
Have you been to Walmart recently? Ours has significantly improved for fruit and veggies, not that I go there often. I prefer the better value at Aldis.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that surprised me most here, and it shouldn't I guess, due to the scale, is the amount of fruit and veg that is in shops right on the edge of still being labeled as "Fresh". Many items barely make it the trip home, let alone last a few days, and yet Bread can survive a nuclear attack. I also struggle to get good quality chicken (or even the local unicorn for me of it being free range).
Old Nov 6th 2019, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Really? I'm currently in Quebec and I cannot believe how cheap everything is (compared to California).
Old Nov 6th 2019, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

BC tends to have higher prices vs across the border, especially milk, cheese, eggs, butter which are big items people cross over to stock up on, even with the relatively poor exchange rate, many items are still cheaper across the border. The Bellingham, WA Costco gets to many Canadian's looking in their parking lot you would almost think you were in BC still. lol Oh and gas, many along the border cross over for gas too.

Some also go over for selection, way better selection in US grocery stores vs BC grocery stores, with many brands not available in BC, Tillamook is a popular cheese BC residents buy on the US side, no grocery store cheese comparable to it in BC, you can niche and speciality cheeses but talking about mainstream grocery store brands like Armstrong, Kraft, Western Family, Crackle Barrel and such.

Many things in Quebec seem cheaper vs rest of Canada, Quebec seems to be a unique place compared to rest of Canada when it comes to prices, and even housing, Montreal for a large city has pretty low rent compared to say pretty much anywhere in BC...lol

Originally Posted by sherbert
Really? I'm currently in Quebec and I cannot believe how cheap everything is (compared to California).
Old Nov 6th 2019, 8:21 pm
Banned

hrowen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Have you been to Walmart recently? Ours has significantly improved for fruit and veggies, not that I go there often. I prefer the better value at Aldis.
Lot of walmarts I know dont even have a veg section!
Old Nov 7th 2019, 2:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
yesterday. Still scrap
Old Nov 7th 2019, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I noticed that too, I am in southern California. I thought California is the main supply of fresh veg and fruits for USA, so the price must be competitive - I was wrong.
Fresh veg and fruits cost more than UK for sure, milk and meat vary. I went to Wholefood Market - everything in there is so expensive. But I have found the local Asian supermarket has very good deals on vegetables.

I really miss Tesco and Waitrose - good choice of food ( not just from UK, also Europe, Asia) and reasonable prices. I must say I was a bit shocked the first week in US. Now I am slowly getting used to it...

On top of grocery, I found household items are also more expensive here. Target and Walmart are both more expensive than UK supermarkets.

Yes the old belief - 'things in US is so cheap' is really dated now. I must say the only thing cheap here is gasoline.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Peter.st.giles is an unknown quantity at this point

Is gasoline still cheaper though? Maybe in some gas stations like Costco or Arco
it costs me closer to $50 for a full tank and I drive a 4 years old Prius

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.