Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Greetings from New Zealand.

Wikiposts

Greetings from New Zealand.

Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default Greetings from New Zealand.

Kia ora from NZ , I want to thank the people
involved in the flag and the HOA threads, I am still wiping the
tears of laughter away. Oh, for any Americans moving to NZ, the Stars and stripes is flown under the NZ flag, children get to swear allegiance to Her Majesty each morning at school assembly.

Some of those threads on health insurance in the USA
are disconcerting.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from New Zealand.

Originally Posted by tehori
tears of laughter away. Oh, for any Americans moving to NZ, the Stars and stripes is flown under the NZ flag, children get to swear allegiance to Her Majesty each morning at school assembly.

are disconcerting.
Welcome ..glad you enjoyed
Dont forget to checkout the lounge and TIO for more rants
about everything possible ..
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:59 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

are disconcerting.
Kia ora.

I didn't see the Stars and Stripes flown anywhere in NZ when I was there...
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Maz
Kia ora.

I didn't see the Stars and Stripes flown anywhere in NZ when I was there...
My neighbor flies it, along with the NZ. flag and the Silver fern.
Hope you enjoyed your stay.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

the Stars and stripes is flown under the NZ flag,
Which is a breach of etiquette:
http://www.mch.govt.nz/nzflag/protocol.html

Within New Zealand, the New Zealand Flag takes precedence over all other national flags and house flags. However, international practice forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another in time of peace.

When the New Zealand Flag is flown with the flags of other nations, each flag should be the same size and should fly from a separate flagpole of the same height.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:58 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbor flies it, along with the NZ. flag and the Silver fern.
Hope you enjoyed your stay.
Loved it, moving there in 2 or 3 months' time. Whereabouts were you visiting? We're Welly-bound.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Which is a breach of etiquette:

Within New Zealand, the New Zealand Flag takes precedence over all other national flags and house flags. However, international practice forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another in time of peace.

When the New Zealand Flag is flown with the flags of other nations, each flag should be the same size and should fly from a separate flagpole of the same height.
That's awfully PC of the Kiwis... (shame that )
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
That's awfully PC of the Kiwis... (shame that )
It's the same in the United States:
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

... 11. When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace. The order of precedence for flags generally is National flags (US first, then others in alphabetical order in English), State (host state first, then others in the order of admission) and territories (Washington DC, Puerto Rico, etc.), Military (in order of establishment: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard), then other.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's the same in the United States:
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

... 11. When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace. The order of precedence for flags generally is National flags (US first, then others in alphabetical order in English), State (host state first, then others in the order of admission) and territories (Washington DC, Puerto Rico, etc.), Military (in order of establishment: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard), then other.

Anyone know why the Australian flag can't be flown at night unless illuminated? Seems like a curious tradition to me.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tableland
Anyone know why the Australian flag can't be flown at night unless illuminated? Seems like a curious tradition to me.
It has to be illuminated so the seagulls can see to s**t on it.

Only joking - honest.......
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most countries are the same, it's out of respect.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Most countries are the same, it's out of respect.
Right. Makes sense. I asked because when I was in Canada last there were lots of flags fluttering about at night. But I guess I'll see the same in Australia.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

Right. Makes sense. I asked because when I was in Canada last there were lots of flags fluttering about at night. But I guess I'll see the same in Australia.
Flag etiquette (in western countries) often more a matter of respect and good citizenship rather than law.

http://www.australianflag.org.au/ is the Australian National Flag Association and has details of Australian flag traditions and protocol.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:41 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Flags are often flown at night, including (sometimes) national flags. According to tradition (and good manners), national flags really ought to be taken down at or before sunset and not be raised again until after sunrise (or, perhaps, since the advent of flood-lighting, they should be flood-lit if left up). But this custom is often not observed, and no doubt it is less observed in some countries than in others.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Maz;4962929]Loved it, moving there in 2 or 3 months' time. Whereabouts were you visiting? We're Welly-bound.

We live in Central Otago, Maz, I am a kiwi native, one
of the large brown types of the Ngapuhi Iwi .
A Maori of one of the northern tribes.

Best of luck for your move to Wellington.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=JAJ;4962917]Which is a breach of etiquette:

I was taking the urine.
And no, we do not get children to swear alligeience to
the crown each morning.