British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The Griswold do "Walley World"!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/griswold-do-walley-world-868491/)

leejo Nov 26th 2015 10:32 am

The Griswold do "Walley World"!!

Hoping to book our flights in January forAugust departure. The children are wanting to visit Disney.Container is going to take 8 to 12 weeksso the longer it takes for us to arrive in Oz the better.
The rough plan is Manchester to Orlando, Orlando to San Francisco/LA, LA/SanFrancisco to Brisbane/Cairns.
I have found Manchester to Orlando for £350pp. But have no idea best andcheapest route east to west of States. Can anyone help?
Also which is best to exit from LA or San Francisco?
Cairns is final destination but don't mind buying a car in Brissie and doingthe Eastcoast.

Beaverstate Nov 26th 2015 10:48 am

Re: The Griswold do "Walley World"!!

Originally Posted by leejo (Post 11802938)
Hoping to book our flights in January forAugust departure. The children are wanting to visit Disney.Container is going to take 8 to 12 weeksso the longer it takes for us to arrive in Oz the better.
The rough plan is Manchester to Orlando, Orlando to San Francisco/LA, LA/SanFrancisco to Brisbane/Cairns.
I have found Manchester to Orlando for £350pp. But have no idea best andcheapest route east to west of States. Can anyone help?
Also which is best to exit from LA or San Francisco?
Cairns is final destination but don't mind buying a car in Brissie and doingthe Eastcoast.

Well you are lucky (I suppose) to land in both Orlando and Los Angeles. This way you can visit both Disney World in Orlando, and Disneyland near Los Angeles.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2015 11:50 am

Check expedia, kayak, priceline and then compare those sites to the airlines sites. Hit or miss which might be cheaper, I always find the airlines websites are cheapest but next person may find the opposite.

With the exception of Southwest, all the other airlines should show up on the 3rd party booking sites. For Southwest have to book on their website.

I would avoid Frontier and Spirit and Allegiant however, they offer pretty poor service, low fares but lots of fees that end up making them no value if you travel with luggage.

San Francisco is a hub for United and Virgin America but Virgin is pretty small so may not offer much.

LAX is not really a single airlines hub, American, Delta, United, Southwest all have pretty large operations there.

leejo Nov 26th 2015 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 11802944)
Well you are lucky (I suppose) to land in both Orlando and Los Angeles. This way you can visit both Disney World in Orlando, and Disneyland near Los Angeles.

One Disney is enough - Orlando.
In California hoping to visit Yosemite then over to Grand Canyon. Doing a circuit LA - Grand Canyon - SF.

leejo Nov 27th 2015 9:36 am

Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like it will be thefollowing:-
Manchester to Orlando – Thompson (£359)
Orlando to San Francisco - Frontier and Spirit and Allegiant (US$130)
LA to Brisbane - ???

Pulaski Nov 27th 2015 12:51 pm

Flights are usually cheaper when booked less than 90 days ahead of travel.

Allegiant is a bargain basement charter airline, with very few flights, so if you miss a flight or there is a problem with the plane you will likely miss any connecting flight.

leejo Nov 27th 2015 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11803541)
Flights are usually cheaper when booked less than 90 days ahead of travel. Allegiant is a bargain basement charter airline, with very few flights, so if you miss a flight or there is a problem with the plane you will likely miss any connecting flight.

Hoping to have a week gap between flight. So Allegiant would suit.
Are they the cheapest?

Pulaski Nov 27th 2015 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by leejo (Post 11803579)
Hoping to have a week gap between flight. So Allegiant would suit.
Are they the cheapest?

Based on the age of their aircraft they should be! :lol:

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2015 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11803541)
Flights are usually cheaper when booked less than 90 days ahead of travel.

Allegiant is a bargain basement charter airline, with very few flights, so if you miss a flight or there is a problem with the plane you will likely miss any connecting flight.

Allegiant isn't technically a charter airline. They do have limited service, but they are classified as a schedule airline since they operate set schedules, they just have limited schedules.

Avoid Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit whenever possible, they have more fees then one can ever imagine. I think all 3 now charge for carry on bags and checked, so unless you travel with nothing, your facing fees on top of the airfare.

Example: Spirit last year was 35 from Vegas to San Diego, Southwest was 79 and some change. By the time all the fees Spirit wanted were calculated, their total was 109 and some change.

All 3 of them offer poor service and suck, not worth it to me.

On the west coast I have rarely seen flights cheaper less then 90 days, but we have far less competition out this way, so might make a difference.

Look at the route I fly the most, cheapest fare in mid January after all the holidays is 90 more then flying in April.

I just have never found airfare cheaper less then 90 days out, usually sky rockets about then, but everyone has different experiences, I just wouldn't expect fares to be lower less then 90 days out.

Pulaski Nov 27th 2015 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11803766)
Allegiant isn't technically a charter airline. They do have limited service, but they are classified as a schedule airline since they operate set schedules, they just have limited schedules. ......

Yes, you are correct. :o ..... But their focus appears to be largely tourist/ vacation traffic. They started a route recently from NC to Orlando, but the service flies from an airport that has never had a scheduled service before, and only flies the route three days a week.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2015 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11803779)
Yes, you are correct. :o ..... But their focus appears to be largely tourist/ vacation traffic. They started a route recently from NC to Orlando, but the service flies from an airport that has never had a scheduled service before, and only flies the route three days a week.

3 days a week is happening...lol...That is the downside with them, um your flight has been cancelled, next one is in 3 days, but it's full so your screwed.

I flew them once out of curiosity when they first started in Bellingham and offered flights 2 times a week to San Diego for $39, back in 2008 they hadn't started to charge quite so many fees, so with checked bag, it was around $65.

Spent about $12 inflight on some soda, and a snack box thing.

Wasn't horrible, but the plane smelled funny, but being an MD-80 there is the side with no middle seat which was a plus, leg room at the time was about the same as anyone else.

Wouldn't fly them now, too many issues as of late that is concerning.